Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion of these two mowers?

Bush Hog RDTH84 versus the John Deere (Frontier) GM1084R

What one would be better? According to the JD dealer (also a BH dealer) -- prices are about the same, but the Bush Hog is a better mower.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, for the purpose of running this behind my John Deere 3520, here is a comparison of the specs with listed "winner" that I put together.

Data is based off of that available at http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/RDTH84Spec.pdf, and http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/non_current/wpmowlit08017pr_rear_side_discharge_gm_fm_lit.pdf.

Bush Hog RDTH84John Deere GM1084RScore Weight
TypeRear DischargeRear Discharge--
Cut Width84"84"--
Cut Height Max5.5"4.5"10%
Cut Height Low1.5"1"5%
Required HP30-55 HP25-40 HP25%
Hitch TypeCat 1Cat 1--
Gearbox HP55 HP40 HP15%
Weight874 lbs750 lbs10%
Drive TypeGearbox over v-beltGearbox over v-belt--
Spindles3 (cast-iron)3 (cast-iron)--
Blade Speed18,26616,73015%
Blade Overlap1.5"2"10%
Deck Thickness7-gauge8-gauge5%
BeltsB section, KevlarB section, Kevlar--
Casters4 (3x13 front, 4x10 rear)4 Solid (10x3.25 all)5%
Final Score55%45%--

Based on those specs, and that criteria.. the winner is the..
Bush Hog RDTH84

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I like the blade speed of the Bush hog, but I like the strength and blade over lap of the JD. But the BH weighs more... so?

Are you using it to mow lawn or maybe a little more? You can turn sharper with the JD due to the blade over lap.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the blade speed of the Bush hog, but I like the strength and blade over lap of the JD. But the BH weighs more... so?

Are you using it to mow lawn or maybe a little more? You can turn sharper with the JD due to the blade over lap.
Brian,

I do to. I went back and added a score for each of the specs, and the Bush Hog came out 10% ahead of the JD.

I think I'll go with the Bush Hog version.

I'll be using this to mow water ways, and field edges -- so the extra height will work out well. Plus, this will be used as the ballast for FEL work- smaller than a rotary cutter, and has a fairly okay weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts