Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enlighten me here. Why would you ever buy a a snow blower that you had to use backing up? This defies logic to me and it would just give me a kink in the neck. I think that I can remove snow just fine with a blade, or a bucket and not go in reverse.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Enlighten me here. Why would you ever buy a a snow blower that you had to use backing up? This defies logic to me and it would just give me a kink in the neck. I think that I can remove snow just fine with a blade, or a bucket and not go in reverse.
Because it gives you the option of plowing with the bucket, plow, snow pusher, etc.
Then if the S really hits the fan, you have the option of the blower.
I have a 3 point Frontier. Makes for great traction most of the storms. And I’m fine with that.

25ABA7F9-F8E0-4738-99FE-757EC12FA3C9.jpg

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I plow is fine if you have some place to push the snow to. I don't like have piles or banks in my yard as they tend to create drifts. The driveway at my cabin is lined with trees so the snow cant be pushed off very far with a plow. A snow blower can throw the snow into the woods , plus it dosnt make piles that stick around to mid June. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
[Note: apologies, I thought you were questioning a rear blower compared to a front-mount blower]

I can think of a "few" reasons:

1. It enables you to continue to use the loader during winter for other duties (bucket, forks, plow, etc.)
2. A 3PH snow blower is around 1/2 the price of a comparable front blower
3. 3PH snow blowers are typically built much heavier
4. 3PH snow blowers will typically handle deeper snow and throw the snow farther due to their large impellers
5. 3PH snow blowers are available in a wider range of sizes
6. 3PH snow blowers are available from a wide variety of manufacturers
7. 3PH snow blowers are tractor make/model independent (front mounts typically only fit a few models / years)
8. 3PH snow blowers are typically easier to resell because they are tractor independent
9. Third party 3PH snow blowers typically have better parts availability and a longer parts availability life
10. 3PH snow blowers are typically faster to attach/detach (at least those that are quick hitch compatible)

The only real disadvantage of a 3PH snow blower is that you have to drive in reverse to use it.

When comparing to a plow... when using a plow you must plow with the storm. That could mean going out every couple hours and removing snow whereas with a snow blower you can typically wait till the storm is over and remove the snow all at once.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rear blower is the only option I'd consider. It makes short work of big snow and I love having my loader on to pile it. Also need my loader to push back the banks around my mail box. My snow ain't kids stuff. We're talking 4ft banks of hard ass packed icey snow out by the road. No blower could handle it without busting shear pins. If I don't clear the banks so they can pull over and reach my box they won't deliver. Beyond that. It's awesome to be able to swap to forks and the blower is fantastic ballast. When spring comes. The blower is off in seconds. When winter comes. It's on in seconds. I get it that some folks who might have mobility issues wouldn't like it. But lookin' behind doesn't bother me one bit.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Imagine waking up to 30+ inches of snow like we did two years ago. Where are you going to go with a bucket? A plow? With a snow blower (rear or front) you engage the PTO and just start driving out of the garage.

The absolute best scenario to have if you can is to have both tools available. A plow when it's appropriate and a blower for when it is appropriate.

·
Premium Member
13,797 Posts
[Note: apologies, I thought you were questioning a rear blower compared to a front-mount blower]

I can think of a "few" reasons:

1. It enables you to continue to use the loader during winter for other duties (bucket, forks, plow, etc.)
2. A 3PH snow blower is around 1/2 the price of a comparable front blower
3. 3PH snow blowers are typically built much heavier
4. 3PH snow blowers will typically handle deeper snow and throw the snow farther due to their large impellers
5. 3PH snow blowers are available in a wider range of sizes
6. 3PH snow blowers are available from a wide variety of manufacturers
7. 3PH snow blowers are tractor make/model independent (front mounts typically only fit a few models / years)
8. 3PH snow blowers are typically easier to resell because they are tractor independent
9. Third party 3PH snow blowers typically have better parts availability and a longer parts availability life
10. 3PH snow blowers are typically faster to attach/detach (at least those that are quick hitch compatible)

The only real disadvantage of a 3PH snow blower is that you have to drive in reverse to use it.

When comparing to a plow... when using a plow you must plow with the storm. That could mean going out every couple hours and removing snow whereas with a snow blower you can typically wait till the storm is over and remove the snow all at once.
All great points Jay :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Everyone likes what they like, but if you plan to get a rear mount PTO snowblower, first take your tractor out to your driveway and back down your driveway several times to see if you can deal with looking backwards for that amount of time, and by the way, when you do this backing test, be sure to have the FEL mounted so you have to deal with the FEL hanging out the front. Just saying??

·
Registered
968 Posts
Everyone likes what they like, but if you plan to get a rear mount PTO snowblower, first take your tractor out to your driveway and back down your driveway several times to see if you can deal with looking backwards for that amount of time, and by the way, when you do this backing test, be sure to have the FEL mounted so you have to deal with the FEL hanging out the front. Just saying??

Great fantastic point. Staying in a straight line going backwards along a fence, trees, or hedge row becomes an issue not hitting stuff. A safety thing with the bucket hanging out there too. Swing around and not hit stuff as your turned around looking backwards snow blowing. Swinging the bucket into the pickup truck as your turned backwards blowing snow would not be pretty picture. A kink in the neck and discomfort is just not worth the cost savings. Driving forward is quite natural. Twisting around with a body that is closer to death than it is from birth is not in the oversized waist line interest of many that own these mighty tractors. Even a young youthful person would prefer driving forward just from the stand point of ease of use and comfort. Having attachments (front bucket & rear blower) on the tractor at both ends makes for one long piece of equipment to manipulate.

But there are attachments to suit the needs or wants of each persons preferences and or budget. A well informed buyer generally makes a better choice for his needs.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Both are nice front or rear,but this why JD made attachments quick hitch.Bucket comes off easy blower to plow easy exchange,and the rear quick hitch easy on and off.
Every snow situation is different whether its type of snow and where you have to put it.:good2:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I plow is fine if you have some place to push the snow to. I don't like have piles or banks in my yard as they tend to create drifts. The driveway at my cabin is lined with trees so the snow cant be pushed off very far with a plow. A snow blower can throw the snow into the woods , plus it dosnt make piles that stick around to mid June. :laugh:
Same here! I picked up a 60" buhler/allied on craigslist like new for 1200.00!
A 59" front mount is 4000.00 to 5000.00.
Made my decision easy.
No banks, no piles, 1/4 mile drive lined with tree's, 3 passes done, 1 hr tops.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2 CENTS, No change needed!

I really like the 3 point blower, Have used it for 7-8 years and when I had to deal with drifts I could knock them down with bucket and turn around and get them outta the way with blower, I also could raise the blower up and cut the high part of drift and then pull ahead and cut to the level ground, AND IF, JUST IF, I had an issue with getting stuck I had the bucket to push tractor out or through depending on which side I was on!!!!!! ?:snow:

Get stuck with the blower on the front and guess what, YOU ARE STUCK! NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!

Hey but that's just me and I don't find the turning around and getting er done,

Give me your rebuttal's! :bigthumb:

waltmart

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
i really like the 3 point blower, have used it for 7-8 years and when i had to deal with drifts i could knock them down with bucket and turn around and get them outta the way with blower, i also could raise the blower up and cut the high part of drift and then pull ahead and cut to the level ground, and if, just if, i had an issue with getting stuck i had the bucket to push tractor out or through depending on which side i was on!!!!!! ?:snow:

Get stuck with the blower on the front and guess what, you are stuck! No doubt about that!

Hey but that's just me and i don't find the turning around and getting er done,

give me your rebuttal's! :bigthumb:

Waltmart
agreed!!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Only ever seen this on videos of some larger New Holland tractors. The seat and steering wheel can be turned to face the rear. This way the rear 3 point blower is now in front of the operator. Kind of like operating a backhoe attachment.

·
Registered
700 Posts

I stack snow with the pusher, than blow it onto the customer's lawn. Helps disperse the salt/sand that inevitably comes in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Only ever seen this on videos of some larger New Holland tractors. The seat and steering wheel can be turned to face the rear. This way the rear 3 point blower is now in front of the operator. Kind of like operating a backhoe attachment.
That would be the ONLY. way I would have a 3ph blower.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Normand 82 INV is on the back. I don't look over my shoulder. Unlike my front mounted unit in MA I never get snow dust in my view because it's all behind me. Tractor and blower are at a second home so my plow guy does the drive and around the garage. I don't like where he puts the snow but having over 30 years of plowing experience I get it. I just pull his bankings apart with the bucket and blow the snow into the woods.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I'm sure everyone's motivation is different, and here' mine. When I purchased the 1025, I had the loader on the front and blower on the back.

I have since concreted my drive 300' x 12' and the space in front of the attached 3 car garage 44' x 63'. With the additional concrete and the typical smaller snow amounts we have been receiving the past few years, a 60" broom is the preferred snow removal option. When the snow is light and fluffy, I can run as fast as the tractor will go. This winter has been the first since I purchased it in 3 years that we had enough snow to warrant its use. I still have some small gravel areas so I leave the skid shoes down, finish clean up with the broom. Sure it's two passes, but when I'm done, it's nothing but clean concrete. :good2:

When the blower is not installed, I drag my neighbors 6' blade while I broom, popping up the driven on snow loose so the broom can do it's job.

Here's the rig:
IMG_20180206_163312.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
I have since concreted my drive 300' x 12' and the space in front of the attached 3 car garage 44' x 63'. With the additional concrete and the typical smaller snow amounts we have been receiving the past few years, a 60" broom is the preferred snow removal option. When the snow is light and fluffy, I can run as fast as the tractor will go. /QUOTE]

When travelling fast with the broom doesn't the snow come back over the top of the broom and get all over you?

·
Registered
968 Posts

Well if you were buying new, and if the COST was the same for front and rear blowers to answer your question you wouldn’t. Now if you all ready had a rear unit from previous purchase or older tractor one might sooner use it rather than purchase a front unit. Being the big cost difference one would prefer the front blower but the $$$$$$$$ COST premium for it detracts one interest in favor of the less priced rear blower. IMHO THE ONLY REASON FOR PREMIUM COST OF THE FRONT BLOWER IS BECAUSE JD CAN GET IT. Again IMHO the cost to produce either design is about the same.

It sounds like the cost is a big player in blower design selection. I thought as you pointed out “Why would you ever buy a a snow blower that you had to use backing up? “. So I bit the bullet and got the 54” front blower and never looked back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts