Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some weld on swivel jacks for the rear of our trailer, which has a 2' dovetail. Is there any benefit to having them mounted on the dovetail portion vs the flat area?

Clearance is already pretty low on the dovetail, so I'm thinking to mount them just fore of it. Any drawbacks or benefits to either? Seems like if they're on the ground at the rear of the trailer prior to loading, it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
My PJ came with them mounted on the back of the dovetail.

I've never had a problem with them there.

Two reasons I like them there. First they are right at the loading point when I am coming up the ramps. Trailer deck never moves and they carry the weight. Second, less distance to screw them down.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just purchased some weld on swivel jacks for the rear of our trailer, which has a 2' dovetail. Is there any benefit to having them mounted on the dovetail portion vs the flat area?

Clearance is already pretty low on the dovetail, so I'm thinking to mount them just fore of it. Any drawbacks or benefits to either? Seems like if they're on the ground at the rear of the trailer prior to loading, it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks!

I'd like to see a picture of them when you get them mounted. I want to do the same with my dove tail. Right now I just use a 8"square wooden block I put under the back frame.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My PJ came with them mounted on the back of the dovetail.

I've never had a problem with them there.

Two reasons I like them there. First they are right at the loading point when I am coming up the ramps. Trailer deck never moves and they carry the weight. Second, less distance to screw them down.
I've seen that PJ mounts them there. I guess if you swivel the foot towards the front it wouldn't exacerbate the clearance issues too much. I've had the dovetail drag a couple of times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to see a picture of them when you get them mounted. I want to do the same with my dove tail. Right now I just use a 8"square wooden block I put under the back frame.
Sure, hopefully get them on this weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I've seen that PJ mounts them there. I guess if you swivel the foot towards the front it wouldn't exacerbate the clearance issues too much. I've had the dovetail drag a couple of times.

So far I have not had a problem dragging the dovetail. :munch:

I do swing the foot forward.

I also keep them in the garage and only put them on if I am loading equipment. No sense in them bouncing around if I am just hauling stuff.

I have also though about getting another set of mounts and attaching them somewhere as a storage position.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go. I think they'll work nicely

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
Sweet!

:good2:

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet!

:good2:
Thanks! Going to start welding on d rings today for lighter bulky loads. Built some wooden sides but they use the stake pockets so we didnt have a way to strap anything down with then on. Hopefully the rings will help that issue.

Had a pro weld the jacks since I dont trust my welding yet. I welded two of the rings onto my bucket yesterday as a test before I mess up my trailer.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I have D-rings welded to the top edge of the trailer frame.

I built side boards to haul gravel and rock, which use the stake pockets.

The sides sit down on top of the D-rings. They can still be used for stuff that isn't tall. Figured at some point I would cut notches in the side boards so that they sit flat on the deck and the rings are still usable. It's on the list, really. :munch: :laugh:

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
23,034 Posts
Here you go. I think they'll work nicely

I’ve seen this setup before and the way I will set up a trailer when I buy one. Being able to remove them is great for 2 reasons - can’t be stolen and I don’t want anything back there that can rattle going down the road.

I see so many beavertail car hauler trailers around here that have no rear jacks or support. I would never load anything without something to support the rear.

Something happened to a friend of mine some time back. Was at a neighbors with his Ford 9n. Proceeded to load it up in the driveway not paying attention that the truck/trailer were on a slight downgrade on a gravel driveway. He went for quite a ride with the 9n half on the trailer as everything took off down the driveway.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have D-rings welded to the top edge of the trailer frame.

I built side boards to haul gravel and rock, which use the stake pockets.

The sides sit down on top of the D-rings. They can still be used for stuff that isn't tall. Figured at some point I would cut notches in the side boards so that they sit flat on the deck and the rings are still usable. It's on the list, really. :munch:
That's my plan exactly. The sides are 3 2x4s tall. Just planning to cut out the bottom board over the ring.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve seen this setup before and the way I will set up a trailer when I buy one. Being able to remove them is great for 2 reasons - can’t be stolen and I don’t want anything back there that can rattle going down the road.

I see so many beavertail car hauler trailers around here that have no rear jacks or support. I would never load anything without something to support the rear.

Something happened to a friend of mine some time back. Was at a neighbors with his Ford 9n. Proceeded to load it up in the driveway not paying attention that the truck/trailer were on a slight downgrade on a gravel driveway. He went for quite a ride with the 9n half on the trailer as everything took off down the driveway.
My neighbor had something similar happen to him last week. It started to roll but he was able to get off the trailer quick. I think he's going to add some pretty soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts