Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered this tractor, and dealer asked me if I want the rear wiper? I don’t know if I do, none of the farm tractors ever had one, but I have a front snowblower coming with this….

thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
With a front blower you probably won't need it. If you were running a rear blower it'd be a different story.

That said, what's the cost? If it's under $100 it'd be worth buying for that 1 time you'll need it 15 years from now.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I keep toying with adding a rear wiper to my TekTite Cab, been toying since 2013 when I got the tractor and Cab. I do have the wiper motor I removed from the front when the parking function failed and the Glass is set up so I can mount it, just would have to get a wiper arm and blade and run the wires, just trying to decide if it is worth it. A few times I thought it would be nice, but it is like adding more lights to my tractor, I can't over run the factory lights and with the cab lights high mounted the Snow Blower blocking the head lights is no issue. IF it was cheap enough, I would probably do it, but for the price TekTite wanted for it and for the retrofit kit, I don't think it is worth it.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I used to have a 1025R with a Mauser cab which included the rear wiper. My 2 cents on it.... save your money, not worth it. It was seldom used and because the motor as well as the wiper arm are mounted on the rear glass, it also partially blocked my view when I looked behind me.

Reactions: jdforever and kylew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if that would be the case.

I used to have a 1025R with a Mauser cab which included the rear wiper. My 2 cents on it.... save your money, not worth it. It was seldom used and because the motor as well as the wiper arm are mounted on the rear glass, it also partially blocked my view when I looked behind me.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
I have a rear wiper on my Mauser cab and I very rarely use it. Front wiper, use it all of the time. I don't use a blower so I don't have a cloud of snow flying around. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't add the rear wiper as it is usually only turned on by accident. I also have a rear camera on the roof of the cab and use it for looking behind me most of the time. The camera on the back never is obscured from vision due to snow mist, etc. so I don't think I would add the rear wiper and save your money.

I would strongly suggest adding two rear LED work lights on the top of the cab roof. Just be careful with the roof clearance on any overhead doors, etc. The rear revolving amber colored safety light is on a pivot bracket, which works well and the light works OK, it's not the brightest safety light, but certainly a reasonable solution. The bracket is handy and allows the light to be seen on all 4 sides of the cab when in the up position, but also can easily be lowered below the roof line for clearance when needed.

The other thing the cab lacks is side mounted safety lights so the tractor is visible when you are sideways to vehicle traffic, such as when clearing driveways or other properties near the roads. I added flashing LED safety lights on the side of the cab roof, which help tremendously. You want enough lights to be seen and to safely see, but not enough to be a hindrance to other vehicle operators.

Fortunately, there are enough switch locations in the roof panel to allow for these to be installed cleanly and professionally. If you are going to add lights, order the extra switches from Deere / Mauser as it makes the installation clean and consistent. The switches are complete with a fuse inside and snap right into the roof panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a rear wiper on my Mauser cab and I very rarely use it. Front wiper, use it all of the time. I don't use a blower so I don't have a cloud of snow flying around. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't add the rear wiper as it is usually only turned on by accident. I also have a rear camera on the roof of the cab and use it for looking behind me most of the time. The camera on the back never is obscured from vision due to snow mist, etc. so I don't think I would add the rear wiper and save your money.

I would strongly suggest adding two rear LED work lights on the top of the cab roof. Just be careful with the roof clearance on any overhead doors, etc. The rear revolving amber colored safety light is on a pivot bracket, which works well and the light works OK, it's not the brightest safety light, but certainly a reasonable solution. The bracket is handy and allows the light to be seen on all 4 sides of the cab when in the up position, but also can easily be lowered below the roof line for clearance when needed.

The other thing the cab lacks is side mounted safety lights so the tractor is visible when you are sideways to vehicle traffic, such as when clearing driveways or other properties near the roads. I added flashing LED safety lights on the side of the cab roof, which help tremendously. You want enough lights to be seen and to safely see, but not enough to be a hindrance to other vehicle operators.

Fortunately, there are enough switch locations in the roof panel to allow for these to be installed cleanly and professionally. If you are going to add lights, order the extra switches from Deere / Mauser as it makes the installation clean and consistent. The switches are complete with a fuse inside and snap right into the roof panel.
Awesome intel, thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just ordered this tractor, and dealer asked me if I want the rear wiper? I don’t know if I do, none of the farm tractors ever had one, but I have a front snowblower coming with this….

thoughts?
I have a rear wiper on my Tektite cab. While it is something I don't use often I have appreciated it a number of times.
If you are in a winter climate, you can be outside with winds blowing snow around in blustery conditions.
I have had times in an evening out clearing snow where the wind would blow enough around to keep coating my back window.
Most of it would melt with my heater going strong but cleaning the snow and water off with the wiper made constantly backing up easier from a visibility stand point.
As another said, if it is not expensive why not? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it if it is not crazy expensive as an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

thoughts?
Cost is about $400, leaning towards going without

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Cost is about $400, leaning towards going without
Just a little background on my snow clearing activities. I use a custom built snow plow, which is 87" wide, which is extreme, but I have the equipment set up to handle it, plus I have used this plow since I built it, nearly 10 years ago. When I plow, I plow on average 25 to 30 residential driveways which are on average 150' long and one is 550' and another nearly 1,000' in length. I typically spend 3 to 4 hours plowing snow each outing. On a typical season, I will plow these 30 driveways, an average of 35 to 40 times, when the snow is 4" or more. So, I plow the equivalent of 1,000 to 1,200 residential driveways each season.

I wanted to tell you this so you don't think I am plowing one or two drives and spending 20 minutes do so. Its a lot of time spent plowing snow and while I enjoy it, it also paid for the entire machine multiple times over already. It;s also important to use the heater in the cab correctly, which helps to keep the windows clear and visibility good.

Personally, I would go without it. If you regret the decision, you can always add it. I put my rear wiper on myself and it was very easy to do. The wiper motor mounts on the glass and the only thing you would want to confirm is that the cab, when ordered without the wiper from the factory, does have the grommet in the glass to remove and mount the wiper if deisred later. In other words, just make sure the rear window without the factory wiper can add a factory wiper later, should you want. I am pretty sure the window comes with the grommet in it for mounting the rear wiper, but I am not 100%...........

·
Registered
938 Posts
$400.00, is about what Tektite wanted and why I skipped the option. I do keep wondering if I want to install though its not a priority

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I purchased a 1025 with mauser cab last winter, without the wiper. I do run a 3 pt blower and soon wished I had the wiper. So looked up the wiper kit somewhere online pn LP68115 if memory serves...(JD parts site of some sort) and it was like $250 Anyway price was same at my dealer as online so I had my dealer order it. I have been happy with it.
So maybe skip it for now and if you decide you want it you can install yourself later and save some money. Kit included all hardware, cover, motor, arm, blade, wiring harness, switch, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts