Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some future planning and I see an additional 2 acres of grass to mow coming. So I have been watching craigslist for a rear finish mower for the 4520.

I am looking for a good deal, obviously, but I wonder if its smart.

I will have a large fairly flat area to cut, but I do have ag tires. Not that this lawn needs to be perfect, but I wonder if the uneven ground caused by a heavy tractor or the ag tires will really bounce around the finish mower?

Would a pull behind finish mover be any faster than my ztrac?

About the only advantage to the finish mower is that I have a nice cab, rear discharge to less clumping if not mowed weekly, and a nice cab..LOL.... But on the other hand, I might have to go slower due to mower bounce, have a packed lawn, rumble strips if mowed when wet from the ag tires, and ?

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
Brian,
I used a 5ft 3PH finish mower for years on our horse pastures. Sold it when we bought a commercial Z. One of the best moves we made.
3PH finish mowers normally have wheels at the four corners and basically free float with the contour of the land, in my experience the mower itself does not bounce very much, if at all.

How big is your ztrac- HP/Deck?

We went from a 5ft 3PH finish mower to the Z with a 52 inch cut, and it cut mowing time by at least 1/3.
It always seemed when mowing need to be done the tractor was tied up doing something else, had the BH or landscape rake on or I just did not have the time to attach the mower or feel like removing the FEL only to change it back in a couple hours. Spent more time changing attachments than I thought practical. I had to do almost all the large area mowing and with the real estate needed to turn the mower/tractor it was even a PITA for me. With the Z the wife and kids do/did a lot of the mowing, almost all, pasture and lawn.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 920 so I think its 26hp and I have a 60 inch deck. :munch:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
With a 60 inch deck I must assume you are mowing a rather large area already, what's another 2 acres? You know these machines just love to cut grass.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mow 2 acres of lawn now and will increase to 4.... I should have said that..... :wgtt:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Save the money! Unless there is distance between the places, and thus the need for two mowers, a zero turn will mow much faster than your 4520 - you'd need a batwing to compete. 4 acres of lawn is nothing as well, I'm very surprised you had that big of a mower for that small of a lawn, you should be able to handle it in less than an hour.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
I mow 2 acres of lawn now and will increase to 4.... I should have said that.....
My wife takes care of approximately 6 acres with our 52" Z. Anything under 2 acres is one beer......if you drink fast.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The tractor with a rear finished mower would be disadvantaged I feel over the zero turn from a time stand point. The only advantage with the tractor is the suspension. I use to use my Scag Turf Tiger w/ a 60" deck to cut my property, but needed a chiropractor after each mowing. :cry: With the new tractor, life is soooo much easier. I cut 4 acreas with my mid mount and the other 6 with my RC2048. I do not even use the Scag.

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
The only advantage with the tractor is the suspension.
And the air conditioned cab:laugh:

I agree, save the money, and teach the wife and kids to operate the Z :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts

That would depend on how fast ya drive!

·
Registered
640 Posts

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT :banghead:

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
My wife takes care of approximately 6 acres with our 52" Z. Anything under 2 acres is one beer......if you drink fast.
Who drinks the beer? Your wife, while she is mowing, or you watching her from a rocking chair?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Brian;
here are some thoughts/opinions on the matter.

*MMM is able to be left under the tractor. Does not have to be stored somewhere in the garage and get in the way. Can be left under the machine until needed which also frees up the 3ph for use no matter what the mowing configuration is.
*Zero turn- We had one to play with for an extended time while waiting for our 4720 to be delivered. If you have a level lot with no ruts or anything you can MOTOR right along and cover alot of ground in a short time and the cut quality is TOP NOTCH. On uneven/rutted ground they are very unforgiving.
*Rear mount finish mowers are more maneuverable around and under obstacles. Also due to the mounting are infinitely adjustable for heighth of cut such as in high or thick grass.

We went with a MMM for our 4720 due to the fact our storage space for the machine is limited. Also, the MMM can be left on and we can still run the batwing mower.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
Who drinks the beer? Your wife, while she is mowing, or you watching her from a rocking chair?
Now that was a heck of a thing to ask and its not saying very much for me either! Not very nice I want to tell ya.
First of all I don't have a rocking chair, my wife does not drink beer while mowing and I am always out there when she is mowing checking for missed spots and it makes me thirsty.:mocking:

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
I should have known better.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Now that was a heck of a thing to ask and its not saying very much for me either! Not very nice I want to tell ya.
First of all I don't have a rocking chair, my wife does not drink beer while mowing and I am always out there when she is mowing checking for missed spots and it makes me thirsty.:mocking:
:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the rotary cutter to clean up an acre around the outside of our corn field last night. While it was not perfectly smooth, it was pretty good. It still took me 45 minutes and there was nothing to go around. My lawn has over 70 pine trees and a few other trees to go around and I can get that done in an hour. This idea of a rear finish mower is done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts