Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
need help with deciding on a rear blade, jd 5065e, will be used on gravel driveway. 6' or 7' any thoughts?

What is you budget? :dunno:

and, how long is the driveway?

A 65HP rated blade gets pricey REAL fast,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
6 Posts
need help with deciding on a rear blade, jd 5065e, will be used on gravel driveway. 6' or 7' any thoughts?
I use a 7’ Land Plane, mine is made by Tufline, tractor in picture is 5065E I am using it now with a 3046R.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Nothing less than an 8ft blade for a 5 series. I use an 8ft blade on my 4066R and would not consider anything smaller. If you angle an 8ft blade, it might not be wide enough for a 5 series. My 4066R is 6ft wide and with the 8ft blade angled, it just barely covers my tracks. I think the 5 series have cat2 3pt hitches and the price goes up considerably for cat2 implements over a cat1 implement. You can use a cat1 if you pick up some sleeves, but they are not as heavy duty. However, although you might have a little more weight, your HP is very similar to my 4066R, so it might work out OK.

Dave

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
639 Posts
8 foot all the way. About 800Lbs minimum for weight, heavier will be better. The more hydraulics, the easier it will be to use. Highly recommend skid shoes, they just make grading easier. I typically recommend this or similar for your size machine.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Really nice blade

8 foot all the way. About 800Lbs minimum for weight, heavier will be better. The more hydraulics, the easier it will be to use. Highly recommend skid shoes, they just make grading easier. I typically recommend this or similar for your size machine.
That's a really nice blade with hydraulics all around. I'm sure they make it with manual adjustments but it would be a lot more fun with the hydraulic adjustments.

I agree that the 8' is probably necessary to cover tire tracks when angled. I've never used skid shoes on a blade but can also see where it would make life easier and probably let you up the ground speed if the blade was heavy enough to not chatter.

One of these days. . .

Treefarmer

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
639 Posts
That's a really nice blade with hydraulics all around. I'm sure they make it with manual adjustments but it would be a lot more fun with the hydraulic adjustments.

I agree that the 8' is probably necessary to cover tire tracks when angled. I've never used skid shoes on a blade but can also see where it would make life easier and probably let you up the ground speed if the blade was heavy enough to not chatter.

One of these days. . .

Treefarmer
My first rear blade was an 8' manual adjust tilt, angle, offset. Weighed 680lbs. And while it worked ok, it was really a blade intended to be used behind a 40-50hp machine IMO.

Now my hydraulic blade, 9' wide and about 1250lbs. Oh what a difference. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts