Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I usually make this all through the winter, but seem to go through it like mad this time of year especially. This recipe is adapted from my mom's recipe for Chex Mix, or "Nuts and Bolts, as she has always called it. You can use whatever combination of cereals or pretzels, nuts, etc., but I listed what I use so you can have an idea of the quantity for the recipe.

1/2 box wheat chex
1/2 box corn chex
1/2 box plain mini shredded wheat
2 reg. size bags or 1 family size bag of pretzels (I use Snyder's Snaps)

1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. garlic salt
2 tsp. onion salt

5 tbsp. of dry ranch dressing/seasoning

Preheat oven to 225deg. Mix cereal and pretzels in a large roasting pan. In a small saucepan combine butter and worcestershire sauce and heat until butter is melted. Whisk in garlic and onion salt, stirring until salt is dissolved. Pour this mixture over cereal and pretzels and stir well. Then add 3 tbsp. of the ranch seasoning and stir well again. Then add the rest of the ranch seasoning and stir well. Cover and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes, bake uncovered.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451493311.649753.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
AND,,, DO NOT double the ingredients to get a larger batch,,, we tried that,,,

2 hours in the oven was not enough,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on my friend, and it gets too hard to stir it and get the seasonings spread evenly.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Jamie, you've been officially inducted into the GTT cookbook. :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
My own personal thoughts, vegetable oil, or margarine is not healthier than butter. And calories will be the same as the butter.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My own personal thoughts, vegetable oil, or margarine is not healthier than butter. And calories will be the same as the butter.
i think margarine has plastic in it.... or was that marshmallows?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i think margarine has plastic in it.... or was that marshmallows?
We have not had margarine in the house since we bought the house in 1982,,, :dunno:

but,,, we have had marshmallows!! :yahoo:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I too keep a bag of marshmallows in the house. While they are not truly marshmallow, (if you look at the ingredients), they are better than a throat lozenge to hold in your mouth, for sore or scratchy throats. Hardest thing is not eating them, instead of letting them dissolve. But I have that problem with lozenges too!

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I too keep a bag of marshmallows in the house. While they are not truly marshmallow, (if you look at the ingredients), they are better than a throat lozenge to hold in your mouth, for sore or scratchy throats. Hardest thing is not eating them, instead of letting them dissolve. But I have that problem with lozenges too!
It's in my DNA. If it's brittle I have no control...it is automatically bitten down on; if it makes a crunch, the process is repeated until the offending object is gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts