Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few acres of grass. It’s been took care of, no saplings or briars, just very tall grass. Going to cut it probably once a month or so with the 2038R. Do I have the power for a 6 foot cutter? Should I just stay with a 5 footer?

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Flat or hilly?

You should be fine with power. If it is too thick you can cut 5' with a 6' mower, if you're good at math. :laugh:

Weight is the question.

A 6 footer is heavier (a little bit) but also wider and longer.

Do you need to do any side hilling?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat or hilly?

You should be fine with power. If it is too thick you can cut 5' with a 6' mower, if you're good at math. :laugh:

Weight is the question.

A 6 footer is heavier (a little bit) but also wider and longer.

Do you need to do any side hilling?
No hills this time. The back part of the property slopes some, but not much.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Another thing to consider. If it's wider than the width of your tractor, the tractor may fit an opening, but it (mower) might not.
My 2030 width is wider than my 6' cutter, so I know if the tractor can fit through/between two trees, the cutter will too. :good2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another thing to consider. If it's wider than the width of your tractor, the tractor may fit an opening, but it (mower) might not.
My 2030 width is wider than my 6' cutter, so I know if the tractor can fit through/between two trees, the cutter will too. :good2:
I had thought of that too. I’m good to go. Every field I have has a 12 foot gate to get in and out. Would the smaller cutter give a better cut, kinda like mower decks? The grass is 4 foot high right now, but once I get it cut, I’m not going to let it get more than 12 inches or so. The big field sits in front of my house. Thought about a 72 inch finish mower, but I was afraid that would lock me in to mowing it every week.

·
Premium Member
12,923 Posts
I had thought of that too. I’m good to go. Every field I have has a 12 foot gate to get in and out. Would the smaller cutter give a better cut, kinda like mower decks? The grass is 4 foot high right now, but once I get it cut, I’m not going to let it get more than 12 inches or so. The big field sits in front of my house. Thought about a 72 inch finish mower, but I was afraid that would lock me in to mowing it every week.
How many acres total are you talking about Yank?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I doubt you will see a difference in cut between a 5' and 6' rough cut mower.

I would look at blade speed of the mowers you are considering. Usually there is a point where manufactures slow down the tip speed when cut width increases.

It's the guys that get 7' mowers that start to complain about cut quality. This is for rough cut mowers, not finish mowers. I have heard 8' dual spindle rough cut mowers give a better cut than a 7' single spindle mower due to blade overlap. Also there is a point when a fixed deck verses a flex (think batwing) deck mower does not cut as well unless you are mowing smooth, flat ground. I would rather have a one wing 10' batwing mower than fixed deck 10' dual spindle mower.

A friend had a 10' dual spindle fixed deck with hydraulic offset that he sold. Had it been 8' I would have bought it. He had 10 flat acres he use to mow. My land is not smooth/flat enough for it.

·
Premium Member
12,923 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many acres total are you talking about Yank?
About 3 acres of fields. Mostly flat, one has a knoll, but very slight. All grass, no saplings or briars.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
I'm thinking you'll be ok with a 6 footer.

·
Premium Member
12,923 Posts
I'm thinking you'll be ok with a 6 footer.
About 3 acres of fields. Mostly flat, one has a knoll, but very slight. All grass, no saplings or briars.
I agree with rtgt, although a 6' is a slight bit of overkill on 3 acres. :lol:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
But how many people are running around with 72" decks on their mowers with 3 acres or less... so is it really?

·
Premium Member
12,923 Posts
But how many people are running around with 72" decks on their mowers with 3 acres or less... so is it really?
Well, you got me. Actually, how many people own a large frame 2R that could easily take care of everything with a 1 series, JD was really pushing them in 2017 when they came out with the new models.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Well, you got me. Actually, how many people own a large frame 2R that could easily take care of everything with a 1 series, JD was really pushing them in 2017 when they came out with the new models.

You are correct. My 68 112 did a lot of the mowing my 400 did and now the 2038r.

Yank, Hopefully I will tell you after this weekend. I was down at dads today and told him to hold off rotary mowing the woods. It is pasture grass and tall. I just want to see how it handles the 6’.

However at home I have 3 acres I mow a walking path around at normal length and the use the lawn mower deck set at 5 or 6” once a month. The rotary mower doesn’t spread it out as even at the deck. If you have the chute up it will throw it 10’ and it does not clump up like a rotary killing spots.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pat, you know how we like overkill! Herm, will be interested to hear the results.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Pat, you know how we like overkill! Herm, will be interested to hear the results.
No such thing.

I use the 5' cutter I had for my previous tractor which is only an inch or so wider than my rear tires. However, I mow in the woods and like someone posted, if the tractor fits, so does the cutter.

A cutter wider than the tractor will allow you to get closer to a fence row and not knock down a post with the FEL....

Keep the blades sharp. Dull blades will rob the power.

·
Premium Member
12,923 Posts
You are correct. My 68 112 did a lot of the mowing my 400 did and now the 2038r.

Yank, Hopefully I will tell you after this weekend. I was down at dads today and told him to hold off rotary mowing the woods. It is pasture grass and tall. I just want to see how it handles the 6’.

However at home I have 3 acres I mow a walking path around at normal length and the use the lawn mower deck set at 5 or 6” once a month. The rotary mower doesn’t spread it out as even at the deck. If you have the chute up it will throw it 10’ and it does not clump up like a rotary killing spots.
You're not going to have any trouble at all :thumbup1gif:
No such thing.

I use the 5' cutter I had for my previous tractor which is only an inch or so wider than my rear tires. However, I mow in the woods and like someone posted, if the tractor fits, so does the cutter.

A cutter wider than the tractor will allow you to get closer to a fence row and not knock down a post with the FEL....

Keep the blades sharp. Dull blades will rob the power.
As I found out going from a 4' to a 5', it also allows you to get too close to the fence. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
You're not going to have any trouble at all :thumbup1gif:

As I found out going from a 4' to a 5', it also allows you to get too close to the fence. :lol:
:lolol:

Well there is that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts