Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14x32 portable building with white vinyl siding. The north side is in shade 100% of the time and it is developing a greenish tint in certain places which I assume is mold, mildew, etc. due to never being exposed to the Sun.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good vinyl siding cleaner that doesn't need a pressure washer and doesn't require scrubbing? I seem to recall reading about some that you applied with a garden pressure sprayer and then hosed off but I can't find the thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Jomax.:bigthumb:

Spray on, scrub or pressure wash off.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have had real good luck with "wet it and forget it". Comes in gallons on Amazon. Spray it on, a good soaking theN in a couple of days rinse it off. I have also used it on a roof and just let the rain wash it off. Very happy.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
I used a Swiffer Sweeper with a long handle last year on one section of the north side of the house.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Call Troy the siding guy, he can get anything off even graffitti and he doesn't use a "swiffer" either..
Giz you need to call the swiffer people and have them add that to their commercials... Sort of like the ginsu guy that can cut 2x4's then slice a tomato with ease....
Kenny had the best answer by the way..

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. The more I examine the siding I think the greenish stuff is some sort of Algae rather than actual mold, etc. Other than the greenish stuff the siding isn't too bad.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The more I examine the siding I think the greenish stuff is some sort of Algae rather than actual mold, etc. Other than the greenish stuff the siding isn't too bad.
Does it wipe off if really dry?

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Hmmm... good question... I'll give it a test
Almost all of ours would wipe off when dry, not at all when wet. Hence, the Swiffer Sweeper. :thumbup1gif:
An old hand towel attached to the Swiffer worked even better.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
I found that the deck cleaners do an excellent job on siding too. When I used Olympic deck cleaner on my back deck some of it got onto the siding and when I hosed it off the siding was spotless. So I just kept spraying that section of siding to get it all to match and it cleaned up everything beautifully. Spray it on with a hand sprayer and hose it off....

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it wipe off if really dry?
I just checked and it does seem to wipe off but it is almost impossible to do so because the siding has a bit of a deep texture which makes for a lot of nooks and crannies. Below is a photo of a portion of the siding.

IMG_2207a.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
I just checked and it does seem to wipe off but it is almost impossible to do so because the siding has a bit of a deep texture which makes for a lot of nooks and crannies. Below is a photo of a portion of the siding.
That's what ours looked like last Spring.
I just took this picture...

Siding.jpg

The siding and mildew has to be bone dry and use a coarse, clean, dry hand towel.

BTW, Our siding looks to be the same type as yours. It has a pretty rough texture to it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Cheapest and best that Ive found is Purple Power.
I can get a gallon for $5 at Dollar General, and mixed about 50/50 or less, thats enough to do a pretty big building.

I get a 5 gallon bucket, mix a bit and put in, then get a car wash type brush on a stick and dip and scrub.
You can use a spray bottle to, but it gets everywhere, and its not much fun to breath that stuff, nor is it much fun to get it in your eyes.

Scrub a bit, doesnt take much, then spray off with the garden hose.
Nothing to special or fancy required.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have had real good luck with "wet it and forget it". Comes in gallons on Amazon. Spray it on, a good soaking theN in a couple of days rinse it off. I have also used it on a roof and just let the rain wash it off. Very happy.
2x on Wet and Forget. Available from Amazon, most hardware stores, Costco, etc. It truly is a spray on and forget product that works amazingly well.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Most of those spray on hose off cleaners work great just be careful if you buy the wrong one it may dull your siding.. try it on a small area not so noticeable first... TSP can also work great for ya if you have a pressure washer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya, I was gonna say TSP or bleach. Maybe 1 cup per gallon and see how that works. Simple Green is also good for just about anything. You got a hand pump sprayer?

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, I was gonna say TSP or bleach. Maybe 1 cup per gallon and see how that works. Simple Green is also good for just about anything. You got a hand pump sprayer?
Yes I do. Although the more I think about this project the more I am inclined to just go ahead and use my electric pressure washer and siphon in some cleaner through the detergent tube.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yes I do. Although the more I think about this project the more I am inclined to just go ahead and use my electric pressure washer and siphon in some cleaner through the detergent tube.
I did this earlier this spring to the back of the house and last weekend to the garage and one of the sheds. Diluted simple green in the cleaner tank on the electric pressure washer made a difference on how easy it came off the walls. I made a pass with the soap tip and let it sit for 5 minutes then went back with the 40* tip and it came off real easy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
X3 on the Wet and Forget and its on sale at Costco right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts