Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully paint falls into the tools and equipment category.

Does anyone else have a problem with recent Rust-Oleum aerosol paint cans losing their propellant and going dead prematurely? Today I grabbed a can of primer that was 3/4 full. It gave one little sputter and then nada... no more pressure. I seem to have a lot of cans lately that are 1/2 to 3/4 full that when I go to use them they are no longer pressurized with propellant. Granted, some of these cans are a couple years old but should they be leaking down so quickly? They are stored in the basement at a constant 70-ish degrees.

It seems to be primarily the newer
Rust-Oleum spray cans. I have older Rust-Oleum and other brand cans of paint that are 10 years old and they still spray just fine.

Maybe it's time to switch to Krylon. :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have never had a paint can loose pressure,, but, I have had a LOT of paint cans clog the nozzle and act like there is no pressure,,

You mentioned sputtering,, that is exactly how my clogged nozzle cans act,, a little sputtering, then the flow completely quits.

If it is pressure,, there is a guy on YouTube that shows how to re-pressurize a can,,
I think he used a tubeless tire valve stem, and compressed air is put into the can
That would be good for something like penetrating oil,,
but, I think paint would need an inert gas or propane so the paint was not cured in the can,,, :dunno:

Oh, yea, the reason I know that my sputtering cans were clogged,, is that frequently, the cans are used as targets,,
when hit, if there is a piece of cardboard behind the can,, pretty images are created!! :flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
J, Usually the problem occurs with old cans. It's not really a case of losing pressure, but mostly the paint separating inside the can and the pigments/solvents/etc become clogged in the tube inside of the can. Sometimes they spray, or sputter, for a few seconds and you can put another nozzle on. I've got a drawer full of old nozzle that I've cleaned with parts cleaner and keep as "spares." If changing the nozzle doesn't help, you're pretty much screwed...so just throw the can away.

Also, when you buy a can in the store, SHAKE IT, right then and there. If it takes more than 2 or 3 minutes to get the ball to rattle, find another store! The same "stuff" that's holding the ball in place on/in the bottom of the can is also just a hard/firm in the bottom of the tube inside of the can and usually won't spray. Bob

·
Registered
23,618 Posts
Have you held the can upside down and sprayed?

I learned this just last winter. It takes me years to use up a can of spray paint. I learned that each time you are done spraying to hold it upside down and give it a quick spray which cleans the nozzle out.

I had never done that before.

I had a can that was acting just like you explain. This can was at least 3 years old and spent 2 winters in the barn (unheated). I got a couple sputters out of it and that was it. So I held the can upside down and got it to spray some clear. Then I could paint for 10 seconds or so. Rinse and repeat and I got done what I needed.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you held the can upside down and sprayed?

I learned this just last winter. It takes me years to use up a can of spray paint. I learned that each time you are done spraying to hold it upside down and give it a quick spray which cleans the nozzle out.

I had never done that before.

I had a can that was acting just like you explain. This can was at least 3 years old and spent 2 winters in the barn (unheated). I got a couple sputters out of it and that was it. So I held the can upside down and got it to spray some clear. Then I could paint for 10 seconds or so. Rinse and repeat and I got done what I needed.
Yes, I always do that as well but... what I have found in the past year or so is that this procedure works great with cans that have the old style male nozzle. You hold them upside down and spray for a few seconds until the paint stops and the mist becomes clear.

But... paint cans that have the newer style large female nozzle will not clear. I can hold them upside down and spray for 15-seconds and paint just keeps coming out.

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
12,165 Posts
Haven't had trouble "yet" with Rust-Oleum not spraying or loosing pressure, the trouble is trying to find Rust-Oleum
since Lowes quit handling it for the crappy Krylon.

Have to run 25 miles now to Tractor Supply to find Rust-Oleum . :banghead:

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't had trouble "yet" with Rust-Oleum not spraying or loosing pressure, the trouble is trying to find Rust-Oleum
since Lowes quit handling it for the crappy Krylon.

Have to run 25 miles now to Tractor Supply to find Rust-Oleum . :banghead:
That's weird, my local Lowe's still carries Rust-Oleum. I just bought some a month ago. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to give the nozzle a second inspection. Hopefully that is the problem.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,165 Posts
That's weird, my local Lowe's still carries Rust-Oleum. I just bought some a month ago. I wonder if it's a regional thing.
Local store had a great selection of Rust-Oleum rattle can (especially farm implement colors), all the primers to boot.
They also had a decent amount of Valspar rattle can paints, my second choice.

Now the whole rattle can section is Krylon (which in my experience is crap), plus no implement colors anymore.

Don't know what happened?

·
Registered
23,618 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to give the nozzle a second inspection. Hopefully that is the problem.
Maybe if you could figure out a way to run a wire or something through the nozzle.

If nothing else you could then eliminate a clogging issue if it still persist.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe if you could figure out a way to run a wire or something through the nozzle.

If nothing else you could then eliminate a clogging issue if it still persist.
I have some other cans around that I can swap nozzles with.

Reactions: rtgt and Old Cajun

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, I always do that as well but... what I have found in the past year or so is that this procedure works great with cans that have the old style male nozzle. You hold them upside down and spray for a few seconds until the paint stops and the mist becomes clear.

But... paint cans that have the newer style large female nozzle will not clear. I can hold them upside down and spray for 15-seconds and paint just keeps coming out.

That's because the newer style can be used at any angle. So, you can't clear them out.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Lowe's is in a serious partnership thing with Sherwin Williams (and companies owned by them), as of early 2019. In accordance with that partnership, Lowes must remove product lines that compete with SW. Rustoleum is only one of those products.

So when they have sold their Rustoleum inventory, seems like we son't be seeing it there any time soon. That said, I see that Home Depot and Ace Hardware sell Rustoleum.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That said, I see that Home Depot and Ace Hardware sell Rustoleum.
The last couple visits to Walmart,, I noticed there was an extensive amount of Rustoleum spray paint on the shelves,,
(AND,, Krylon too!!)

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a related note, while googling around I discovered there are literally dozens of different replacement nozzles that you can buy for spray paint cans. They are designated by the color and shape of the tiny little nozzle insert. Apparently the big city graffiti folks have taken spray painting to a whole new level requiring a multitude of specialty nozzle designs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have had this problem with the cheap Walmart paint but not with the Rustoleum. It does seem to be a clog in the can tube and not the cap. I have tried switching a known clear cap and sometimes it will sputter a bit then stop again.

On the new style spray anyway paints I take the cap off and spray a little brake cleaner through them to keep the caps clear. Really haven't had a problem with the newer Rustoleum cans clogging whether I do that or not.

Our Lowes and Walmart have Krylon and Rustoleum on the shelf but both have switched to Krylon for the tractor implement paints. It only takes 4 or 5 cans of Krylon to cover the same as Rustoleum and you have to spray 5 or 6 light coats to keep it from running.

Tractor Supply has Rustoleum at twice the price or Majic for about 1-1/2 times the price of the other stores Rustoleum prices. The last project I did requiring JD green I caught the Majic on sale for $3.50 a can.

I rattle canned my old 855 with Rustoleum and the paint was flaking off in a few spots at 5 years. It was stored under a shed and I know the fender was sanded and prepped before I sprayed it. May have been something in the paint underneath that caused it. The tractor had been repainted before I got it. The paint under my spray job remained stuck to the metal but was severely faded.

·
Registered
23,618 Posts
I had always loved the Valspar implement paint sold at Tractor Supply. But some years back they switched to Majic. I didn’t have much luck with that paint - that was until a thread here somewhere talked about it.

Here the Majic paint is an enamel and takes a different approach. Once I read the instructions I’ve had good luck with it.

As was said above it was on sale a month or so ago for $3.50. I got myself a fan each of green, yellow, and primer. That will last me years.

In a nut shell - the Majic paint needs several light coats and you need to let it dry or “set” for 24 hours between coats. Once I conformed to the instructions I am happy with it. It wants to run however - I need to learn how to properly paint someday.....

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had always loved the Valspar implement paint sold at Tractor Supply. But some years back they switched to Majic. I didn’t have much luck with that paint - that was until a thread here somewhere talked about it.

Here the Majic paint is an enamel and takes a different approach. Once I read the instructions I’ve had good luck with it.

As was said above it was on sale a month or so ago for $3.50. I got myself a fan each of green, yellow, and primer. That will last me years.

In a nut shell - the Majic paint needs several light coats and you need to let it dry or “set” for 24 hours between coats. Once I conformed to the instructions I am happy with it. It wants to run however - I need to learn how to properly paint someday.....
You probably already know this but the number one thing you can do to become a better rattle can painter is to get yourself a paint can holder. Using one of these is almost as comfortable as using a air-powered spray gun. I once used one of these to paint my 9N fenders and wheels and got very professional results. I was able to empty several cans of paint with no hand fatigue and maintaining nice even strokes. I even use one for my brake cleaner and Fluid Film cans.

Make sure you get the "deluxe" model instead of the cheapest one. It holds the can better and the handle is more comfortable. It's the best $6.00 I ever spent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,597 Posts
I have never had a paint can loose pressure,, but, I have had a LOT of paint cans clog the nozzle and act like there is no pressure,,

Oh, yea, the reason I know that my sputtering cans were clogged,, is that frequently, the cans are used as targets,,
when hit, if there is a piece of cardboard behind the can,, pretty images are created!! :flag_of_truce:

:laugh:
Same here. I have a can of red in the barn that is half full but the nozzle is clogged.

I need to find some cardboard!

:lolol:

Looks like we both need some cardboard!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts