Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, NOT sure if this is the best place to ask this, but will throw it out there and see ??
I am looking for a new camera, something simple basic, but with a decent zoom, auto focus plus manual, I am looking for a lower cost quality camera, as I am hard on things and don't get many yrs out of a camera, they rattle about in my truck, on my atv and so on?
I had a Kodak easyshare Z712IS for the past 7-8 yrs that held up pretty good and OK on pic's all but low light where it sucked, But a few weeks ago it fell off my deck and hasn't worked right since, so, need a new camera?

can anyone suggest one, I only use it for taking pic's of critters mostly, and many times low light, so a plus would be if it worked better there(NO flash, as most things are past flash range) wishing for at least a 12x optical zoom and more on digital, more optical zoom would be nice as again things can be OUT there a ways
SO< any suggestions and again, NOT looking for super quality, just a decent camera for a value price not a top shelf model??
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Recommendation for a new camera?

Thanks, I have helped tag/trap and even mount a bunch of bears over the yrs, so, I have pretty good grip on estimating them, 30+ yrs of being closely about bears, you get some good feel for there size
but I still admit, angle of view, light conditions and distance can sure make it hard on judging a bear, they just have so many features that differ from one to another, seen BIG bears with BIG ears and small, and long legs and short , there just odd critters to guess weight and size on , unless you have things to really compare them to
but yes, I say this guy will break 600 lbs as is, and come fall, he will be a a good 100-150+ more so long as he makes it

anyone have any suggestions on a camera??
as again I am looking for a new one?
and mean hand held, NOT trail cam
all the above pic's were taking with my Kodak as mentioned in my above post!?

Open to suggestion as I am NOT that well versed in camera's>/

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
You really can't go wrong with Nikon, Canon, Fuji, or Panasonic. They each offer so many choices it's hard to recommend one. The best thing to do is to go to each manufacturer's site and look at the specs. Most of them will allow you to bring up a page with comparisons on a couple models.

With that said, since going digital with my photography hobby, I've used Pentax DSLR high end gear and lenses. But because of the weight and the lack of ambition for it the past couple years, I got myself a higher end point & shoot after more than a year of research. I ended up going with a Fujifilm x30.

With any camera there are compromises in the professional world as well as the P&S world. Sticking to the P&S's, there are just so many choices. Don't get hung up on megapixel count - even a 10mp camera can produce a stunning print at 8x10. Concentrate on the lens. Usually the longer the lens (zoom magnification) the less the quality of the image unless you want to spend some serious money. Being my photography is 99% for wildlife I had a hard time choosing a small camera. I wanted something much smaller than a DSLR body. All the manufacturers I mentioned above have what they call a "bridge" camera which is basically the size of a DSLR but with a fixed lens with ultra long zooms.

I ended up choosing the x30 because of features and lens quality and speed. The lens is only a 28mm-112mm (4x) but when you start getting more zoom power than that the lens gets slower and will offer more distortion.

There are threads on this very subject on photography forums that will go on for years and be hundreds of pages long - and it will never end as there are new cameras coming out many times a year. The best thing you can do is make yourself a list of priorities (zoom length, lens speed, features, and body size) then start looking around. But be ready to compromise on something. Photography itself in itself is a craft of compromises......

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ended up going with a Fujifilm x30.

Don't get hung up on megapixel count -QUOTE]

Coaltrain makes a good point about the glass. Once you engineer the sensors and the electronics...they just get less expensive.
What you can't drive the price down for is good lenses. The glass is what counts. Find a Canon, Fuji and Nikon point and shoot or "mirrorless" camera with a lens made by Canon, Fuji or Nikon. If they are putting their own glass on the camera you'll be happy with the resolution and lack of distortion. I've got a Fuji X-E1 with a few Fuji lenses. It is shocking how clear the images are. The X30 sounds pretty sweet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've had several Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, or Panasonic cameras over the last 15 years. I also look for a decent point and shoot with a good set of optics and zoom. Most point and shoots die when the lens system gets jammed up with dirt and debris. Right now I'm using an Canon 24 optical zoom for work (peronal camera) and a Pentax K10D (I think) digital SLR for better optics.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sensor size is more important than mega pixels. For a point and shoot, I think 7-12mp is the sweet spot. "Oh, but that's so low...." Maybe, but a fully exposed medium resolution image in low light beats a blurry mess because the ISO was raised way up to try to see for the capture.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
BUT my android phone takes just as good pics and I rarely use the other camera since I usually have my phone at hand.
These phones have really taken over the P&S camera market. I don't know how they do it with such a tiny lens. But this seems to be the way of the masses. And even Adobe (Photoshop maker) has made applications just for phones for enhancing images.

But when you don't have a phone that that fits in your pocket or not tethered.......

Phones are for talking - cameras are for image capture.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, sorry late getting back here
yes I am looking for a more or less point and shoot camera but hoping to find one with a good optical zoom, 16 power or more would be great, as I have 12x now and would like a little more if possible
but I would also like a cam that works better in LOW light, without need of the flash

as many of the things I tend to take pic';s of are way past flash range, and my current cam always try's to use the flash and it white outs the pic's or makes them too dark to see
even when light is rather good yet outside
like an hr before sun set, my current cam wants to use the flash, when there is a hr or more of Good light

so, any suggestions on good low light cam with a bunch of optical zoom?
and trying to keep price down under 500 if possible??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK please school me here on lens and how they determine power of zoom

MY old camera, on the lens it says 12x optical zoom
and then says Varigon 36 mm- 432 mm

so would that mean , the cam in this link, has a larger optical zoom(NOT digital zoom) than my old camera or not?
as I am trying to find a cam with a more powerful zoom than what I have??

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&pc_redir=T1&tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20

sorry, I Just don't get the info, and different terms on camera's
sold rifle scopes and binoculars for yrs, but seems a lot of double talk in camera's as to them?? lol

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Zoom and focal length is relative to the aperure which is relative to the sensor size. With digital, the focal length isn't fixed like it was with 35mm film. Phones have tiny sensors, with tiny lenses, with super short focal lengths. The last article I saw mentioned the equivalent of a 4mm lens. 15mm in a aps-c camera looks like beer goggles from barrel distortion.

Those a5000's are a sweet camera. You might want a bigger zoom, but you'll have that option.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so, still confused, would that sony have more zoom than my old camera or not??
and if I follow, a larger zoom could be added to it??

I am trying to stay under 500, so don't wish to have to add a lens to it if possible to get what I want in a new camera?

I also don't need any wi Fi, or a lot of options, I'm simple, I just want a reliable camera that has a good zoom and takes good clear pic's
I don't do most social media things, minus a few forums
and don't do anything special with taking pictures, just one setting has worked for me on old camera for 10 yrs or so! LOL

so??
still open for suggestions and again clearing up IF the sony has more zoom than what I have now?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks , but I am honestly looking for a high zoom camera, as thing I take pic's of can be a 100 yards out or more, and need all the zoom I can get, even blowing pic 's, I do that now with the zoom I have now, and looking for more lol

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
If you want a high zoom lens that has any quality they cost money. Plus the fact you need some kind of stabilization at longer focal lengths or you will just have blurry pics if handheld.

This is what you can get with a professional quality 300mm lens in front of a high quality DSLR - this combo alone new would cost $1945.00......

1 - 20 of 53 Posts