Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My x580 came with the HDAP rear tires which work great for snow but I am not sure how they will be for mowing and marking up the lawn. Should I think about getting turf tread tires for the summer?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Most people do not have issues with R4's.
I ran HDAP tires on our Zero Turn for years.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My x580 came with the HDAP rear tires which work great for snow but I am not sure how they will be for mowing and marking up the lawn. Should I think about getting turf tread tires for the summer?
I dont know where you are located but if they are 26x12-12 then I will be glad to trade with you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
I have not read any reported issues with using HDAP on lawns.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Got them on both front and rear,2wd and 4wd no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think the general consensus when I looked a few years ago was that for turf use, turfs are easiest on it, HDAP type are next, then R4 (industrial type), then R1 (Ag type).
The HDAP really arent a big step up with regard to turf wear or damage, but they do (or should) offer more traction in more conditions.
Most Gators used to come with them, and I dont recall too many people having issues with turf damage, so Id think you would be just fine.

Really, turfs can tear up a lawn quick in the right (or wrong) conditions. My Exmark can make a mess in a hurry if its too wet.
If its really dry, I can use the turning brakes on the 318 with Tru-Powers and not hurt it much.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have them on my 580 and have nothing but good to say about them under any and all conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Never had a problem unless spinning them. Then any tire will make a mark.

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Never had a problem unless spinning them. Then any tire will make a mark.
Very true.....usually, the biggest issue with any of the tires is the operator. Any tire can tear up the lawn if you get aggressive on turns, acceleration, stopping, etc....Also, when it's wet, a good set of work boots can turf some lawns......:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those that are using the HDAP tires in the winter do you use them with terragrips or do you find that the HDAPs alone have enough traction for snow and ice while snowblowing? Sometimes I think HDAP would be nice on the rears as my turf tires with terra grips can slip in deep snow but also the front turf tires can have trouble turning my x584 in the right conditions. Does no one make a more winter specific compound for ATV/lawn garden tractor tires like you see in automotive tires? (I'm thinking Bridgestone Blizzaks) At first thought it seems like having a softer compound for cold conditions would be ideal but perhaps not?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I use Terra Grips with my HDAP in the snow on a very steep driveway. I threw one during the last storm and didn't really notice until I wanted to push up the hill. No problems with last nights storm and both the grips stayed on just fine, as they would have during the previous storm if I had tightened them properly.

I push in both directions on this hill. The driveway wraps around the back of the house, then off a cliff. I don't use the grips for pushing dirt, and to be honest, the grips do a better job than my old tractor did with 350lbs of weight on the rear, ag tires, and chains combined. Who would have guessed. For winter use I recommend the grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
For those that are using the HDAP tires in the winter do you use them with terragrips or do you find that the HDAPs alone have enough traction for snow and ice while snowblowing? Sometimes I think HDAP would be nice on the rears as my turf tires with terra grips can slip in deep snow but also the front turf tires can have trouble turning my x584 in the right conditions. Does no one make a more winter specific compound for ATV/lawn garden tractor tires like you see in automotive tires? (I'm thinking Bridgestone Blizzaks) At first thought it seems like having a softer compound for cold conditions would be ideal but perhaps not?
I think Kenda makes a knobby tire that will fit the front of your tractor. It's essentially a snow blower tire. Looked at them before I replaced my front tires. The stock tires only lasted for 110 hours. Ended up going with regular turfs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dealer mentioned to me that the HDAP tires on the all wheel steer models (in the 500 series) won't fit because of clearance issues. If true I guess I'm stuck with turfs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts