Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our creek has been under assault by storm rains over the past few years with creek banks giving up 5-20 ft of turf per storm. Contributing to this washout (IMO) was using weed killer on the bank to save time weedeating.

Back in 2012 I had my son with his young back, shovel and a mattock straighten the creek by redirecting the flow by straightening it and then setting 24 cinder blocks as a wall while we backfilled the washed out area with all forms of organic matter...

Without a tractor with a backhoe any true attempt to solve the issue was adhoc and backbreaking.

Enter JD

some of grown up bank

From the operator station

after first hour or so

during first all out day of reclaiming the bank.

One thing the 1025r backhoe lacks is reach. That means I had to rebuild and secure the near bank and take risks to get the bucket to the far side

More to come

·
Administrator
18,291 Posts
Nice pics :thumbup1gif:

Why do you leave the MMM on and risk damaging it in this conditions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pics :thumbup1gif:

Why do you leave the MMM on and risk damaging it in this conditions?
cant lower it.. never have taken it off... :banghead:
I figure if I cant lower the deck lower than 7 on the scale how am I to take it off...I'll probably call the dealer and have them redo it after the grass stops growing...

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I was saying the length of the boom of the 260 is a bit short for my creek.
I had to get to close, reallll close to the edge..

So that means I had to build the bank and back the tractor close as possible to the edge

Building up the bank

before

during

more to come

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Why is there someone on here trying to tell someone how you use there tractor ! If he doesn't want to take his mmm off than let it be it's his tractor if he wants to trash it that's his business not yours ! Why don't you try and sell him some hooks !

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Why is there someone on here trying to tell someone how you use there tractor ! If he doesn't want to take his mmm off than let it be it's his tractor if he wants to trash it that's his business not yours ! Why don't you try and sell him some hooks !
I think what Kenny was trying to point out is that it's fairly easy to damage a $3000+ auto-connect, mid mount mower and attaching parts when using the rig for backhoe work in a very rough area. The rig looks nearly new as well. The few minutes it takes to drop the deck is time well spent!

We're all here to help and offer assistance. Kenny's comments were spot on and the OP may not have considered the consequences. :hi:

·
Banned
21 Posts
So what you are saying he's not smart enough to figure out how to operate his tractor on his own ! It's his tractor he's a grown man let him use it as he wants ! To many know it all snobs on hear !

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
So what you are saying he's not smart enough to figure out how to operate his tractor on his own ! It's his tractor he's a grown man let him use it as he wants ! To many know it all snobs on hear !
Pakrat101,

You're jumping to conclusions. You might want to focus on being positive and providing others with the benefit of your knowledge and assistance.

Too many know it all snobs in here.............? Really :dunno:

·
Banned
21 Posts
He's reclaiming a creek bank so what you all are saying he doesn't know what he's doing and you can do it better looks like he's done a hellve a good job with you-all standing over him and telling him how to do it or telling him how bad he screwd it up ! If you look close in his pics his mmm is just fine he's using his backhoe dosent look like it's in harm's way!

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
He's reclaiming a creek bank so what you all are saying he doesn't know what he's doing and you can do it better looks like he's done a hellve a good job with you-all standing over him and telling him how to do it or telling him how bad he screwd it up ! If you look close in his pics his mmm is just fine he's using his backhoe dosent look like it's in harm's way!
Look, the comments were well intended and offered for the benefit of the OP. It's up to him whether he heeds the good advice or not.

As someone who's been using a backhoe for longer than I'd like to admit, loose and / or wet ground can cause the stabilizers to sink quickly and easily. The next thing you know the mid-mount mower is in the dirt and the tractor is stuck. Damage can and will occur, especially if there is debris in the area being worked. The comments were made to point this out. Simply and easily understood by anyone who is concerned about their long term investment or intelligent and open-minded bystanders..........

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
That isn't at all what anyone said. Also, no one is standing over him telling him how to do it or how bad he screwed it up. You're making things up. Your remarks in this thread are uncalled for, and I believe you owe everyone an apology. No one was out of line offering advice, it's what we're all here for. No one denigrated him nor said that he didn't know what he was doing. I'm sure he appreciates advice from people with experience because like you said, he's a grown man, and grown men are appreciative of such advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm 51 years old, just invested 19k in my first "real" tractor. My main reason for coming to this forum is the the knowledge of many of its members. And above it looks like Kenny was offering some of his knowledge. Yes, we're all (most) grown folks here and can decide on our own which advice to heed. Good, bad or indifferent. Nothing said here looked like criticism except for the poster posting about criticism. Nuff said.

To the OP,
Doing a great job. Keep at it and keep us posted how it comes along. My thoughts, figure out how to remove that mower. It makes doing jobs like that WAY easier. I was without the know how and quite frankly guts to remove it for about the first week. Once I figured out how easy it really was, I now only have it on to mow. Rest of the time it sits all cleaned up under a tarp on 4x4s.
If you need step by step, I'd be glad to provide it as someone did for me.

Otherwise, keep on keeping on and enjoy that tractor as much as I'm enjoying mine.

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well well. I guess I missed the fun. Theres one in every group I guess.

To the OP, and everyone else. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here, and several of us have made mistakes and learned from them, and wish to pass that along so others dont make similar mistakes.
I personally have a tendency to take criticism at its worst, but do my best on here to try not to do that. I think thats the biggest point, take any comments as helpful, because if you want to find negativity, you certainly can and will with any post, because we cant see and hear someone speaking to us.

Anyway, great project to undertake. You are surely testing the limits of the 1025 and backhoe, but if it gets it done, thats what counts!

I too agree about the deck, more so that you find out how to remove it, in case there is an issue with it. Better to find out now as opposed to later, and have the dealer take care of it!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
To take it in another direction, just a reminder to please be careful working on banks beside bodies of water. The general rule I have read somewhere is to stay as far away from the edge as the bank is tall. If someone else knows something more accurate I would like to know it for my own benefit. This is, of course, because the bank can crumble beneath the weight of the tractor and you can end up with the tractor rolled over with you under water.

The creek doesn't look very deep and the bank doesn't look very tall, so don't be angry at me for bringing it up. :laugh::hide2: But something to keep in mind.

Looks great so far. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ohhh damn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well... this thread got dethreaded right damn quick, eh?

Pakrat101... I appreciate your concern about people being critical of the use of the mmm. Welp.. I guess that's mute seeing he's banned.. deservedly so.

To the others...I appreciate your kind advice and hints.. I know it comes from experience and well meaning.

My mmm has never been lowered... it refuses to budge below 7.... so how the Eff do I lower it.

I cant do without my mower now I mow twice a week, so its not an option to leave it at the dealer for 2-3 weeks.

Secondly, if I had known that the deck was not durable and more fragile than robust, then I would never even considered this tractor. It is a $20k machine that is supposed to be rugged and dependable. I do not mow dainty straight lawns...I mow rough terrain, up and down hills, around sawmills, around and over stray lumber...cars and trucks... 2 trailers.. and freeking rosebushes.

I expect my equipment to hold up, to take punishment and do it with a damn smile...

Are you guys telling me the 1025r and the mmm is not what I expected?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts