Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greasing the RC2060 rotary cutter that I purchased last year. Pretty easy job until trying to access the u-joint grease zerk on the PTO shaft on the gear box end. With all the safety shielding in place there is no way I could get a grease gun end to snap onto the zerk through the access port at a straight enough angle to get the zerk to take grease. Finally removed the bolt that holds the pto shaft to the gear box and pulled the unit out so I could grease it. Am I missing something or is that the procedure? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have same problem, was thinking of drilling a hole in shield to access zerk......biggest challenge is putting it in correct spot:banghead:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
Part 1 of 2

Set the rotary cutter on blocks or whatever, to allow the blades to turn freely when you rotate the PTO shaft by hand. You'll be doing that later. Mine is stored on a pallet and the blades clear when rotated.

FYI, removing the shaft cover from the front half of the shaft is the same as removing the rear half.

Rotate the cover so you can remove the small screw. Notice the white tab is not aligned with the slot in the black bell end. Remove the screw. Also notice the grease zerk that's molded into the plastic cover by the screw.

2019-06-15 09.00.22.jpg

Grab the plastic cover of the shaft with one hand, grab and hold the cover of the bell end with the other, and rotate the shaft cover until the tab lines up with the slot. They are 2 independent pieces that are snapped together. I found it's easier to rotate the shaft cover.

2019-06-15 09.01.03.jpg

Once aligned, pull the cover(s) towards you, and this is what you see. The white locking ring stays on the shaft (I'll show that shortly). You can take the shaft/bell covers off completely if you wish. Notice the glob of grease on the shaft. That came from pumping grease into the molded zerk in the plastic cover. (More on that later)

2019-06-15 09.02.10.jpg

Notice on the large, main cover (sometimes referred to as the 'toilet bowl cover') there is a small hole for putting the grease gun end through (the larger of the 2 holes in the picture). It's possible to get the grease gun through there and get it on the zerk, though tricky, but I have I flexible hose on my gun and just go through the front 'mouth' of the 'toilet bowl'. The 'toilet bowl' should be mounted to the gearbox with the orientation of the small hole at 12 o'clock, and the 2 access doors at 3 & 9 o'clock. Those access doors are for getting wrenches in to adjust the slip clutch if you have a slip clutch. I don't know if the doors are used to access the shear bolt if you have that style, I would imagine so.

2019-06-15 09.03.37.jpg

Rotate the shaft until the zerk is at the top (this is why the blades have to rotate freely). Mine is a 45° zerk, pointing towards the slip clutch. This is why I use a flex hose on the gun.

2019-06-15 09.04.14.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
Part 2 of 2

Once you have the u-joint greased, give a little attention to the white locking ring. It rides on the metal shaft itself, and needs grease to help keep it from wearing out. It's a split-ring, so I popped one edge off and got some grease on the groove it rides on and worked it around. The grease zerk that is molded part of the cover is what is suppose to supply grease to this ring, but as you can see in the picture above, it directs the grease more on the shaft than into a usable area for the ring.

2019-06-15 09.04.47.jpg

This is a picture of after I greased the locking ring and snapped it back onto the shaft.

2019-06-15 09.06.42.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks kylew! That is going to make things much easier next time. Great pictures explaining the process!

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Or just take the toilet bowl cover off :hide:

Though, kylew's way is probably better for most, just not me. :mocking:

Reactions: Yank and kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
Or just take the toilet bowl cover off :hide:

Though, kylew's way is probably better for most, just not me. :mocking:
I've heard that rumor :lol:

Dejavu :laugh:

Reactions: Yank and PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Reactions: Yank and kylew

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swear I never even thought once about cutting the toilet bowl cover off the machine and tossing it into the trash...nope not even once????

·
Registered
5 Posts
@kylew thank you so much first of all for posting the details here. I was literally going mad trying to find that stupid zerk.

Now - can someone help me understand how the hec I'm supposed to get the grease gun coupler on this -- WTH

FYI - it wont twist any more. I tried for like an hour.
IMG_0698.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
Uugh. What about a flex head ratchet wrench and try to back it off some?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
459 Posts
Part 2 of 2

Once you have the u-joint greased, give a little attention to the white locking ring. It rides on the metal shaft itself, and needs grease to help keep it from wearing out. It's a split-ring, so I popped one edge off and got some grease on the groove it rides on and worked it around. The grease zerk that is molded part of the cover is what is suppose to supply grease to this ring, but as you can see in the picture above, it directs the grease more on the shaft than into a usable area for the ring.

View attachment 691260

This is a picture of after I greased the locking ring and snapped it back onto the shaft.

View attachment 691268
Nice. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts