·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body use rc airplanes?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I'm not sure 'use' is the correct term for what I do to rc airplanes... but here's a short video of a flight with my Parkzone T-28. I've got a Mobius camera on board and this was an initial flight trying out the mounting system. The landing was pretty rough due to cross wind and my skills are just so-so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JfInsqyvE&t=48s

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
I used to fly planes some, but my main interest was helicopters. I gave it all up to build my house 14 years ago and have not gotten back into it, but the new drone stuff is pretty appealing.

Anyone want to buy a used Futaba 9Z radio :lol:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I flew a 60 powered r/c plane some years ago . . . before cameras became popular and readily available. Last plane I built, a friend (?) shot me down when he inadvertently turned on his radio which used the same frequency as mine. He provided a replacement kit but I never got it to perform properly and went on to other interests. :greentractorride:

:boat:

:snipersmilie:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Does FPV drones count as an RC airplane? What about AP drones?

FPV = First Person View. You wear a set of goggles and watch what the aircraft is doing through a camera mounted on it. Makes you feel like you are in it as the actual miniature pilot.

AP = Aerial Photography drones. Flown for their ability to take awesome 4K videos and amazing stills from the air. These machines generally use GPS for positioning and don’t rely heavily from operator input.

I do both. :lol:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I used to really be into it big. I started building planes in the 70's (started with control line as a kid) and would drift in and out of the hobby for the next 30 years. The last club I was in lost their field around 2003 and I haven't pursued it since then. I don't have many digitized pics of any of the planes I built, but I did find this pic on my PC of one I built in the late 90's. A .40 size Kaos. I believe it had an O.S. .45 engine. Plane covered in monocote.

kaos2.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i dont would like to get one though. i have a syma 5sw and a cheap quadcopter. but want to get a plane.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Haven't "flown" in years. Loved building the planes during the winter months but my time is now to short to go out anymore and our private flying field was closed down because a couple guys when out and started flying jets and were strafing the nearby homes so we got shut down. Top bad, those jest looked absolutely like the real thing and even sounded that way..The club I used to belong to was called the Divot Diggers and rightfully so!
I have a Great Planes F4U corsair with all the bells and whistles, piper cub 6' wingspan, two helicopters; one was a gas trainer 4 channel and then I went out and bought a 6 channel electric job which was is much easier to fly, and a heck of a lot easier to start too. I still use the thing every once in a while to chase my outdoor cats around the yard, they think it's a game..! The gas job flew right into the end of the house on my first attempt at hovering! Cost a few bucks rebuilding it but it turned into a godsend learning how to balance a needle on the end of your finger! Got pretty good at flying helicopters. Never crashed a plane. had a good friend that taught me how to fly, he inspected the first plane I built the piper and he took off with it and handed me the controls,, the weirdest part of learning in my opinion, is when it flies back at you, and you guys can attest to the opposite control idea... He also landed it to show me how to deal with those pesky cross winds with such a light plane. he also showed me how far to let the plane go, amazing how fast you can lose sight of your plane!!! I don't have any pics on this computer, sorry. Drones are just to much money for me to probably just get bored pretty quick with it around here. I did go buy one of those small electric helos that just about fly themselves to screw around in the house with but the wife doesn't care for me torturing her and the housecat with it so .......
I still have a great planes thunder bolt biplane kit upstairs in my old cabinet shop that I never built along with everything , motor, Futaba controls, all the servos, etc. , Just never got around to building it. I loved the challenge of building the wings especially the corsair but like I said; time was a major factor and now with three jobs for the last 25 years as a building official, I never have time enough to get done what I need to do..
I did like the video, it actually shows why you need to build these planes rugged, just look at the jostling around while taxiing the runway, lots of stress on Balsa and glue.. and a tail dragger puts a lot on the rear end for sure, especially connected to the rudder with a just a few plastic hinges!... Oh ya one more thing... $$$$$$$$$ Good flying everyone. Jeff

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I used to fly a lot of rc stuff. Then moved on to the real thing.

I wish I had the tone for it still. I really enjoyed the challenge of 2 meter gliders. Both my dad and I loved it.

I still have a bunch or stuff.

Have his Gentle lady and a few of mine.

If and when I get back into I’m going electric or big gas. Those nitro engines are fun but fussy.

Have this for flying around in the office. It’s fun and replacement parts are cheap.

Used to have a 1/4 scale cub. Liked it.

Here are some old control line kits I inherited from my dad. Maybe I’ll get around to building them some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I've been out of RC for many years. My pride was a Top Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair I built in 1978, with a completed cockpit. In the mid 80's, I tried helicopters. I started and ended my chopper flying with the Cricket. It definitely was a decent little chopper. It used a small 045 engine, but that was plenty for that thing. Being it was fixed pitch, it was somewhat easy to fly. I had quite a few enjoyable hours flying it, and breaking it. Mainly rotor blades. That was as far as I went with helicopters. I got away from everything RC related when I got married.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I wish I had the tone for it still. I really enjoyed the challenge of 2 meter gliders. Both my dad and I loved it.

If and when I get back into I’m going electric or big gas. Those nitro engines are fun but fussy.

Have this for flying around in the office. It’s fun and replacement parts are cheap.

Here are some old control line kits I inherited from my dad. Maybe I’ll get around to building them some day.

Nice vintage kits. My first RC plane was a standard Sig Kadet.(not the senior) The kit I had was a rudder and elevator only design. I modded the kit as I built it by giving the wing less dihedral and adding ailerons. The radio was a Heathkit 4 channel I put together circa early 70's. Later on Sig came out with the Kadet MK 2 version with those same mods. I also had several control line Ringmasters as a kid.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Does FPV drones count as an RC airplane? What about AP drones?

FPV = First Person View. You wear a set of goggles and watch what the aircraft is doing through a camera mounted on it. Makes you feel like you are in it as the actual miniature pilot.

AP = Aerial Photography drones. Flown for their ability to take awesome 4K videos and amazing stills from the air. These machines generally use GPS for positioning and don’t rely heavily from operator input.

I do both. :lol:
Here’s a FPV quad I’m building.

An AP drone.

And one of my little FPV drones hooked up to my radio getting a tune.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I started to build a Kadet LT .40 airplane back in the 90s. Finished it after a couple of years of intermittent building from a kit. It's ready to fly yet i walked away from it and it's been sitting in my basement. Went onto college a few years later and got my SEL private pilots license. I wish I started with RC helicopters, despite the difficulty helicopters have always impressed me more, real life and RC.

siga0067.jpg

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My late father in law built & flew RC planes for over 50 years. The walls of his basement were lined with planes he built. He always had a new plane under construction. The only time I remember him crashing a plane was when someone turned on a radio that was on the same frequency as the plane he was flying. He also operated a RC store for many years & did so up until he passed. He tried to teach me to fly them, but being left handed I could never get the hang of it. My late son, who was also left handed, could fly as well as his grandfather. I still have a few of my father in laws planes. I also have a RC size Wankle engine that he had.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So was the 1/4 scale cub harder to fly than just a small trainer? i want to start small if i start.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Not really. Just had to get used to the size difference. It would be farther away then you’d think.

There are lots of good trainers out there.
Hobby zone has some nice electric stuff that is a blast to fly.

I had their old super cub and loved it. Was able to fly it in the field across the street from our old house.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ8100E?KPID=HBZ8100E&CAWELAID=320011980001293921&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37462622311&CATCI=pla-383486247798&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7C6--uW2wIVA9vACh3c7Q4jEAQYAiABEgLzl_D_BwE

Park zone has nice stuff as well. See if you can find a club close buy and have someone help teach you. It will save you money and frustration.

When I learned we had a buddy box system where you could link two remotes together.
The instructor had the master one and when he held a switch over it let the student fly the airplane. If the student got into trouble the instructor could take over buy releasing the switch. Sometimes there isn’t enough time to pass the remote.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I quit the hobby, but still have all my toys about 18 years ago. I started out with 40 size high-wings. Lots of dihedral. Then got into low wings dihedral. Then low wing zero dihedral. Given to me by one of our retired Vietnam Vets, which was his hobby while stationed in Okinawa. It was so fuel soaked when he passed it on to me, it was a wonder it stayed together. I ditched the zero dihedral into the cornfield. It got a decent burial, the builder said. LOL. I felt bad. Then I got into the 60 and 120 series pattern ships. At that time I was getting into the Saito 4-strokes. I eventually changed some of them over to the 2-stroke OS 1.08 & OS 1.40. All eyes on deck flying them, because they come in HOT. My fastest was an Ultrasport 120. It clocked in at almost 140mph, air operated Robart landing gear. Then I got into scratch building my own designs. Then I found myself scratch building air boats and mounting the OS 1.08 and 140 as pushers. Those were screamers. I made them from door skins and 1/4" 7-ply with dual rudders. I eventually got them to break tension and take off up- into the air off the lake on calm days. As long as I worked the rpm, it would continue to climb controllable above the water. Then I graduated into scale scratch-built. I built (well it's partially built) a 120th scale (Art Scholl) Super Chipmunk. Unfortunately that's sitting in boxes and never got off the bench. I also built a scale replica of a Cessna 182, right down to a complete cockpit, gauges, and dash. Then I decided I was going to get into the big boys. I bought a kit, L-4 Cub when completed has over an 11ft winspan. I don't remember the length of the chord. I still have all of them hanging in their racks. I still have several stick kits (not ARF) as well. And several nitro (all my stuff was nitro including the planes) off-shore and racing tunnels. Yep, all the battery packs were pulled, after-run engine oil put into the cylinders, and I closed the door to the hobby. I did very much enjoy it. I felt my money was better spent on things. I flew a few Byrons F-16s too. When those quit, you're basically flying a brick. I was member and president of our club for a term of 15+ years.

I was no competition to some of the retired engineers in our club, when it come to building scratch-built scale replicas. I was left several times with my mouth and eyes open in AWE, at the level of details. Museum quality, that you would think to see in a glass case. But nope, they flew them for what they were intended to do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts