Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if an electrical question should be posted here however it is for an attachement.

I have a home built winch/battery holder that attaches to the front or back of a tractor/gator etc via a 2” receiver.
The battery is removable for charging etc or using a different one if needed.
The switch is attached onto the frame of the attachement.

A couple of questions.
You’ll see the switch is connected to the solenoid with a green and black wire. There is a red wire as well off the switch, that the instructions say it should be attached to the ignition... There is no ignition so should the wire go directly to the positive wire off the solenoid?

I need a simple way to connect the positive/negative off the solenoid to the battery. I want to be able to disconnect once I’ve done my pulling. Would soldering the end of the solenoid wires to booster cable connectors work or other ideas?? What gauge would I need?

Thanks....Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Since you have ring terminals you could drill and tap a shallow hole into the battery post and use a bolt to hold the terminal on.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
There is a red wire as well off the switch, that the instructions say it should be attached to the ignition... There is no ignition so should the wire go directly to the positive wire off the solenoid?

I need a simple way to connect the positive/negative off the solenoid to the battery. I want to be able to disconnect once I’ve done my pulling. Would soldering the end of the solenoid wires to booster cable connectors work or other ideas?? What gauge would I need?

Thanks....Keith
The Ignition would be HOT(positive) if you had one. Connecting the RED wire to the Positive terminal is what needs to be done. However, I'd install a switch between the Red wire and the Positive terminal.

Soldering would be fine.

From looking at your photos, do you intend for the battery to remain with the winch?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

“From looking at your photos, do you intend for the battery to remain with the winch?”

Not always, so it’s been built with hooks for the bungee cord that will hold the battery in place.
I’d like to have the flexibility to take off the battery from the attachement easily. That’s why I was thinking of booster cable grips (cant think of the right descriptor!).

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
The red wire is intended to go to the ignition to ensure that the vehicle engine is running and charging the battery while you are using the winch. Obviously, you won't have that but you can just connect the red lead to the battery positive terminal. As suggested, it wouldn't hurt to put a switch in that line just as an added safety precaution.

As for connecting the main power leads, go spend the $5 and get yourself a set of adapters.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-terminal-end-and-adapter/duralast-battery-terminal-end-and-adapter/95967_0_0

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

As John stated, drill and tap the top of the battery post. Install a Battery Cut-Off Switch in-line on the NEGATIVE cable, or at the terminal.

Use the wiring supplied with the winch/solenoid set-up.

PUSH the green button to shop for a battery Cut-Off Switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
As JimR stated, these will work also.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great ideas/diagram.

With a cut off switch in place, can I charge the battery on a tender with no power going to the winch?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Thanks for the great ideas/diagram.

With a cut off switch in place, can I charge the battery on a tender with no power going to the winch?
YES :thumbup1gif:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts