Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t have a way to store my implements stacked on pallet racks or whatever however that is something I hope to tackle over the winter. If I make that happen, I’d imagine the rough cut mower would be on the floor horizontally and other items above it on shelves of some sort. Lots of great threads of how to do that.

In the meantime, I’m looking for a way to store my RC2048 vertically. I’ve searched the threads and haven’t found one that sets out how others have stored their rough cut vertically.
I’m thinking I can take off the trailing wheel, lift it vertically with a chain off the loader then lean it against a wall, rear end down/PTO end up.

Has anyone done this, or built a dolly or?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I don’t have a way to store my implements stacked on pallet racks or whatever however that is something I hope to tackle over the winter. If I make that happen, I’d imagine the rough cut mower would be on the floor horizontally and other items above it on shelves of some sort. Lots of great threads of how to do that.

In the meantime, I’m looking for a way to store my RC2048 vertically. I’ve searched the threads and haven’t found one that sets out how others have stored their rough cut vertically.
I’m thinking I can take off the trailing wheel, lift it vertically with a chain off the loader then lean it against a wall, rear end down/PTO end up.

Has anyone done this, or built a dolly or?
Gear oil might leak out the vent of the gear box if you get it vertical.

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
Never heard of anyone storing a rotary cutter like this but people store MMM vertically every year. Only suggestion would be to remove the vent and put a regular plug in so the gear oil doesn't leak out, otherwise I don't see a problem with it, just don't forget to reinstall the vent in the spring.:good2:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of anyone storing a rotary cutter like this but people store MMM vertically every year. Only suggestion would be to remove the vent and put a regular plug in so the gear oil doesn't leak out, otherwise I don't see a problem with it, just don't forget to reinstall the vent in the spring.:good2:
Thanks. I’ll give it a try! Thanks for the tip on the vent plug replacement. I’ve seen that some people do that for the MMMs so it makes good sense for the RC as well.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
Saw this today at my local dealer, this is how they ship them:

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
Thanks! I now know how I’ll build my dolly :good2:
Your dealer may just have those sitting around, it's worth asking. Then you can fork it around too.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Your dealer may just have those sitting around, it's worth asking. Then you can fork it around too.
Seeing that gives me a idea to buy some sections of box steel so I can move my heavy blades around. Just weld or bolt 2 on each one on the top way better then chains to move them swinging around. I could put a set on my Brush Hog too!

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
I was just at my dealers today picking up a block heater kit, wish I had seen that post prior, guess that justifies another trip to the dealer. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Thanks! I now know how I’ll build my dolly :good2:
It would be handy to be able to minimize the disassembly of the mower and use the I Match bushings on the mower to mount and secure the mower when vertical on the storage pallet. Whether it's using a low cost hitch unit or just mounting the quick connect ends from a tractor supply store to the dolly, it would make storing the mower vertically easier and eliminate the need to bolt the mower as they do in shipping.

Vertical stabilization should be easy and a bracket could be added to the outside ends or the top link mount or the deck itself. Add some lifting points on the outside of the rear wheel mounting point and lifting the mower deck with a chain or straps would be safer. The mower could largely remain completely assembled except for the removal of the PTO shaft and swapping the gear case vent for a plug.

I would definitely keep the lower dolly able to be lifted with pallet forks for moving and even cleaning and maintaining the mower deck top and bottom. Think how handy it would be to store the mower and power wash it after use. Also, for painting the mower deck bottom side and other maintenance, this is an ideal setup.

Depending upon the way you can secure the deck vertically, it would really reduce the disassembly of the mower between use, possibly allowing the tail wheel to remain on the mower. Then, simply taking the PTO shaft on and off and switching from the gear box vent to a plug and you are ready to go. If the process is simplified enough and the disassembly is kept to a minimum to store the mower, It might even be how one can store the mower between use.

Something to think about........:dunno:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be handy to be able to minimize the disassembly of the mower and use the I Match bushings on the mower to mount and secure the mower when vertical on the storage pallet. Whether it's using a low cost hitch unit or just mounting the quick connect ends from a tractor supply store to the dolly, it would make storing the mower vertically easier and eliminate the need to bolt the mower as they do in shipping.

Vertical stabilization should be easy and a bracket could be added to the outside ends or the top link mount or the deck itself. Add some lifting points on the outside of the rear wheel mounting point and lifting the mower deck with a chain or straps would be safer. The mower could largely remain completely assembled except for the removal of the PTO shaft and swapping the gear case vent for a plug.

I would definitely keep the lower dolly able to be lifted with pallet forks for moving and even cleaning and maintaining the mower deck top and bottom. Think how handy it would be to store the mower and power wash it after use. Also, for painting the mower deck bottom side and other maintenance, this is an ideal setup.

Depending upon the way you can secure the deck vertically, it would really reduce the disassembly of the mower between use, possibly allowing the tail wheel to remain on the mower. Then, simply taking the PTO shaft on and off and switching from the gear box vent to a plug and you are ready to go. If the process is simplified enough and the disassembly is kept to a minimum to store the mower, It might even be how one can store the mower between use.

Something to think about........:dunno:
Great points Sully Bear and others. Using the shipping set up could work very well.

A trip to the dealer in the near future will happen!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Saw this today at my local dealer, this is how they ship them:
I thought the OP's concern was (or was brought up by another member) oil leaking from the gear box when stored this way? I would imagine in shipping, the gearbox is not yet filled with oil or has been drained. :unknown:

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
I thought the OP's concern was (or was brought up by another member) oil leaking from the gear box when stored this way? I would imagine in shipping, the gearbox is not yet filled with oil or has been drained. :unknown:

Jeff
Removing the plug and replacing it with a plug solves that issue, many guys do that with their MMM's when storing vertically as was mentioned in the 3rd post. The first post said "..In the meantime, I’m looking for a way to store my RC2048 vertically..." and made no mention of leaking, that was brought up in post #2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts