Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new tractor/rotary cutter (RC 2072) and i didn't know chains or other guards were extra. I had to mow and I knew the area was free from debris, so I mowed. I will be in the future mowing area i don't know and would like a guard of some sort.

The chains and a little bit of cable from JD is over $300.

Are there 3rd party chains or guards, my google fu was seriously lacking on this - I tried for quite a while and got almost no where...

Or, do i just take my medicine and get the JD chains?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I wasn't aware that they came without a guard....

Some have the baler belt, others the chain.

Pretty sure they HAVE to come with a guard.

Reactions: JD4044M and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
I wasn't aware that they came without a guard....

Some have the baler belt, others the chain.

Pretty sure they HAVE to come with a guard.
Same thought here, I know mine came with chain guards front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD4044M and rtgt

·
Registered
937 Posts
I’ve never seen them without the guard. I’ve had chains on all of mine so I can’t comment on the rubber. Chains seem to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I am still a few thousand miles from home, but maybe I'll email the dealer and due to the quick nature in which they put it together they forgot to put the chains on.....

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
20 Series Cutters.PNG

Check out the bottom two lines, Front and Rear Guards...

·
Registered
208 Posts
My RC2072 came with the rear chain guard, the dealer never mentioned it was an extra. But, as you can see from the photo below, I no longer have a rear chain! I lost it the first couple weeks I owned the cutter. Seems that backing into small brush will bend the guard causing the cable to come off. The cable holds the chains. The good news was I found the cable - wrapped around the tines of my 6 foot tiller.

2F69D750-8FA3-4FAA-AA57-5AE31CE726A9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know it's not the same unit, but my RC2060 came with the belting in the front and the solid metal shield on the rear. Depending on how your dealer specs the mowers, it should have either the belting/metal or the chains.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
I am guessing the guards are optional. They are for other brands. My Bush Hog has chains. My first Woods nothing, my second Woods belting (front only).

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I just got my new tractor/rotary cutter (RC 2072) and i didn't know chains or other guards were extra. I had to mow and I knew the area was free from debris, so I mowed. I will be in the future mowing area i don't know and would like a guard of some sort.

The chains and a little bit of cable from JD is over $300.

Are there 3rd party chains or guards, my google fu was seriously lacking on this - I tried for quite a while and got almost no where...

Or, do i just take my medicine and get the JD chains?
Call dealer and tell them your wife is the states leading personal injury lawyer and she got hit in the a$$ with a rock standing 50 yards behind it. See how fast they show up with a chain guard. :lol:

Reactions: mopeman

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
I am guessing the guards are optional. They are for other brands. My Bush Hog has chains. My first Woods nothing, my second Woods belting (front only).
According to Mutton's site, it looks like the Frontier's are listed as options, in today's day and age if I were a dealer I would order them with front and rear guards. As mentioned before, my RC2060 came with front and rear chains.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to Mutton's site, it looks like the Frontier's are listed as options, in today's day and age if I were a dealer I would order them with front and rear guards. As mentioned before, my RC2060 came with front and rear chains.
That is where I looked and saw they were listed as options - that is what started me thinking about it..... That is why I worded my OP as thinking they were extra and the expense of the frontier version, I was merely asking about cheaper alternatives. Then it was suggested most came with them, so I asked my dealer how mine was specced and they haven't replied. If it was with no shields, I am fine with that, I just want a solution. Preferably not a $300 solution for a few feet of chain and a wire.

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
That is where I looked and saw they were listed as options - that is what started me thinking about it..... That is why I worded my OP as thinking they were extra and the expense of the frontier version, I was merely asking about cheaper alternatives. Then it was suggested most came with them, so I asked my dealer how mine was specced and they haven't replied. If it was with no shields, I am fine with that, I just want a solution. Preferably not a $300 solution for a few feet of chain and a wire.
Come to think of it, on my older County Line 4' I made a rubber guard out of an old big truck mud flap for the front, it cost me about $15 for a few bolts and a piece of steel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts