Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attaching the RC1072 to the back of the 3520 started cutting our 24 vacant 1 acre lots in the sub division. The very 1st lot introdudced me to Mr Murphy as I struck a rather large rock and actually cut it in two.

Ah, but Mr Murphy was not done. Went back home and inspected the blades.
OUCH. Tried to put them on the Magna -Matic sharpner but trying to re-habiliate the the blades took lots of valuable time and plenty of grinding wheel as these pieces of metal are huge compaired to Exmark blades.

They must be out of balance as the RC really shakes alot now.

Any body purchased replacement blades for the RC1072? Looks like part number on blades is C?6060

Deere dealer closed 2day & Sunday, Will try monday.

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have dealt with a bad MX-6 vibrating pretty bad. When you took it apart, were there different amounts of washers on one side? Are the blades bent at all?

Might the stump jumper be bent ot the gearbox shaft?

There is so much that can go wrong under the cutter that it would be hard to blame on the blades. Do the blades still easily spin on the bolt once installed?

Do you have pictures?:unknown:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian,

Thanks - all great points. Should have taken pics but in the heat of the battle I did not think about it.

I am set up for much smaller blades, have a Magna-Matic 9000 sharpener & 1000 Blade balancer.

Did not even bother to compare the two baldes to each other for being bent...

No obvious damage to the stump jumper - will recheck.

Only components were nut, bolt, & blade.

Will look at all the areas you suggested... In the mean time only 20 acres to go...

Tony

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vibration appears to be from a bent blade. Stump jumper looks to turn uniformly with no visible out of round or bent condition when rotating.

Tried to order Blade set ME300126 but was advised by GetGreenParts that its obsoleted.

Does anyone know if a replacement blade set is available for the RC1072 rotary cutter?

Or if a new or revised part number for the Blade set is released?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called a different dealer and the ME300126 is a good number apparently.

He had a set in stock and is shipping them UPS - should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stump Jumper Removal

Gents:

RC1072 - Found the four bolts which secure the Gear Box to the deck are all loose which allow the gear box to move around. Attempted to tighten them from above but they spin freely as if no nut is on the other end but they do not pull out of the gear box base. Should the be loose? I suspect not.

I was hoping to access the bottom of the deck to see if here are nuts but the pan is in the way. Removed the cotter pin & castle nut. But unable to get the pan off the splined gear box shaft.

Tried the procedure in the manual but no luck. With a small sledge I cannot swing it through enough distance under the deck to get any effective force on the castle nut.

Thinking of getting the unit on its side so I can wack it with the BIG sledge while working standing up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
When we started to take the stump jumper off my MX-6, we ran into the same thing. We put a ton of penetrating lube and then we were going to use some heat. We never got that far and the dealer replaced the whole unit.

I bet most of your wobble is from the loose gear box.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally made the repair. With the RC1072 attached to the 3pt and fully raised, positioned safety stands around the perimeter of the cutter. Removed the cotter pin & castle nut. Applied heat to the outer perimeter of the splined flange on the stump jumper for about 2-3 minutes using a small torch I use for sweeting copper pipe. Removed heat, sprayed penetrating fluid, installed castle nut flush with bottom of splined shaft, had two of my boys pulling down on the blade ends, instead of a block of wood used a piece of 3/4" rectangular metal stock over the castle nut. Struck it twice with a small sledge and on the second hit the stump jumper popped free. Removed the blades, then the castle nut and lowered the large pan. Got access to the four gear box nuts which were still on the botls - just very loose. Tightened them all. Applied a liberal coat of anti-seize compund to the gear box shaft and pan splines - Re-installed everything.
What a difference - smooth as can be! No more shaking or vibrations from the rotary cutter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts