Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 3320 the dealer asked me if I wanted my rear tires widened. How many settings are there and how is it changed? Why wouldn't JD just set them at the widest point?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
The answer would depend on what type of tires you have.

If you have R-4's, just a guess, they are either set normal or wide.

Do you operaton hills or uneven ground? What width of implements do you have to use behind it? If you go "wide" will they still cover your tire path?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have R1 tires, and I operate on uneven ground.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I went to your manual and it looks like you have the 8 position rims, but three of the positions are not available, most likely due to the tires hitting something.

So, you can set your tires wider very easily and its clear in the manual as to what settings are what. I could not get everything in the screen shot I attached, but this tells you the width of the rear tires that is available. I assume this is center of tire to center of tire.

If you feel unstable and have the implement width, you can go wider.

Text Green Font Software Line

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for posting that Brian.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You asked why Deere wouldn't just set them to the widest stance.

A wider stance enhances side-to-side stability, but it makes the machine wider. This can increase requirements for things like getting through gates and needing more room to park / trailer.

Additionally, the wider the stance, there more possibility of additional stress on the transaxle, wheel bearings, etc. Other attachments could work better with narrower settings too (think snowblower to clear a path wider that the wheel stance).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.