Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple of 5 gal racing-type jugs (no vent problems). Don't see real reason to go to larger storage since can buy diesel 1/2 mi away. But would like to make it easier when refilling. So far have found a FloNGo siphon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TG9J36/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza but reviews just don't grab me. Have seen some manual winder pumps, but they don't look suited to jugs. If there's a 12v option, wouldn't have to lift jugs - even if can do with FEL. Not excited about battery models.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Don't fill the jugs

Until you find your ideal pump, may I suggest that you only fill the jugs about half way so they are easier to lift? With you supply that close, it's not a big deal to make another run. In fact, if you are working the tractor hard you could just drive it over there for a complete fill up but lifting full 5 gallon jugs gets old in a hurry.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have a basic electronic fuel pump with a short hose on input side and a long hose on exit. Wired to a cigarette lighter plug. I used it when 4 wheeling to transfer fuel from 5 gallon jerry cans mounted in back of pickup to my kids atvs. It worked pretty well.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If I ever have to buy new fuel jugs, I'll buy 2 1/2 gallon jugs instead of 5 gallon. Considering that my 5 gallon Blitz can is over 35 years old, the chances are slim that I will have to replace any of them.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This sounds nice. Possible to get a pic of your setup? Do you clip to battery or add a cigarette connector for power?
I used it a couple of times with the battery clips but decided there had to be a better way, so I also mounted a small 12v battery with a battery minder along with the pump . I didn't try using the 12v socket on the tractor 'cause I have 3 machines I wanted to use the pump with and just decided to make it totally machine independent. If just using it with the one tractor I would probably try the 12v socket.

I had a picture in an earlier thread here, second pic:

12v transfer pump

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a picture in an earlier thread here, second pic:
Thanks. Now remember seeing it when first posted. Looks like that pump draws 13 amps. From what I can tell, most cigarette plugs are good for 10 amps, so doesn't look promising. Thinking, thinking. :laugh:

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you want to drop some serious money on a wonderful fueling system, I have this 58 gallon tank with fuel pump and discharge nozzle. It's designed for pallet forks, so it goes in the back of my pickup truck when empty and I take to our bulk dealer for red diesel. Lifting jugs for my 4720 was a huge PITA.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to drop some serious money on a wonderful fueling system, I have this 58 gallon tank with fuel pump and discharge nozzle. It's designed for pallet forks, so it goes in the back of my pickup truck when empty and I take to our bulk dealer for red diesel. Lifting jugs for my 4720 was a huge PITA.
The wallet moths will not permit usage of serious money. :laugh: Really, for the amount of diesel we use & the proximity of supply, a pair of 5 gals is all we need. Just trying to make it a little easier.

·
Premium Member
12,606 Posts
A 1/2 of a mile to the station, I'd just drive the tractor there and fill up as needed, if that is not an option that you are comfortable with several of these other ideas will work just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts