Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 x500 sputters and shuts down when I engage the pto. It acts like I have the choke on. It will do this several times and then take off and run perfectly. I have notice over the last year or so that once in a while when I am towing a trailer up a hill it will sputter and die but starts right up again. It will die a couple times and then take off and go up the hill with no problem. The tractor has about 650 hours on it. Could it be possible that the overhead valves need to be readjusted?

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to check the valves if it's been a while but I would first check/change the fuel filter and it could also be some blockage in the carburetor causing issues when the engine has a good load on it.

Reactions: MattL

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,784 Posts
New fuel filter, make sure the air filter is CLEAN and don't clean it with compressed air as it often causes the filter to collapse and plug. If the filter is questionable, replace the outer and inner filters (if so equipped).

Also, run a fuel system cleaner through the fuel system by adding it to the tank. Sea Foam is a good one and use a strong dose. But if the fuel system has the "crud" in it from ethanol fuel it might take a carb rebuild to resolve the issue .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. I will try this. I do use stable in all my gas and I run high test gas as well. I know it still contains ethanol but have been told that high test is best for these smaller engines.

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
Thank you for the info. I will try this. I do use stable in all my gas and I run high test gas as well. I know it still contains ethanol but have been told that high test is best for these smaller engines.
The Operator's Manual for almost all small engines, including your X500, specifies the use of regular grade unleaded fuel with an octane rating of 87 octane or higher. Fuel blends containing up to 10% ethanol or up to 15% MTBE reformulated fuel are acceptable.

The absolute best thing you can do for your engine and fuel system is to run non-Ethanol fuel but not all areas have it available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always been told that there is a little less ethanol in the premium grade, although I don't know how they can say that as all the grades have at least ten percent ethanol. I live near a lake and the boat companies advertise on the radio all the time to use the premium blend as it has a little less ethanol in it! Go figure.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Octane rating has nothing to do with ethanol.

Mike in Okla
Correct, but it is true that some brands (in this area at least) will have different amounts of ethanol depending on grade.

Here, Shell has
Regular up to 10%
mid-grad up to 5%
premium 0%

Stations list the amount of ethanol on the pump, and not every brand has 0% premium -- so if concerned about the ethanol, it's necessary to verify for the brand desired.

E-85 is nearly impossible to find here. (some co-op locations have it last I checked)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correct, but it is true that some brands (in this area at least) will have different amounts of ethanol depending on grade.

Here, Shell has
Regular up to 10%
mid-grad up to 5%
premium 0%

Stations list the amount of ethanol on the pump, and not every brand has 0% premium -- so if concerned about the ethanol, it's necessary to verify for the brand desired.

E-85 is nearly impossible to find here. (some co-op locations have it last I checked)
I learned something new! At my local station you can get ethanol free gas in 3 different grades and the only ethanol option is 87.

Mike in Okla

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.