Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New hood latch release on 4066r and others need a screwdriver or such to open hood.

Consider this to be a bit of dumbassery on Deere's part and needs fixing.

Removed the too short rod (held in place by a small cotter hairpin), even lopped a little off to make room
for a coupler, threaded the end 1/4 X 20 threads.

Installed a 1/4" coupler and jam nut (used *blue* Locktite also to make sure they don't unscrew).

On the other end of the coupler installed a 1/4" stainless steel Philips head screw and jam nut (also
used blue Locktite on that end for final assembly).

The Philips head looks like a little button that's supposed to be there. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
New hood latch release on 4066r and others need a screwdriver or such to open hood.

Removed the too short rod (held in place by a small cotter hairpin), even lopped a little off to make room

Installed a 1/4" coupler and jam nut (used *blue* Locktite also to make sure they don't unscrew).

On the other end of the coupler installed a 1/4" stainless steel Philips head screw and jam nut (also

Now that's some good old fashioned jerry-rigging. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that's some good old fashioned jerry-rigging. :thumbup1gif:
For some odd reason, when I saw that it just aggravated the hell out of me.

Probably some weird safety reason, but just damn!! :banghead::banghead: :lol:

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
:bigthumb: looks good OC--u need to patent that-ok.:lol: i would sure like ur idea of opening the hood way better than their idea:banghead:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice. I like it. I’ll be doing that to mine

·
Old Pa-pa
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. I like it. I’ll be doing that to mine
Best way to do it would be to just get a 1/4" rod and make a new longer one, should be able to shape it like too short Deere one and
come out about 1/2" from of side and round off end with angle grinder.

Should be able to cold bend 1/4" rod with no problem.

Didn't have a 1/4" rod, didn't feel like running to town again, so decided to *redneck* it. :thumbup1gif::laugh:

·
Administrator
18,787 Posts
Probably some weird safety reason, but just damn!! :banghead::banghead: :lol:

Yes it is...Tim (TTWT) covered this in his video from Germany, the EU now requires a "tool" to open the hood. Yes, we are not the EU...yet.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is...Tim (TTWT) covered this in his video from Germany, the EU now requires a "tool" to open the hood. Yes, we are not the EU...yet.
Yes sir-eee, people that deal with tractors, PTO shafts, all kind of spinning dangerous equipment are safer now that
they can't open their hoods without a *tool*!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,429 Posts
Best way to do it would be to just get a 1/4" rod and make a new longer one, should be able to shape it like too short Deere one and
come out about 1/2" from of side and round off end with angle grinder.

Should be able to cold bend 1/4" rod with no problem.

Didn't have a 1/4" rod, didn't feel like running to town again, so decided to *redneck* it. :thumbup1gif::laugh:
Even better. Nice job. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I would think Deere would want to add a digitally encrypted lock that only a dealer with the correct electronic key could open. Oh wait we shouldn’t give them any ideas.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts

So now you just use a phillips driver instead of the screwdriver ? Or do you just push thumb against the new phillips head ?? Is it stainless ? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Yes sir-eee, people that deal with tractors, PTO shafts, all kind of spinning dangerous equipment are safer now that
they can't open their hoods without a *tool*!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::laugh:
Yup, just another engineer listening to the lawyers. :banghead::banghead:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the old latch in the front.

BTW-I like it, think I'll be doing mine.:good2:

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
:good2:

Nice job OC!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,361 Posts
I have to say...nice job. Thing is, how long have you had your tractor? That would have been done within 2 days max. :lolol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts