Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting. For a very long time it's been Ford in 1st place with the F150 trailed by the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, and then Ram trucks. Seems like Chevy is slipping to 3rd. Never thought that would happen honestly. :unknown:

Chevy falls to 3rd place in truck sales.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,740 Posts
Interesting. For a very long time it's been Ford in 1st place with the F150 trailed by the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, and then Ram trucks. Seems like Chevy is slipping to 3rd. Never thought that would happen honestly. :unknown:

Chevy falls to 3rd place in truck sales.
Got 15 years out of my 98 Ram, only mechanical failure was the knuckle joints which I replaced myself, can't kick about
that.
Cosmetic wise, the clear coat started lifting at about 12 years, par for the course I figure. :dunno:

The only reason I didn't consider another Ram was the dealer moved out of town and Ford had a heck of a deal going on the F 150's
at that time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
chevy and gmc are not counted as one..if they were gm would out sell the ford.. y would one care how many truck/cars a manufacture sells? i mean mcdonald's sells the most hamburgers guess that means their the best:dunno: i buy what i like.. not what a statistics or commercial tells me

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Interesting topic and I'm with you Diesel, I would not have expected that. Considering Ram is the oldest body in the lineup makes you wonder. If you're a Chevy fan this is actually good news because they will probably offer some decent rebates to get there sales numbers back.

All three are good trucks, it just comes down to what you like.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Well Ford and Chevy need to quit thinking their vehicles are perfect and start offering competitive warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Well Ford and Chevy need to quit thinking their vehicles are perfect and start offering competitive warranties.

I'd say that the fact that they DON'T offer competitive warranties means that they KNOW their vehicles aren't perfect....... how would they make so much profit from their repair bays if they actually stood by their vehicles???

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Interesting topic and I'm with you Diesel, I would not have expected that. Considering Ram is the oldest body in the lineup makes you wonder. If you're a Chevy fan this is actually good news because they will probably offer some decent rebates to get there sales numbers back.

All three are good trucks, it just comes down to what you like.
Haven't Bought any U.S. manufactures Pick Up in 20 Years I'll stick with my Nissan's with the exception of No 8 ft box my Titan XD is Just Perfect for Me and My Last Titan Never Had a Problem or My little Compact XE before that:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It was my fault... I just traded my 2010 Ram 1500 for a 2017 2500. I must have pushed the numbers over the top for Ram.

Rob

·
Old Pa-pa
11,740 Posts

I'd say that the fact that they DON'T offer competitive warranties means that they KNOW their vehicles aren't perfect....... how would they make so much profit from their repair bays if they actually stood by their vehicles???
Don't mistake what the dealer tries to "stick" you with for an extended warranty, they usually jack it up 100% or better of
what they pay Ford for it.
That's why the "big push" the day you buy.

You can buy the same Ford warranty at a few high volume dealers, makes no difference to Ford, a Ford warranty is a
Ford warranty, for less than half what the local dealer wanted in my case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
my opinion you have a problem with your ford under warranty take it in to ford ford says many thousands of$$$$$$$$$ to fix and guess what its not covered by warranty hmmmm but we can get you into a brand new truck with no money down. since most people dont have the cash they take the deal roll the loss into the new loan and drive off way upside down only to repeat the process again and again.

if ford had the best trucks why must they discount them so much to sell? yes gm and ram does but if their (ford) product was so great they wouldnt or have to discount .

just an example a co worker and i got on the subject he had a 06 superduty 6.0h no i had my trusty 06 ram cummins as we do we rib on each other after his truck needing new injectors many glow plug issues a tranny all on his dime. as matter of fact we got on the subject by him saying why dont you have to plug your truck in (it was winter) i say cummins dont use glow plugs so we got to discussing my truck had just over 120k miles never one problem not with just the cummins but the whole truck which is/was a chrysler .maybe not the norm but the truth

long story i know but in the end he did admit he wanted to buy a ram/cummins first but they wouldnt come down much on price he went to ford and ford gave him a offer he couldnt refuse.

so lots into these # then they tell you.. buy what you like but i work on my own stuff and i can tell you i dont have the means to take the cab off my truck when the engine needs repair:gizmo: duramax good engine but still a bit of a nightmare to work on like just the water pump 8hr job on the duramax 20 min job on the cummins with shop rates near or at 200$hr where i live that = lots of dollars

i dont care if jd sold one tractor a year and big orange a million like you guys did we bought the jd's because they are the best and if we need to work on them we know we can. and also always get parts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
my opinion you have a problem with your ford under warranty take it in to ford ford says many thousands of$$$$$$$$$ to fix and guess what its not covered by warranty hmmmm but we can get you into a brand new truck with no money down. since most people dont have the cash they take the deal roll the loss into the new loan and drive off way upside down only to repeat the process again and again.
Sounds like EXACTLY what they tried to do to me. I now drive a Ram.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I drive a 2015 ram 1500 and work at a dealer and we see very little trucks for any major problems the hemi engine has been great and the Cummins is indestructible and now that they use a zf or aisian transmission they are almost indestructible :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I know, hard to relay sarcasm through text

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
A lot of this depends on how total sales by manufactures are calculated. Years ago, total sales were figured by the number of cars delivered to customers.
From what I remember, a few years ago that was changed. Now total sales are figured on the number of cars delivered to dealer lots. This is why dealer lots are now packed with cars.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Don't mistake what the dealer tries to "stick" you with for an extended warranty, they usually jack it up 100% or better of
what they pay Ford for it.
That's why the "big push" the day you buy.

You can buy the same Ford warranty at a few high volume dealers, makes no difference to Ford, a Ford warranty is a
Ford warranty, for less than half what the local dealer wanted in my case.
My wife has an extended warranty on her Ford Edge. I know maybe it's more of a dealer problem but twice now she has work done and they hand her a very sizable bill. Then I have to sit their service consultants down like first graders at story time and read the warranty policy out loud to them. Then they adjust the bill much more to her liking:banghead::thumbup1gif:
Again more of a dealer thing but before that she had a Chevy Equinox with an extended warranty and I never paid out of pocket for as much as a taillight bulb and always had a rental car waiting if it had to be overnight. Same price for both extended warranties through two different manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
89420 hit the nail on the head earlier in this thread... The reason Ford is "#1" is because Chevrolet and GMC are counted separately and NOT allowed to be counted under the single GM moniker. If all GM trucks were counted together, Ford wouldn't be first, and RAM wouldn't be second.

Why do I not put any weight into statistics or "star rating systems"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

Numbers can be manipulated to show whatever you want to show.

·
Registered
967 Posts
When I bought my 2017 Super Duty, Chevrolet was bashing Ford's Alu-Mum bed in their commercials. I kinda thought at that time, How strange it was for Chevrolet needs to bash rather than to pump their product. Seems like they had no faith in it. Reminds me of the Politicians saying vote for me because I'm not my opponent.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Ha Ha! Ford advertisement equals Fake News!:mocking: Seriously though, the majority of prospective truck buyers now days shop for price, not make. If it still holds true, Dodge is still the cheaper price of the three. I'm still one of a dying breed. A brand loyalist. Always have and always will be.

Except for my very first vehicle, a '63 Ford Fairlane, a '58 Rambler that was my "beater" back and forth to work car, while I was building my '67 Chevelle SS, and a couple CJ5's along the way, I have been a GM guy.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts