Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Springfield Digital Rain Gauge & Thermometer gave up over the winter. Still reading the temp but wont read rain anymore. We rec'd this as a gift from my FIL about 5 years ago and it would appear in reading the reviews we got more out of it than most people did.

Amazon.com: Springfield 91505-1 Digital Rain Gauge with Thermometer: Home & Kitchen

I was curious as to what the GTT-Nation is using for your rain measurement and temperature readings. As ours is now in the dumpster, any suggestions as to a products or products we should look into...would be appreciated. The Springfield we had was at the low end and I would certainly be interested in something better and more robust that could provide both temp and rain reading.

Thank you in advance for your input and thoughts.

Doug

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use the cheap test tube like rain gauges (three at different spots to compare the collected amount of water) and two La Crosse digital remote thermometers (sensors at different sides of the house to ensure shade. Sensors have different frequency).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am partial to the La Crosse Technology brand, but then again I work for them. We have almost all of our products on Amazon, Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology . If you get one of the professional units you can even view it online or from your phone. Let me know if you have questions about them.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think my mom just got one of the La Crosse weather stations. At least it sure looks like the ones on Amazon. Seems to work good. No rain gauge though.

I just use one of the cheap plastic rain gauges from Home Depot, and an old thermometer mounted to a porch post outside a window.

·
Registered
770 Posts
There are several old school rain gauges around here. Plus the fancy gizmo the wife got me for Christmas, that has the rain gauge, hygrometer, temp. baro, and all that stuff, plus it records data for review.

She got it in town, at the Thermometer store..yep, we have one of those in town. Only one stoplight, but dangit, we have a dirt track, Two bars, five Churches, and a Thermometer store.:laugh:

MTC Home

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am partial to the La Crosse Technology brand, but then again I work for them. We have almost all of our products on Amazon, Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology . If you get one of the professional units you can even view it online or from your phone. Let me know if you have questions about them.
Oh well than, why do my sensor/transmitter units die all the time? The receivers chuck along without any problems, but the outside units (in rain protected areas croak every couple of years) forcing me to buy the entire set new!

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
I have an Oregon Scientific model that was top of the line when I bought it 10 - 12 years ago. The rain gauge and anemometer croaked a couple of years ago due to a lightning storm. The thermometer/hygrometer still work, and so do the extra t/h indoor sensors.

My only gripes with it are the clock is not radio controlled to the atomic clock, and it uses a serial port to talk with the computer. So it's just a standalone unit on my desk.

Another brand I've heard of; but have no experience with is Davis.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
I think I paid $400 for my Oregon Scientific that has the Radio Shack brand name on it. If I got the exact same thing with OS' name on it the cost would have been $500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts