Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not gonna be able to complete this project for a little while, but after a request, I figured I may as well post up!

Background...last spring I got the itch to build a rear blade. Buying one was out of the question because IMO anything built strong enough to warrant buying was priced out of reality...So I set out to scrounge up the necessary steel & parts. Realistically I'm close enough that 2 good days of fab time and I'd be done it....but now with the idea of a land plane, I may just finish this project up, paint & sell...I dunno yet.

Anywho...here are the pics, feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dave, you are such an amazing fabricator. I would love to learn more from you on how you put all of this together. I need a good tutor!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Dave, you are such an amazing fabricator. I would love to learn more from you on how you put all of this together. I need a good tutor!
OK FG, what's your angle?:unknown:

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Very cool Dave...Where are the workshop pictures? You must have some cool tools to create stuff like that:tongue:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotta grab some...actually I dont have that many cool tools...in the workshop the "big" tools are:
-Jet Drill Press
-HF Mini Lathe
-Craftsman Pro 14" Bandsaw
-Grizzly Disc/Belt sander
-Milwaukee PortaBand w/Swag Offroad Stand
Up in the garage you can see the case with my Maxstar 150

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Wait a minute Dave, something is not adding up here. You mean to tell me you are fabricating this stuff with what you have listed here? Just a band saw and no plazma? And how are you bending this stuff with no brake? You aren't giving us the whole story here. But if what I see is all there is then you truely are a fabrication god.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait a minute Dave, something is not adding up here. You mean to tell me you are fabricating this stuff with what you have listed here? Just a band saw and no plazma? And how are you mending this stuff with no brake? You aren't giving us the whole story here. But if what I see is all there is then you truely are a fabrication god.
ROFL...Your right!
I found a local shop that "hooks me up"...deal is I bring over retard-proof templates and a fist full of cash and they do it up for me cheap using scraps they got kicking around. So for those 2 main beam sections I did up a cardboard template 100% to scale...even bent...dropped it of and said I need 2 of these in 3/16 Steel, one bent this way, the other a mirror image. 3 hours later I show up and there are my parts.

I pay less to have things done then just the steel would cost me....

I do have the parts in the basement to build a 17" Press brake...:tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Ahhhh Haaaa, I knew it. But that is great. We all have to work within our means. In the mean time you can still make stuff without ALL of the equipment. And do a really good job of it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhhh Haaaa, I knew it. But that is great. We all have to work within our means. In the mean time you can still make stuff without ALL of the equipment. And do a really good job of it.
Thats part of the problem if you want to call it that....I dont know if its even worth buying some of these tools...
For example, In the pics you see here for this blade...I dont know if I have even 100.00 into it yet for everything you see in the pics... The way I figure it, is I'm buying the steel at discount and getting free Plasma/Brake/Etc... So is it even really worth buying a Plasma? Heck using that logic I have a hard time penciling out even doing ANYTHING other then assembly myself...

Of course, the economy could turn around and they get so busy that I wont be able to get anything done...but I doubt that....if anything the only thing that would change is turnaround time.

Oh, of course, I only found these guys AFTER doing my power rake...actually I used them to plasma out the caster fork arms...thats the only piece not done by me on the PR....Wish I woulda found them before, I woulda done a few things differently.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Now that is way cool Dave!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah...We were blessed with a baby in July, so since then its been busy as you can imagine...these days I could get it done but its COLD outside and I have no dedicated shop other then my basement.
Even this spring, Ive got more pressing projects...Get the garden going, rebuild/restore the Little Genius Plow, Modify my tiller to be iMatch compatible, and HOPEFULLY Build a 30x44 Garage/Shop...Gonna be a while before I get back to the blade. Even then, I kinda regret starting it as I dunno if I'll use it. At this point I might finish it just to sell it on CL. What I really want/need I think is a Land Plane
One update since I last posted about it..I found an 84" Woods Rear Blade Moldboard with Like new Cutting edge on CL...so that piece is "taken care of" so to speak.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
A) Reference the equipment you do have:
:ttiwwp:

B) Yeah, a good metal shop allows you to both get things done and put off purchasing the heavy metal working stuff. It's good to get stuff done, bad to have an excuse to _not_ buy the right toys.

3) I'm still looking for a good hydraulic shop in this area.

IV) If these various shops were reasonably priced, they would do OK. But a lot of them want a car payment out of each transaction, so they are often idle and on the edge. The local masonry supply house charges "walk in off the street" people twice what they charge contractors. Their rebar is more expensive than at Lowes! So when the next building goes in, I'll pay the flatwork crew for rebar and they will be happy to sell me the rebar at "only" a 50% markup.

5th) Good job on what you have done!

Pete

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A) What pics you want? Pretty sure i've posted most if not all of what I got? If not, I can start a "Post your equipment Pics" Thread :lol:

B) Its not the tools I'm lacking...Its shelter to work in the place. Plus part of the reason things get done so slowly (other then the fact this is only a hobby) is that every time I do something I need to pull her car out, get the required tools out, do my thing and then plan 30-45 mins for cleanup to be able to get her car back in. One weekend I was home alone and I got more done on my PR those 2 days then I did for the 2 months prior.

3 & IV) I'm relatively new to the area...by that I mean I didnt grow up here. But as I'm needing things done and as I'm making connections here & there, I'm finding shops that ARE willing and LOVE the work. As I mentioned earlier in this post I'm having my steel plasma'ed out and bent on a brake for less then the steel would cost me itself...Why bother buying tools and entire 4x8 sheets of steel when thats the case? I used to go to NAPA for my hydraulic hoses...what a Rip Off...found a Parker Store burried in the back corner of an industrial park here that is much cheaper (Cheap and Hydraulic rarely go in the same sentence)...and is excellent to deal with.

5th) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Come to think of it, you have posted pix of stuff. Maybee a link to that stuff? I don't know... I know when I saw the thread with the pix of Randy's and Kenny's shop, I had to put a lobster bib 'cause of all the drooling I was doing :laugh:

It also sounds like that 30 x 44 shop is working up to the top of your priority list... Your situation on the home front reminds me of those commercials with the tag line "Life comes at you fast..."

Pete

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come to think of it, you have posted pix of stuff. Maybee a link to that stuff? I don't know... I know when I saw the thread with the pix of Randy's and Kenny's shop, I had to put a lobster bib 'cause of all the drooling I was doing :laugh:
I'll post something up. I wouldnt mind seeing what everyone else has for toys as well.

It also sounds like that 30 x 44 shop is working up to the top of your priority list... Your situation on the home front reminds me of those commercials with the tag line "Life comes at you fast..."
Quote of the century right there....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts