Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a ratchet rake for my 3320 FEL. It's a 72" bucket.

My options are the 68" RR (1/2 steel) or get the heavier 72" RR (5/8 steel).

Just wondering if I'm going to happy with the shorter RR. I know it's only lacking two inches on either side.

So those that have one a tad shorter than the bucket, do you wish the RR was wider?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but perhaps there's a darn good reason to leave a little wiggle room.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't think there's many people on here with a Ratchet Rake. Not sure why - they look pretty handy and the folks on "that other tractor forum" that have them, seem to like them. I've considered one for myself. I have a Piranha Tooth Bar which many people compare to the RR, but that's only going forward. I think where the RR shines is pulling stuff out.

All that being said, I'm not sure the extra 4" is going to make a difference one way or the other. But, with the thicker steel, the 72" is going to be more than 25% heavier than the 68". I think that 1/2" steel is going to be plenty thick for the average user of a Ratchet Rake. If you damage it, you're probably going to do some damage to your tractor in the process.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
For my 2030, 60 PTO HP, I bought the bigger one. But for your size, the smaller will be fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have one and it works great. It has cleared a lot of brush for me. Can't remember what size I have, but it fits all the way across my bucket. It was a good investment for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm curious, I looked up the ratchet rake, what does it do that a tooth bar doesn't? I don't really understand its purpose?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Toothbar has one set of teeth - pointing forward.

Ratchet Rake has two sets of teeth - one pointing forward and the other pointing downward. The forward teeth are for pushing into brush, knocking it over, etc., much like you'd use a toothbar in brush. The downward teeth are for back dragging - grabbing roots, small brush, etc. Really leaves a pretty nice finish on the ground.

I don't think that you can really dig with a Ratchet Rake like you can with a toothbar. I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't mind getting one for my tractor. I already have a Piranha Toothbar, but I could see where the Ratchet Rake would be handy as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts