Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help an animal sanctuary, where I volunteer, to put chains on their JD 2520. I had to put spacers on my 3320 to get it chained up. The 2520 has 36 x 14.00-15 NHS tires. With this setup will they need spacers? I think it looks like there is plenty of room but I do not want to give them bad advice.
Bob W

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bob,

What tires are on the tractor, R3 or R4? Are you pushing a plow/bucket or using a blower? What surface are you on, pavement, gravel, packed snow?

Dave

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
I put low profile chains on mine with no issues.

However........

It depends in which 3-point arms are on it. The first couple years of production they had straight arms which would rub on the tires even without chains. Then they changed over to arms that had proper bends in them to avoid this. You can tell eaisly by looking if the arms are straight or have a couple bends in them.

Also - even with the bent arms you would likely need to adjust the arms in as much as possible so they don’t sway and get caught in the chains.

I don’t know what NHS tires mean - I have R4 tires. If you have turf tires everything I said would not be applicable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Coaltrain,

I believe that NHS is Non Highway Service

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Regardless of which tires and 3PH draft arms you have it's a close call. I just purchased a set of 2" spacers for my 2032R / R3 turf tires for some additional stability and chain clearance. The Gen1 2032R is virtually identical to the 2520 and 2720.

Without the spacers I was at just about 1/4" clearance between the 3/8" side chains and the draft arms.

If you do decide to order some spacers see this link and save some $$$. https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-maintenance/194366-motorsport-tech-wheel-spacer-sale.html#post3391380

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
John Deere 2520 Tires:

Lawn/turf front: 24x8.5-14
Lawn/turf rear: 36x14.00-15
Industrial front: 23x8.5-12
Industrial rear: 14-17.5

Looking at this it looks like the OP has turf tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires

Sorry folks,
They are turf tires and we just push snow in fields and gravel roads.
Bob W

·
Registered
747 Posts
On my 2720 I flipped the tires so that they sit in their most outward position and have no problems running chains, no spacers. Are the rims on your 2520 reversible? If so make sure they are mounted on the widest position.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my 2720 I flipped the tires so that they sit in their most outward position and have no problems running chains, no spacers. Are the rims on your 2520 reversible? If so make sure they are mounted on the widest position.
The tractor has Turf Tires and the rims are not reversible.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a 2011 2520 and the Rims can be reversed to wider position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts