Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a hydraulic top link on my tractor and wondering which would be more useful, a 3 point grading blade or rake? (Sure I could get both, but which is used the most).

The horse paddock is sand but they drag straw and poop on it, I'm thinking a rake best for that. Also lots of bare areas in pasture I need to smooth some and seed. A rake better for that or blade?

A rake may be handy for pine needles and leaves.

A blade would get limited use, asphalt driveway snow.

I've been using FEL bucket and I have removable tooth bar. It won't do the paddock well.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
I’d say for your case a rake. I’ve read that they also do well grooming driveways

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have an 8ft landscape/rock rake. I recommend that for your usage. I mostly use it on my driveway each spring and maybe once more during the year. You probably should get the trailing wheels so you can change the "dig" factor with the hydraulic top link. That is the way I do it on my driveway. I start with max dig, then lengthen the hyd top link to smooth it out.

Dave

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 8ft landscape/rock rake. I recommend that for your usage. I mostly use it on my driveway each spring and maybe once more during the year. You probably should get the trailing wheels so you can change the "dig" factor with the hydraulic top link. That is the way I do it on my driveway. I start with max dig, then lengthen the hyd top link to smooth it out.

Dave
I was thinking about a 6 ft one. Would 40hp pull an 8ft ok? Driveway is paved. Thanks! You can't beat personal experience.
Tractor Supply has County Line...I guess they're okay for the money, or is it worth paying more for a better one?

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I was thinking about a 6 ft one. Would 40hp pull an 8ft ok? Driveway is paved. Thanks! You can't beat personal experience.
Tractor Supply has County Line...I guess they're okay for the money, or is it worth paying more for a better one?

Just as long as it is wider than the tractor.

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts

I just bought a 5’ from tractor supply, seems well built, used twice in the woods so far.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 5' king kutter XB rake. It's a light weight rake, so it doesn't do much to break up compacted dirt without making a lot of passes. But, I love it because its light weight and I can drag it over my grass and it doesn't tear it up. It works OK for sticks (much bettter than hand pickup/rake), really good at dethatching, great at moving around dirt in my garden to level it out, and it looks like it will do a fine job at preparing a seed bed for grass seed.

Biggest downside is that I'm going to have to spend a few hours making it QH compatible some day, other than that I use it way more than I expected.

Reactions: Kbar
1 - 7 of 7 Posts