Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello e'rrbody!

As most of you know, it's been raining a LOT in lots of places.

Even my culverts couldn't keep up, and I got overwash and washouts in a few places. Crusher run gravel all now down in my grass.

This seems like a great excuse to buy a landscape rake! The gravel is maybe a bit too small for 1" tine spacing, but if I pull up some grass with the tines I won't cry. Grass will grow back for free; gravel I gotta pay for! Most of the displaced gravel is in thin, longs streams. I'm guessing I back up from the road to the end of the gravel trail, lower rake and just drag it up to the road? Has anybody done this? Will it work?

I'm NOT gonna go fetch little rocks back with a bucket- machines were made for this sort of thing. And I can't leave it; it will destroy my mower blades!

P.S. I can fix the ruts, kinda need to work on the grade/crown/slope anyway.

P.S.S. 1025 and the TSC/Tartar 5', probably add the wheel kit too.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Having a landscape rake and a gravel driveway, and having tried similar tasks, I highly doubt it is going to work. The tines on a landscape rake are spaced to capture bigger rocks and debris. Smaller gravel is going to slip right through. The rake will also do more damage to the grass than you think. Once you tear out huge sections of turf it probably won't grow back without reseeding.

Do you have any photos you can share? Just how large and deep are the patches of gravel?

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
Having a landscape rake and a gravel driveway, and having tried similar tasks, I highly doubt it is going to work. The tines on a landscape rake are spaced to capture bigger rocks and debris. Smaller gravel is going to slip right through. The rake will also do more damage to the grass than you think. Once you tear out huge sections of turf it probably won't grow back without reseeding.

Do you have any photos you can share? Just how large and deep are the patches of gravel?
Agree with this.

The only way to really do it is with a broom. Not the long handle variety....

01CA4ECF-CADB-4108-A1B3-504BF69D9F80.jpeg

Around here I see a lot of people rent a portable power broom just for this - it has a paddle wheel instead of bristles that works great.

A04EBCAE-8907-411A-B0B8-4515D7CAFB00.jpeg

Stihl Kombi System with Power Broom / Power Sweep in action - YouTube

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Without yet hearing how long and deep the gravel areas are I will throw this out... you might want to consider using a shop vac. I know, it probably sounds crazy. But two years ago I had huge patches of gravel in the lawn from the melted snow. It would have been a lot of work to rake and shovel. So I decided to try the shop vac. So I loaded my 14-gallon shop vac and my small generator into my 17P lawn cart and off I went.

It worked amazing!! I was able to clean up all the gravel in no time. Obviously I had to empty out the shop vac a few times but it was relatively effortless and got all the stones out of the grass with no lawn damage.

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
Without yet hearing how long and deep the gravel areas are I will throw this out... you might want to consider using a shop vac. I know, it probably sounds crazy. But two years ago I had huge patches of gravel in the lawn from the melted snow. It would have been a lot of work to rake and shovel. So I decided to try the shop vac. So I loaded my 14-gallon shop vac and my small generator into my 17P lawn cart and off I went.

It worked amazing!! I was able to clean up all the gravel in no time. Obviously I had to empty out the shop vac a few times but it was relatively effortless and got all the stones out of the grass with no lawn damage.
That’s thinking outside the box - I like it!

·
Registered
149 Posts

Did the same with wash stone we had dumped in a front lawn while we were putting in a storm drain around back. Fetching gravel with the tractor, I spilled some all the way to the back. Homeowner wasn't happy with our raking efforts to clean up. Then we all asked "what do they want, us to vac it all up?" Well, why not give it a try. Worked better than I thought it would. We just kept dumping it into tractor bucket as we worked our way out.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts

I agree with Coaltrain!

Great Idea!!:good2:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Agree with this.

The only way to really do it is with a broom. Not the long handle variety

Around here I see a lot of people rent a portable power broom just for this - it has a paddle wheel instead of bristles that works great.

View attachment 675026

Stihl Kombi System with Power Broom / Power Sweep in action - YouTube
I bought a new Stihl combi weed whiper last fall. I didn’t get the paddle/broom attachment for it. I think I’ll go get one this spring as I have a lot of raking along my gravel parts of my driveway. Buddy has one and said it works great and he even uses it for light snow to clear his walks and decks. Kinda expensive but worth it as it usu takes me two days of raking every spring.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Careful back blading with the loader bucket might work well. A box blade could also be used. It really just depends on where the gravel got washed to and if you can get to it with a tractor. Unfortunately sometimes hand tools are the best tools for the job.

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
Careful back blading with the loader bucket might work well. A box blade could also be used. It really just depends on where the gravel got washed to and if you can get to it with a tractor. Unfortunately sometimes hand tools are the best tools for the job.
Been using hand tools all my life so I use what I know works. Plus it doesn't cost me hundreds of dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts

I use the shop vac for this task every Soring. It works great except that it fills up too quickly. But it saves lots of back breaking work compared to picking up by hand. I’m with Jay on this one!!

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

I second this idea! I did something similar when I was trenching in my yard in Texas and needed to drain water from the trench. Shop vac worked great. I know it's weird and you probably want to do it when no one is around so they don't try and have you committed but it will work!:laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
I get my gravel back when the ground is still froze under the grass and use my rear blade and scrape it onto the driveway again. Winter pretty much kills any green grass so no great loss if you do it at the right time. Anything left will grow into my grass on the driveway sides to keep it stronger for driving on.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I'd agree with the others that a landscape rake isn't the way to go.

I bought a new Stihl combi weed whiper last fall. I didn’t get the paddle/broom attachment for it. I think I’ll go get one this spring as I have a lot of raking along my gravel parts of my driveway. Buddy has one and said it works great and he even uses it for light snow to clear his walks and decks. Kinda expensive but worth it as it usu takes me two days of raking every spring.
Curious as to whether your buddy has one of the rubber paddle or one of the bristle brush attachments?

I'm thinking hard about buying one for my Kombi as well. Interestingly enough, neither of the two local Stihl dealers (one is also the JD dealer) say that they can remember the last time they sold one.

One thing I would say after watching some of the videos on that attachment is that I'd probably set it up to "pull" the gravel rather than to "push" the gravel. For me, it would be easier to handle that way, even if I did get some gravel thrown back my way. From what I've seen/read, you can set it up either way.

To the OP - Stihl's Kombi system is pretty great! One of the best purchases that I've made. I have the string trimmer attachment (about to try a blade on it), the blower, the pole saw and the tiller. Sullybear (and maybe Coaltrain) has the Echo version of the system and has posted some very favorable reviews of it.

What are these "hand tools" that you speak of??? :unknown: You do know that it's heresy to mention hand tools on a tractor forum, right? :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'd agree with the others that a landscape rake isn't the way to go.

Curious as to whether your buddy has one of the rubber paddle or one of the bristle brush attachments?

I'm thinking hard about buying one for my Kombi as well. Interestingly enough, neither of the two local Stihl dealers (one is also the JD dealer) say that they can remember the last time they sold one.

One thing I would say after watching some of the videos on that attachment is that I'd probably set it up to "pull" the gravel rather than to "push" the gravel. For me, it would be easier to handle that way, even if I did get some gravel thrown back my way. From what I've seen/read, you can set it up either way.

To the OP - Stihl's Kombi system is pretty great! One of the best purchases that I've made. I have the string trimmer attachment (about to try a blade on it), the blower, the pole saw and the tiller. Sullybear (and maybe Coaltrain) has the Echo version of the system and has posted some very favorable reviews of it.

What are these "hand tools" that you speak of??? :unknown: You do know that it's heresy to mention hand tools on a tractor forum, right? :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:
He has the rubber one. Love the Kombi and also on of the best purchase also. Looks like you can flip it over to pull which I also agree would be the best for gravel. Thinking about getting one, as said pricy but what isn’t anymore and not getting any younger. Plus using it for light snow also makes it a little more use than just once a year.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting ideas and comments from everyone.

I'll try to post up pics soon.

Another reason I want the rake is 'cuz this will be the first season this property will have a belly mower cut; it's been rotary for a long long time.

I know it's gonna be murder for the first few cuts, I wanna rake all the long stuff to the fence line and also gather some up for mulch.

I have an FS90; no Kombi :dunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts