Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few chances to use the new/used snow blower with the few 6" snow falls we have had. While it workes well, I always have a pretty large pile of snow at the end of a push.

This is nothing like the John Deere front blowers I have used. This unit seems like it does not do a great job of sucking the snow into the second stage. I have to use the blower as a plow at the end of a push and slowly lift it to smooth down the pile I am pushing.

Anyone else with a rear blower see the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Sure it's not just the snow?

The last snowfalls here have been just right wetness for push with my front blower.

Been going real slow as I pushed up to something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I've not used a Two-Stage, but Wet/Slush snow will push, rather than feed into my single stage blower. I'd rather have 18" of 'Puff', than 6" of sludge! ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Actually my previous single stage on my 345 pushed less than my current two stage. It might "toss" a few clumps out the front because of the faster auger speed on a single stage but I think it chopped it up as it went better.

People always talk about the performance of a two stage but that has not been my experience !

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
My 60 " Farm King rear blower has worked extremely well but I haven't had the snow like some of you in the east. The most I've had to deal with was 6-8" of light dry snow but it worked very well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had a few chances to use the new/used snow blower with the few 6" snow falls we have had. While it workes well, I always have a pretty large pile of snow at the end of a push.

This is nothing like the John Deere front blowers I have used. This unit seems like it does not do a great job of sucking the snow into the second stage. I have to use the blower as a plow at the end of a push and slowly lift it to smooth down the pile I am pushing.

Same goes for me. I've had my John Deere 3 point, 2 stage blower for about 8 or 9 years, but my old Ford NAA was a bit under powered for it and with out a live PTO it was very hard to use. So it sat for about 6 years until I got my 3320 this summer. I tried it again on my 3320 this winter and it works well. The snow seems to shoot far enough. I've used mine on 4 occasions in snow ranging from 6 - 12 inches I get the snow snow pile you are referring to. The snow I was working was not the wet stuff. I'm not sure what to do either. Like you I gradually lift the blower where I end to avoid a tall pile.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Only if the snow is really wet Brian. Rest of the time it works great...........especially last night! Went out at 8:30 and did the driveway..........about 8". Had another 6" this morning but will only take care of that toninght. Gotta love 4X4 vehicles!:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had really wet snow and light and fluffy snow. The wet snow is worse, but both seem to push quite a pile. It almost seems like the center of the auger needs a flat bar to push the snow into the second stage.

It makes me want to go faster in reverse to try to push it into the second stage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have used a blower a lot where I live. I have two rear snow blowers. One on a JD5525 and another on a JD5310 both blowers are 87 inch wide and one is a single auger and the other is a double auger. If you are making hills behind you its because you are going to fast for your conditions or you are not spinning it fast enough. They are meant to turn full speed (540 RPM) either slow down before you get to your end or like you figured out just lift it slow as you get to the end. The JD5310 is a little under powered for an 87 inch and the gearing is a little too fast so I have the biggest problem with that one on the double auger.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For me what I have found to work best is, at the end if the run I will stop for a second or two and that helps to clear the back log. Then reverse slowly for a few inches which helps to get the most it can. Ofcourse still leaves a little ridge left but easy to cleanup with one push of a shovel.
I feel the difference is the rear blowers usually have a bigger auger then the front, so I am sure that where some of the extra stow is coming from.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Hi Brian, I have a rear John Deere 2 stage blower and mine does that a bit too. Not sure what you mean by a large pile, but mine will leave a bit of a pile. Check this link out. I heard this impeller kit works well for a snow blower to make the snow shoot out farther.

SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KITS

I was looking at this last winter, but I am going to get one this month. We'll see how well it actually works. The price was reasonable. You may be able to make this kit at home yourself.

Reactions: dschuffert

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Frontier SB11 and I haven't had a problem with this at all and I've had wet snow and fluffy stuff this year. You mentioned going faster, I was gonna say slow down. Sounds to me like it isn't able to keep up with the snow coming in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts