Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. One week and counting till I finally go to pick this thing up.. I've rented a trailer for the job but it doesn't have a ramp so I have to use my own.. They're straight up 7foot alluminium ramps rated at 800lbs a piece.. With the loader and mmm I'll be at about 2000lbs.. You think my ramps are ok for that.. The loading height is about 36 inches verticle but still, I'd hate for these things to bend or break while loading.. Think its safe to assume the 800lb rating is way under what they can actually take?.. Anyone have pics of ramps they use so I can compare mine.. Just trying to get a sense of what you more experienced guys think..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, here's the skinny.. I bought this tractor and a new atv from the same dealer.. The problem is that he's the only Polaris/John Deere combo dealer within 3hrs of me.. So I scored a heck of a deal on the two machines.. But of course it means I have to figure out transport myself.. The good news is that the dealer has a fixed loading ramp that will make loading them up easy.. And on the back end, I'll have to take my time and brace my ramps every two feet with 2x4's.. I'll just wedge cut one end an pound them into the ground 12 inches or so and brace them laterally with some large stones.. Unless you lads have some other suggestions on how best to brace the underside of the ramps as I unload?..

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Ok, here's the skinny.. I bought this tractor and a new atv from the same dealer.. The problem is that he's the only Polaris/John Deere combo dealer within 3hrs of me.. So I scored a heck of a deal on the two machines.. But of course it means I have to figure out transport myself.. The good news is that the dealer has a fixed loading ramp that will make loading them up easy.. And on the back end, I'll have to take my time and brace my ramps every two feet with 2x4's.. I'll just wedge cut one end an pound them into the ground 12 inches or so and brace them laterally with some large stones.. Unless you lads have some other suggestions on how best to brace the underside of the ramps as I unload?..
Glad you got a heck of a deal, one thing. When my wife and I bought the Gator and 1026r fel &bh , they delivered both of them no cost making two different trips NO QUESTIONS. Something was wrong with one of two and they had to pick it up and bring it back to us the next or following day all at no EXTRA COST. Each delivery was appx 65 miles one way. So why won't yours do the same thing at no cost.
I would be looking for a NEW DEALER , ,real quick.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you have a hill in your area you can back up to unload onto? I would not use under rated ramps with makeshift supports if the trailer deck is 36" off the ground unles you really know what you are doing. I may on a trailer deck 12"or 14" high, but a drop of 36" is pretty risky for something bad happening. Temporary support that high would need to be very stable.

Reactions: rtgt and DRobinson

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
I personally wouldn't risk dumping my brand new zero time tractor on it's side and get hurt in the process over under-rated ramps. Can you borrow, rent something else? Maybe you want to look into buying a trailer. After all, you'll need the option to haul it again in the future right?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you got a heck of a deal, one thing. When my wife and I bought the Gator and 1026r fel &bh , they delivered both of them no cost making two different trips NO QUESTIONS. Something was wrong with one of two and they had to pick it up and bring it back to us the next or following day all at no EXTRA COST. Each delivery was appx 65 miles one way. So why won't yours do the same thing at no cost.
I would be looking for a NEW DEALER , ,real quick.
Honestly, I didn't give it much thought.. The dealer closest to me picks up and delivers within a 100km distance (60miles).. This dealer is just over 200miles away.. It seems to me that its an unreasonable distance to expect free delivery.. Maybe I'm wrong?.. I will say however that you have inspired a question for my dealer that I'll call and ask him tomorrow.. Considering that I'm picking it up myself, I will politely let him know that I expect something for my trouble.. Whether it be swag like sweat shirts, hats, coffee mugs etc to the tune of $100 or so.. Or if he wants to back a few extra $$ off the deal we'll handle it that way.. To the rest of the feedback I've gotten here and greatly appreciate.. No one sounds to confident in any method involving my ramps.. So I think I'll heed your warnings and come up with something else.. I don't have any higher or lower ground worth mentioning to back up to.. I'd buy a new trailer but I have zero plans to haul this thing anywhere.. If it ever does have to go to the local dealer near me.. I'll have them come get it.. I think I'll head to the shop I use to service my car and to see if they have some ramps I can borrow thats meant for weight light this.. Or I'll head to the neighbors about a mile from me and unload there.. I think there might be an area on their property that I can get about level with the back of the trailer and the ground. I certainly will not be using my ramps so don't worry.. I won't be showing you a picture of a 1023 on its side...... I hope.. ha!.. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Since you HAD to eat the transportation costs, don't eat any possible damages. Make the dealer load your trailer, it's the very least he should be doing! He should have access to a roll-back if not his own ramps, etc., he can load the machine on it and then onto your trailer. Then you can find the aformentiond embankment around home to unload safely...

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Every dealer, and every deal is structured differently. The dealer has fixed costs in a tractor sale. Delivery costs dealers something, and that cost varies per dealer. You have a truck, trailer, and driver at the minimum. Some smaller dealers may not have dedicated delivery drivers, which may mean pulling a service tech out of the shop to get it done. With the customer 200 miles away, you're realistically talking about 3 hours one way. By the time you account for loading, unloading, going over the equipment, etc that's a full 8 hour day for someone. The dealer is paying for the truck, trailer, driver's time, and loses that guy for the entire day to do other jobs.

Some deals obviously have enough margin that the dealer can cover transport, especially if the customer is close to the shop. If the customer is far enough away, and the pricing cut down enough then the dealer may not be able to cover transport. Every sale is a made up of a lot of variables. It's certainly worth asking what they could do, but I certainly wouldn't write off a dealer just because they can't deliver for free on one particular deal.

Sounds like you have loading covered at the dealer end, for unloading I'd go with the previous suggestion to back the trailer into a low spot/ up to a hill, then use shorter ramps or possibly build another dirt/ gravel berm up against the trailer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
well we hope you get it home and unloaded ok. I do have a trailer that is likely capable of hauling mine but asked the dealer to deliver, its only 20 miles and he did no charge at least no extra.
I simply did not want my first experience with a new tractor to be the stress off loading, hauling and unloading it. Seems if he can't deliver it,then it would be worth the rental for the right equipment so as not to take such a risk with that heavy and expensive of a load.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Can you rent a trailer with ramps or a gate? As others have stated I would not use the ramps that you have. Find a trailer with a gate no brainier loading or unloading piece of cake.

Doug

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Honestly, I didn't give it much thought.. The dealer closest to me picks up and delivers within a 100km distance (60miles).. This dealer is just over 200miles away.. It seems to me that its an unreasonable distance to expect free delivery.. Maybe I'm wrong?.. I will say however that you have inspired a question for my dealer that I'll call and ask him tomorrow.. Considering that I'm picking it up myself, I will politely let him know that I expect something for my trouble.. Whether it be swag like sweat shirts, hats, coffee mugs etc to the tune of $100 or so.. Or if he wants to back a few extra $$ off the deal we'll handle it that way.. To the rest of the feedback I've gotten here and greatly appreciate.. No one sounds to confident in any method involving my ramps.. So I think I'll heed your warnings and come up with something else.. I don't have any higher or lower ground worth mentioning to back up to.. I'd buy a new trailer but I have zero plans to haul this thing anywhere.. If it ever does have to go to the local dealer near me.. I'll have them come get it.. I think I'll head to the shop I use to service my car and to see if they have some ramps I can borrow thats meant for weight light this.. Or I'll head to the neighbors about a mile from me and unload there.. I think there might be an area on their property that I can get about level with the back of the trailer and the ground. I certainly will not be using my ramps so don't worry.. I won't be showing you a picture of a 1023 on its side...... I hope.. ha!.. Thanks guys..
Being the dealer is 200 miles away is a different story. I can see why he will deliver one but not both. That is asking a lot . Still won't hurt to ask about a little help , Shirt or hat, something and if not getting a heck of a deal . OK.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you rent a trailer with ramps or a gate? As others have stated I would not use the ramps that you have. Find a trailer with a gate no brainier loading or unloading piece of cake.

Doug
Man, I tried.. the only place to rent a trailer strong enough for the tractor is u-haul of all places.. They have a 6x12 tandem axle trailer.. They offer them with and without a ramp and of course the two units they have with a ramp are already spoken for during the time I need the trailer.. If there's a cancellation they know to hold it for me.. But beyond that, I have figure out a way to unload myself.. If I have to, I'll build my own fixed ramp.. An upside to being a bit of a pack rat is that I can never bring myself to throw out scrap lumber so I can throw something together. Its a PIA for a one time off load but better than half assing it and doing it the wrong way..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Obviously your ramps have some strength, its' just that you are going beyond their limits. However putting a simple 2"x4" brace under the middle of each ramp should give you the additional support you need. I would cut one end at an angle to match the angle of the ramp and put a foot on the other end (if you are unloading on dirt) if not, no foot is needed. You can get fancier if you are worried about the brace falling out of position, but if you have a spotter, once you put weight on the ramps, the braces probably won't move. Unloading into a hill will lower the angle of descent and make you more comfortable.
Enjoy you new purchases!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Do you have a hill in your area you can back up to unload onto? I would not use under rated ramps with makeshift supports if the trailer deck is 36" off the ground unles you really know what you are doing. I may on a trailer deck 12"or 14" high, but a drop of 36" is pretty risky for something bad happening. Temporary support that high would need to be very stable.
What he said. Why don't you go down with your rig and pickup the gator and they can follow you back with the tractor. You halve their responsibility and they haul the heavy one. Use your ramps on the gator although i have to say a 36" drop with short ramps sounds like a hairy ride to me, at least weight wise you are in the ball park. I would only support ramps with solid stacked blocking not some rube goldberg short term construction project, go buy some cement block if you have to . Good luck and be safe they are only new once.

·
Registered
374 Posts
To bad you did not get a mini excavator, you would not need a ramp.

I've been practicing this with my 1025 FILB. Granted my trailer isn't that far off the ground, it's still a little "rattling" when you're suspended off the ground via hydraulics. I'll post a video after I've perfected "the move".

Reactions: felixm22

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
What he said. Why don't you go down with your rig and pickup the gator and they can follow you back with the tractor. You halve their responsibility and they haul the heavy one. Use your ramps on the gator although i have to say a 36" drop with short ramps sounds like a hairy ride to me, at least weight wise you are in the ball park. I would only support ramps with solid stacked blocking not some rube goldberg short term construction project, go buy some cement block if you have to . Good luck and be safe they are only new once.
The issue with having the dealer involved with transport is that its 750kms (400 miles) round trip.. I have changed my mode of transport though.. I will now be using a 17ft cube truck to transport both machines.. The deck height is about the same as the trailer so the unloading issue remains.. But this is better than towing in my opinion.. Easy tie off points in the truck for securing both machines.. No chance of loosing a seat in the wind or if it rains dealing with all of that..The atv will be sideways up against the front wall of the truck.. Its 48" wide, leaving me 13feet for the tractor.. Enterprise hooked me up.. Just charging me $75 for two days with unlimited mileage vs U-haul at $40 for the 1 day with a trailer and having to have it back before they close the same day.. I'll keep ya' posted on what I come up with for unloading.. The devil's in the details as they say.. And when I did this deal I was so focused on the deal itself that get'n the dang things unloaded was a detail I overlooked.. ha!

Reactions: JohnFromOKC
1 - 20 of 25 Posts