Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at installing an auto gate opener. Have a dual gate...its not a real heavy gate. Been reading a lot and it seems some don't have very good reviews. Any recommendations and tips you guys have on a good brand and things/features to know about?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've had Mighty Mule & Apollo electric gate controllers. I vote for Apollo but either one can be expensive to keep operating!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is a 14 ft. opening with double gates and Liftmaster openers. My gates are 450 ft. from the house so I went battery powered with a small solar panel to keep them charged. They are 6 years old with not one problem, never failed to open or close, and still have the same battery. These are high quality openers and I highly recommend them. You can see the openers down low on the other side of the gates. I had Mighty Mule on another property...I do not recommend them :thumbsdown: and I'll just leave it at that.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just installed an Apollo/Nice dual gate system with the 936 board. Works great! I still have to install an exit wand and the keypad. Does anyone know of a wireless intercom or intercom/keypad combo that will work at 12v about 400ft from the house through trees?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a 14 ft. opening with double gates and Liftmaster openers. My gates are 450 ft. from the house so I went battery powered with a small solar panel to keep them charged. They are 6 years old with not one problem, never failed to open or close, and still have the same battery. These are high quality openers and I highly recommend them. You can see the openers down low on the other side of the gates. I had Mighty Mule on another property...I do not recommend them :thumbsdown: and I'll just leave it at that.
The liftmaster system caught my eye as a good product but it seems that it can only be purchased through an installer - is that your experience?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had Mighty Mule & Apollo electric gate controllers. I vote for Apollo but either one can be expensive to keep operating!!!!
Thanks, I need to look into the Apollo system...never heard of that one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have the Might Mule running off a battery/solar charger. So far it is working fine. Two neighbors have them as well and recommend them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The liftmaster system caught my eye as a good product but it seems that it can only be purchased through an installer - is that your experience?
I did purchase mine through an installer. I didn't research whether or not I could purchase it directly as I was in a hurry at the time and wanted to ensure it was installed correctly. By purchasing thru an installer it came with a 1 year warranty on labor and 2 yrs. on parts.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,249 Posts
This is what I have.
ALEKO Dual Swing Gate Opener

It works as a gate opener should.
Only problem I had was, during a rain/lightening storm one of the magnetic switches was damaged. I replaced the switch and it went out again. I called customer service about my problem and they told me one of the motors must have also gotten damaged.
I ordered another complete gate opener kit, because the price difference between buying one motor, was almost as much as buying the complete kit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I have.
ALEKO Dual Swing Gate Opener

It works as a gate opener should.
Only problem I had was, during a rain/lightening storm one of the magnetic switches was damaged. I replaced the switch and it went out again. I called customer service about my problem and they told me one of the motors must have also gotten damaged.
I ordered another complete gate opener kit, because the price difference between buying one motor, was almost as much as buying the complete kit.
Thanks, that's another brand I never heard of and will research it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Might Mule running off a battery/solar charger. So far it is working fine. Two neighbors have them as well and recommend them.
Its great to hear you have had a good experience with the Mighty Mule...our Tractor supply sells them and all the accessories in various types of kits so that makes this option appealing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Its great to hear you have had a good experience with the Mighty Mule...our Tractor supply sells them and all the accessories in various types of kits so that makes this option appealing.

I don't know about other brands, but I have linked my Mighty Mule with the garage door buttons in my vehicles. Once you do the link process as outined for your car, you don't need to worry about keeping track of the remote control.

I suppose that would free up a remote control unit to keep on the tractor. Why didn't I think of that until just now?:banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts