Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2010 Mercury Mariner. She says it needs new headlights, Neither of us have the night vision we use to :flag_of_truce:. Can anyone suggest a brighter bulb? She says the lights on my Silverado are much better.

It's not the housings/lens fogged over, they are still very clear.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
I just put the Sylvania silvers star premium bulbs in my 4 runner. It was a huge improvement over the old std Sylvania. I don’t recall the model, but Walmart has 3 levels from $30-$50 per pair. These were the $50 ones.

·
Registered
23,044 Posts
Something like Silver Stars are OK because they are still basically a halogen bulb. Putting anything else into a halogen housing will cause blinding to oncoming drivers.

Nothing worse than being blinded by an oncoming vehicle with aftermarket bulbs.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Another vote for Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Very bright, very white and 100% legitimate as a replacement. They come as a pair so the cost isn't as high as it seems if you're used to buying single bulbs.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Another vote for Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Very bright, very white and 100% legitimate as a replacement. They come as a pair so the cost isn't as high as it seems if you're used to buying single bulbs.
I put one of those in my wife's truck. HID on the other side. They were pretty close to the same.

Reactions: glc

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I a still looking. Sylvania has several offerings. Not a lot of difference in price. What are your thoughts on these:

Silverstar Ultra

ZXE

ZXE Gold

I think Silverstar Ultras have Halogen gas fill

ZXE have xenon gas fill

ZXE Gold have xenon gas fill and tip is gold color (the Mariner has a chrome piece in the headlight housing so you would not see the gold, or for that matter the bulb at all. I think it's to reflect light back to the rear reflector then forward :dunno:)

I read halogen bulbs dim as they age, the bulbs are at least 5 years old, maybe original :dunno:, we bought the Mariner used.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My wife has a 2010 Mercury Mariner. She says it needs new headlights, Neither of us have the night vision we use to :flag_of_truce:. Can anyone suggest a brighter bulb? She says the lights on my Silverado are much better.

It's not the housings/lens fogged over, they are still very clear.

I have the same basic car that I bought recently in a 2012 Escape with original headlights. I am also looking to upgrade. The high beams are great. Not so much for the low beams as I suspect they were used the most and need replaced.

Dave

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Looks like a lot of people had problems putting LEDs in cars that did not have them OEM. Computer thinking the bulbs were burnt out, flashing, radio noise, lows work, but not highs, not lining up right in the housing, not fitting the housing. Not only this brand, but LEDs in general had a lot of bad reviews. :banghead:
I put them in my wife’s Cadillac 2 years ago and haven’t had a single issue with them. I got the low beam only ones. Works for her. I suppose it depends on the vehicle and installation process. If you get the “plug and play” LED’s they don’t require the ECM to adjust. I was against doing this and put the brightest replacement bulbs at the time in it, and she wasn’t satisfied, so I did the conversion kit. So far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The silver stars are a huge improvement over standard bulbs, I’ve used them for years but they do have a noticeably shorter life span.

I’ve tried several LED replacements and have yet to find one that gives the same beam pattern as the halogen bulb. It’s easy to see why when you look at the halogen filament is a point source at an exact distance from the reflector and most all LED replacements are a number of LED chips around and along a piece of material the length of the whole original bulb. Most of these give off a blinding wall of light with no focus at all. There is not difference between hi and low beam even.

I’m also very suspicious given the above if any of them are actually legal though many claim to be. The only way to get a proper beam from these would be a lens and reflector designed for them.

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not taking the chance in LEDS :flag_of_truce:

My wife said what ever lights I get better NOT blind other drivers :nunu:

So I ordered Sylvania SilverStar Ultras H13. The ZXE were about 50% more and the ZXE Gold more yet. :gizmo:

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I just ordered the Silverstar Ultra also. H13.

Dave

Reactions: glc and rydplrs
1 - 13 of 13 Posts