Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments on rear vs side discharge decks? I'm looking at a 997 with a 60" rear discharge. From the pics the deck looks pretty solid. I mow a lot of rough/tall rural properties and when using a 3pt mower on my 2720 tractor I prefer a rear discharge as it doesn't plug up when mowing long grass.

However I seem to remember reading about someone that hated their rear discharge so much he swapped out to a side discharge. I've heard the back of the machine and engine compartment get really plugged up with grass as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
You can move clippings into fewer rows for pickup with a side discharge deck.
I also think a side discharge has more suction.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you are planning on collecting grass, side discharge is a bonus.

If you are often cutting overly tall grass, rear discharge you don't have to worry about it plugging up.
Also, you can get close to things with both sides of the deck with a rear discharge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also did this research for the same mower and deck configuration for my 10 acres. I have a 997r 72" side discharge with a mulching kit installed. It cuts my rural property with tall grass like a breeze and leaves no rows and I never have to slow down.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. My 915B came with a side discharge and bagger. I've never used the bagger in the 4yrs I've had it.

Anyone here have a Rear discharge? Do you find a lot of clippings end up in the engine compartment or rad?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Thanks for the comments. My 915B came with a side discharge and bagger. I've never used the bagger in the 4yrs I've had it.

Anyone here have a Rear discharge? Do you find a lot of clippings end up in the engine compartment or rad?
Rear discharge is only an option on the Z997. I don't know of any other Z9xx that has it as an option. However they recently came out with a few new models that I don't know as well. I did see where you mentioned you were looking at the 997 but I also don't know that of a lot of people here that have a Z997. There are a couple but I am not sure what they have for discharge.

If you don't get an answer I would post your question on this site.

LawnSite.comâ„¢ - Lawn Care Reviews

It is more focused on lawn care businesses. While they won't focus on specific John Deere stuff as much, JD isn't the only name in the game of rear discharge so there may be more people that actually use rear discharge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts