Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about replacing my 30 year old Gravely Promaster 100 (46” deck) ZTR with a 60” deck ZTR. I like the Gravely Pro Turn 100 series (same dealer I bought my Bobcat E42 from) but I’m very interested in the Deere commercial ZTRs, particularly the Z955M EFI. I’m a huge fan of fuel injection, my Honda eu7000 generator has fuel injection and it always quickly starts. No carbs with fuel bowls for fuel to sit in and turn to varnish.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was about to purchase a fuel injected Deere Ztrac last year for the same reasons. The salesman steered me to a carb model even though it was less expensive. He said they had a lot of injected models coming into the shop with issues. That said I'm very pleased with the Z920M that I ended up with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was about to purchase a fuel injected Deere Ztrac last year for the same reasons. The salesman steered me to a carb model even though it was less expensive. He said they had a lot of injected models coming into the shop with issues. That said I'm very pleased with the Z920M that I ended up with.
That’s interesting, I’m taking my 4720 in for service Tuesday and I’ll ask the Deere sales person about that.

I bought a new zero turn this year after being a Cub Cadet user for 11 years I went with Hustler 60" with a Kawasaki engine. I'm alot happier than I ever was with the cub.
My Bobcat dealer also carries Hustler, they had a 2018 lot queen I could buy at their cost (~$5500) but I wanted a suspension seat, that one was rigid. My 70 year old butt doesn’t like banging and bashing around any longer. I’m not mowing a nice yard so there’s lots of small rocks to run over.

Thanks guys for the comments, I really appreciate the help. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Geez, I’ve had a fuel injected engine on my Z for 1-1/2 seasons now. It’s awesome. I wouldn’t go back to a carb if you gave it to me. Fuel mileage is better, instant starts, no choke, what’s to miss?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which model Jason?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
The 915B is one of Deere’s greatest values and hits in my opinion. What a great machine honestly.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,308 Posts
Have a 997 with the 72" deck, probably overkill for your purposes.

Rock solid grass cutting beast, all the power you need with the 31 HP diesel, but probably overpriced and rough riding even with the mechanical suspension seat.

Keep saying I'm going to get an air suspension seat, but haven't made the move yet.

Haven't had problem 1 in the 5 years I've had it, mow about year round 12 acres a week, maneuverability is as important as speed in my book.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Returned from the Deere dealer a little while ago after dropping off my 4720 for service and talking to the salesman about ZTRs. I asked him about problems with the EFI engine and none that he was aware of. Deere’s EFI engines are made by Kohler, the ones with a carb are made by Kawasaki. I did a test run of a Z945M EFI with the tweel ‘tires’ with suspension seat and then for comparison another model with the usual pneumatic tires and a non-suspension seat. Humongous difference in comfort, I felt like I was floating over the ground with the tweel tires and suspension seat. The exact opposite with the other Z Track. The other Z Track was a carb model and it was a little fussy to start and stay running. The EFI engine started right up and idled nicely. The only negative and a very minor one is the EFI engine is a bit noisy but I always wear hearing protection when mowing so that’s a non issue.

The Z945M they had was a 52” deck but there’s one with a 60” deck at the other nearby dealer, the salesman is going to pick it up in the morning and give me a call. There’s a 99.9% chance that one will be on my trailer tomorrow.
:gizmo:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So there I was making the ~25 mile trip to the Deere dealer after the salesman called me and said he will be at the store with 'my' ZTR. I'm about a mile away from the store and he calls me and says "this one was supposed to have the suspension seat....." He's going to pick up the correct model at an Ag-Pro dealer about 70 miles away tomorrow. That's an hour and about 60 miles of my life I'll never get back. :nunu:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,308 Posts
So there I was making the ~25 mile trip to the Deere dealer after the salesman called me and said he will be at the store with 'my' ZTR. I'm about a mile away from the store and he calls me and says "this one was supposed to have the suspension seat....." He's going to pick up the correct model at an Ag-Pro dealer about 70 miles away tomorrow. That's an hour and about 60 miles of my life I'll never get back. :nunu:
You definitely need at least the suspension seat on it, couldn't imagine mine with
just a plain seat, would be unrideable above 6 - 7 MPH.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The salesman sent me a picture of my soon to be new Z Trax, he picked it up today. Long story short, I’ll get it Thursday. We’re both busy tomorrow or I would have picked it up tomorrow. No problem though, the ground is too wet to mow (an unusual situation here.)

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,627 Posts
Patience Gizmo.

He'll have it stuck soon enough......:lol:
One can only hope. Of course johncanfield has been running a ZTR for many years already so the probability is slim at best.:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
One can only hope. Of course johncanfield has been running a ZTR for many years already so the probability is slim at best.:lol:
The salesman sent me a picture of my soon to be new Z Trax, he picked it up today. Long story short, I’ll get it Thursday. We’re both busy tomorrow or I would have picked it up tomorrow. No problem though, the ground is too wet to mow (an unusual situation here.)
I am hoping he forgets this when the new toy arrives......:lol:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
One can only hope the new one is heavier then :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts