Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to finish the last strip of mowing with the 1025R gauge on empty, I ran out of fuel. I know the 1025R has a self-bleeding fuel system, and after adding diesel it started back up and ran just fine. And in the future I'll be more aware of the fuel level and fill up earlier.

My question is about the mist, which looked a lot like white smoke, coming out of the fuel tank opening as I added the new fuel. I've not seen this before. I'm assuming it was diesel fuel vapor. Was this just the thin film of diesel on the walls of the empty tank vaporizing? When running out of fuel is there a partial vacuum created in the tank? Just curious.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and keane

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
What was the outside temperature at the time? As you know, the fuel gets heated by the engine as it gets recirculated back to the tank. This is what causes condensation in a partially filled tank. If the temperature outside was cool you may have been seeing "steam" vapor from the heated fuel.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the outside temperature at the time? As you know, the fuel gets heated by the engine as it gets recirculated back to the tank. This is what causes condensation in a partially filled tank. If the temperature outside was cool you may have been seeing "steam" vapor from the heated fuel.
Outside temperature was in the mid 60s, so that should qualify as cool. At least for my location this time of year. I didn't think about the return fuel being heated. Thanks.

Reactions: keane

·
Registered
12 Posts
As you know, the fuel gets heated by the engine as it gets recirculated back to the tank. This is what causes condensation in a partially filled tank. If the temperature outside was cool you may have been seeing "steam" vapor from the heated fuel.
Fuel Gets returned to tank ??? I have not seen a return line on my 1025R :unknown:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Fuel Gets returned to tank ??? I have not seen a return line on my 1025R :unknown:
IIRC, the second line is the return line. You can see it in the pics here (next to the small filter).

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/125418-relocated-small-fuel-filter-added-shut-off-valve.html

On my Jetta, TDI, I don't believe there is a return to the tank, but I'm sure there is a return of excess fuel to the filter.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
AFAIK, all fuel injected systems recirculate the fuel back to the tank. Hose #26 below looks like a good candidate.

1025R_tank.jpg

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
IIRC, the second line is the return line. You can see it in the pics here (next to the small filter).

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/125418-relocated-small-fuel-filter-added-shut-off-valve.html

On my Jetta, TDI, I don't believe there is a return to the tank, but I'm sure there is a return of excess fuel to the filter.

Just my 2 cents.
A TDI -at least my old ones - do return to the tank. But....it also returns to the filter.

There is a thermostatic tee there in the pic - the white part with the Mickey Mouse clip. That is the return line. When the engine is cold the tee is closed on the tank side and recirculates the warm fuel to the filter so the engine gets warmer fuel. Once warmed up the tee is open and let’s the fuel return to the tank.

C0CCCD03-24A6-4205-97AA-7D3420976798.jpeg

71C8A8FA-E5E2-4148-8DAD-E7A928E8CA8E.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,459 Posts
Reactions: RetiredDoc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts