Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a source for a rear skid plate for the 1023/25 etc? Found out the hard way ($$$$) that this is a necessary item. Tried Brotek, they said not at this time. If I have to I will cobble something up. This is something all should consider if they are available. That rear case is pretty fragile, I had a 3 point arm come off (lost the clip?) and poke a hole in the case while plowing backward with a box blade. Shattered like an egg.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You’re not the first person to have that wimpy aluminum housing damaged by a 3 pt arm coming off the pin, did that to someone else here.

Also, I’m pretty sure there is a skid plate out there for these tractors. I don’t have one on mine because it has an easy life blowing snow and cutting grass.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Also...I’m not sure that plowing backwards with a box blade or pushing anything backwards with your 3 pt is a very good idea, they’re seem like they’re designed to drag, not push, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thankfully, I haven't had any issues. Sadly, you're not the only one. A few have posted where something has hit the transaxle filter and sheered it off. As the filter nipple is part of the case....well you know.

I've spoke with BroTek, as well, and indicated I was ready to order two as soon as they were available. From our conversation, he indicated the local dealer is not willing to loan him a tractor to develop a prototype. I guess I can understand the dealer's reluctance as whenever you move or perform mechanical work, there is always the chance of marring or damage.

If I were close, I provide him one of mine. With the volume of these machines that are out there, I would think this would sure be a heck of an opportunity.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Also...I’m not sure that plowing backwards with a box blade or pushing anything backwards with your 3 pt is a very good idea, they’re seem like they’re designed to drag, not push, at least in my experience.
The better box blades have a double rolled cutting edge so they can be utilized in both directions. I believe at least some of the Everything Attachments box blades have this feature.

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
With few exceptions, all 3PH snow blowers must be pushed backwards. Rear blades also swing 180-degrees to allow them to be pushed.

Some tractors are built for heavy use in the 3PH area. The JD 1-series and 2-series are pathetically fragile in that area. I keep expecting my 2720 to break something every time I use it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
With few exceptions, all 3PH snow blowers must be pushed backwards. Rear blades also swing 180-degrees to allow them to be pushed.

Some tractors are built for heavy use in the 3PH area. The JD 1-series and 2-series are pathetically fragile in that area. I keep expecting my 2720 to break something every time I use it.
yeah for sure a blower, brush, etc you have to "push" them backwards, but with just enough force to move them through the snow, across the ground, etc with minimal actual pushing effort. Any time I've had a brushhog or anything else hang up while I was backing up, it seems to put nasty loads on the 3pt arms. I personally wouldn't use a 3 pt to push anything backwards with significant effort, I think it's asking for trouble.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Frequently pushed backwards

yeah for sure a blower, brush, etc you have to "push" them backwards, but with just enough force to move them through the snow, across the ground, etc with minimal actual pushing effort. Any time I've had a brushhog or anything else hang up while I was backing up, it seems to put nasty loads on the 3pt arms. I personally wouldn't use a 3 pt to push anything backwards with significant effort, I think it's asking for trouble.
Maybe it's just luck but I've frequently pushed backwards with the box blade and back blade. I have no experience with anything smaller than my 790 and even with larger tractors it's a push, not a ram but sometimes that's just the best way to move material where it needs to go. It is smart to always be conscious of the limitations of your rig though. For that reason, I use 4wd only when needed as sometimes a little spin of the tires isn't a bad thing.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thankfully, I haven't had any issues. Sadly, you're not the only one. A few have posted where something has hit the transaxle filter and sheered it off. As the filter nipple is part of the case....well you know.

I've spoke with BroTek, as well, and indicated I was ready to order two as soon as they were available. From our conversation, he indicated the local dealer is not willing to loan him a tractor to develop a prototype. I guess I can understand the dealer's reluctance as whenever you move or perform mechanical work, there is always the chance of marring or damage.

If I were close, I provide him one of mine. With the volume of these machines that are out there, I would think this would sure be a heck of an opportunity.
I contacted Brotek a couple years ago as they had the plates listed on their site. They said it was in error and they had no intention of producing them. I would love a set for while brush hogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
What?

If they were not meant to be pushed why would they have a blade on both sides. Yes they are meant to be pushed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If they were not meant to be pushed why would they have a blade on both sides. Yes they are meant to be pushed.
Sure they have a reverse blade, which at most I would use for spreading topsoil or moving some snow, but a 3 point hitch is not truly designed for pushing, and if you do some research there are plenty of accounts of broken/bent lift arms, pins ripped out of cases, and other damage from catching something while pushing backwards. It's your tractor to use however you want but I'd recommend being extremely careful using your hitch this way and going slow.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I have no concern over how you use your tractor, but this is incorrect.

The box blade has a front and rear cutting edge. It is only designed to be pulled forward. The rear cutting edge is meant to be used with the top link extended and the blade tiled back for more smoothing action and not aggressively digging and picking up material.

Three point draft arms are meant to withstand tension loads, not compression loads. Yes, people push with them all the time. I’ve done it myself and will probably do it again. However, the draft arms are not meant for that and can/ will buckle if the hitch is used aggressively in that manner.

Again, your tractor, do whatever you want. But that’s why the box blade has a rear cutting edge.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It very well could be a case of; the box blade is designed to push material (which it is). The 1025R is maybe not designed heavy enough to push with a box blade. You just can't make a race horse out of a donkey.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yes, mine has a rear facing cutting edge. It's not like I was mistreating it
Is even possible to mistreat a box blade? :laugh:

I think what the poster was getting at is that while you can't mistreat a box blade and yours maybe designed to be used going backwards it puts a lot of pressure (as you found out) on a cast aluminum case, especially if you hit a rock or root.

Bro-Tek is the only one that I know of that offers skid plates. I thought they offered one for the 1 series. I contacted them when I had a 2210, they advertised they sold one but he said he didn't offer one for that model.

I was cruising ebay today and that someone had a filter protector for the 1 series or the 2305 (can't remember which one) so that will help. I don't think a skid plate would help you with the 3 point arm going through the case unless it came up through the bottom. The skid plates Brok-tek sell don't necessarily cover the whole trans axle if I recall.

Low ground clearance is one of the many reasons I traded my 2210 in for a 3E series. I run around in the woods and didn't like the fact I was getting underbrush up in the driveshaft area of my 2210. It had that plastic cooling fan that like to snap off blades.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the fix for your busted up housing? New housing? What actually broke the housing?
The lower arm came off on the tractor end. It was still supported by the lift arm, but able to swing inward where it smacked the trans just below the PTO. The thin cast aluminum case cracked like an egg. They have to completely disassemble the transmission/pto to replace the case. No idea how the lock clip came off, I've never removed that end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no concern over how you use your tractor, but this is incorrect.

The box blade has a front and rear cutting edge. It is only designed to be pulled forward. The rear cutting edge is meant to be used with the top link extended and the blade tiled back for more smoothing action and not aggressively digging and picking up material.

Three point draft arms are meant to withstand tension loads, not compression loads. Yes, people push with them all the time. I’ve done it myself and will probably do it again. However, the draft arms are not meant for that and can/ will buckle if the hitch is used aggressively in that manner.

Again, your tractor, do whatever you want. But that’s why the box blade has a rear cutting edge.

Thanks for your input. I'm only dragging it from now on. Expensive lesson. Still haven't found a skid plate. Will look at making something when I get the tractor back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts