Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi tractor freinds,

I need a small push mower to get into some tough areas. Mostly where the grass is soft or close up to the deck and around beds.

I was going to just buy the cheapest $150 model at HD, but thought I would put it out here as well. Use will be very light. Maybe 20mins out of the 2hrs of cutting with the JD.

Is Self-propelled a necessity on these little things? I'm thinking if it makes it much easier, I'm all for that as I am pretty worn out after taking care of my entire property in an afternoon.

Let me know what a great value is.

Hoping to spend around $250 max.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,815 Posts
Is Self-propelled a necessity on these little things? I'm thinking if it makes it much easier, I'm all for that as I am pretty worn out after taking care of my entire property in an afternoon.
Push mowers with the bigger wheels in the back make a huge difference and sort of negates the need for being self-propelled.
Such as this...
reduced-craftsman-big-wheel-mulching-push-mower-nice-100-monroe-union-county-americanlisted_1622.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
I need to get a new push mower too. I could replace the carb on mine (again!) but it's probably cheaper to just buy a new machine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I got a high wheel yard machine from HD years ago, I use it maybe 10-15mins a week during mow season to cut around the house, pool and kids play area. I will echo the large wheel statement that it makes turning much easier. It has been strong for 8 years with just random oil changes and keeping gas in it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,815 Posts
I got a high wheel yard machine from HD years ago, I use it maybe 10-15mins a week during mow season to cut around the house, pool and kids play area. I will echo the large wheel statement that it makes turning much easier. It has been strong for 8 years with just random oil changes and keeping gas in it.
The last push mower I bought with the small wheels on the back that matched the fronts, it was cheaper than the big wheel mower.
Took the big wheels and brackets off the old mower and put them on the new mower. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I'm of the opinion that if I can't reach it with the tractor and it is to big on an area to get with a string trimmer than it just really doesn't need to be cut.

All kidding a side good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm of the opinion that if I can't reach it with the tractor and it is to big on an area to get with a string trimmer than it just really doesn't need to be cut.

All kidding a side good luck on your search.

I'm with you on that, but what I realized after last year is that the tractor tires are what is ruining my freshly edged beds. Sharp corners require me to drive the tractor deeper into the corner and it kills some of the bed. That and there are some muddy spots in my lawn that will never recover with the tractor tearing it up all the time.

I am liking the model below for $229. I have several Husqy units and they have served me well.

5521P Push Mower - Lawnmowers

Amazon.com : Husqvarna 5521P 21-Inch 140cc Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower With High Rear Wheels : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
We have a $200 Yardman push mower as well as a Toro Super Recycler that cost three times as much. The Yardman is a better bagger and side discharge mower than the Toro. Starts on the first pull every time, is light and easy to push and manuver and sips gas.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I'll agree with the larger rear wheels, but pushing uphill is still "pushing uphill". I inherited an old MTD large rear wheel push mower when my MIL passed. More easy to maneuver than the small wheel models, but my yard is sloped. Mowing down hill was a breeze, then it was always an effort pushing it back up to the garage. FWIW, I'd look into self propelled if you have a sloped yard.

Edit:... IMO, Rear powered wheels are better than front wheel drive.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used my Lawn Boy for over 30 years. Very few problems but it's getting time for a self propelled. The hills, although gentle get tougher every year. I want a rear bagger so I can mow close to either side. My main use is an 80' x 80' dog yard and around the outside of the chain link fence. I try to mow as close as possible with my tractor and live by the philosophy of "plant it so I can easily mow close or don't plant it."

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:flag_of_truce: I have gone one step farther. I do not have a push mower any more and only on a very rare occasion use a string trimmer. I have designed all my landscaping to the point of not needing these tools for weekly yard maintenance. It is just a couple hours on the big machine and a half hour with the backpack blower and done. Oh, on a monthly basis I do some walk and driveway edging.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,815 Posts
I'll agree with the larger rear wheels, but pushing uphill is still "pushing uphill". I inherited an old MTD large rear wheel push mower when my MIL passed. More easy to maneuver than the small wheel models, but my yard is sloped. Mowing down hill was a breeze, then it was always an effort pushing it back up to the garage. FWIW, I'd look into self propelled if you have a sloped yard.

Edit:... IMO, Rear powered wheels are better than front wheel drive.

Just my 2 cents.
Hmmm, I think just the opposite. Pushing down on the handle so to raise the front end to make a sharper turn or to cut higher grass doesn't work too well.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Using a guessing 10 yr old Lawnboy that my daughter FIL gave me ,,, (I did give him $50.00) he just doesn't know about me doing this.
Rear drive self propel..great..
If you have hills and looking for a cheap rear wheel drive self propel ,,,,don't buy the low end models of Toro... has metal gear on mower and plastic teeth on the wheels.. Piece of S_ _ _...
Never thought it made any difference , if push mower drive wheels was on the front or the rear... It does make a BIG difference.

Like someone else said ,,if looking for a cheap mower check out the paper , bulletin board, craigslist.. for used ( sometimes like new) push or riders. Around here used push mowers go for $50-75.00. Good luck.

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Hmmm, I think just the opposite. Pushing down on the handle so to raise the front end to make a sharper turn or to cut higher grass doesn't work too well.
You don't have to have the self-propelled engaged all the time....:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts