Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the manual. It says the hood on the 1025R will not handle high speeds when it is get towed on a trailer. JD recommends backing the tractor on the trailer to eliminate this. Has anyone had the hood pop up or off while towing?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
A member here had it happen, but if I recall his tractor was a 2038 maybe? Either way, same principle. His ended up with damage to the firewall and the hinge pivot areas. Don't recall the complete details, but he was able to do a make-shift repair and got it working. Luckily it didn't damage the hood.

I've towed mine facing forward, but I put a tie-down strap across the hood to keep it from happening, and keep an eye on it in the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Put it on the trailer backwards.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I agree, but it's not always possible. In my case, I was hauling it with the brush hog. Not enough lift from the 3 pt to make it able to back onto the trailer.

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts
I know it should be backed on and if not just throw a strap over the hood to hold it down.
I backed the 1026 off the dealers trailer , and the owner of the business is the person who delivered it to our place, no strap on the hood.
I always pull on the trailer, and never strap the hood. Probably should get in the habit, would only take a few minutes. Never have towed my behind a pickup always has been a minivan. Don't know if that makes a difference, and most of the times hasn't been on the interstate. Not saying I haven't pulled it while driving on the interstate. Guess I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you look down below, there should be a list headed "Recommended Reading." These are recent threads where the same question has been asked and pretty much the same people have responded. This was last discussed about three weeks ago, and called "Who's hood has flew off while towing?" But thanks for giving us a chance to repeat ourselves.:)

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Put a strap over the hood wrapped in a chamois or a polishing cloth, where it touches the hood surface, so it doesn't scratch or damage the hood. Also, when you put a single twist in the tie down straps, it prevents them from vibrating in the winds and sounding like a giant tuning fork.

Sometimes, its just not practical or possible to back the tractor on the trailer. The main point of the warning is since the tractor isn't designed to travel at road speeds on its own, when its being hauled, be aware the hood could open from the wind.

A friend owns a small engine repair shop and he has a full time crew out picking up and dropping off equipment. They have straps wrapped in a protective covering they put on all machines as some of the hoods are very expensive to replace should they come off or get damaged. Same with seats and covers. Most equipment with a top speed on its own of 15 mph reacts differently in the winds at highway speeds.

When the machine has a tilt front end for access, no need to worry about loading it nose first on the trailer. Then, backing the machine on the trailer can actually increase the risk of damage. When the hood lifts from the front, one gust of wind can easily cause damage. Plus the last thing you want is to be trying to get piece of debris from your equipment out of the traffic lanes without causing a wreck or getting run over.

Reactions: WestTexasFarmBoy

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Tape the hood down with a couple of pieces of duct tape.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good ole duct tape. What would we do without it. I was looking to see if I could put a strap with hook on the hood and then pull it down to the frame and latch it. I would have to drill a hole by the battery to get that done. The ramps for my trailer are mounted on the front of the trailer, they double as a stone guard. Not sure if it will divert enough wind. I trailered it home at 55 MPH, not knowing about the hood and didn't have any issues. I will probably use the strap over the hood until I get a cover made for it. I'm going to have one made that is strong enough to trailer with it on. Local canvas shop said they could make it for about $400-$500. I can also use it if I have to keep the tractor outside. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts