Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing recommendations for a pull type swather We're looking into putting up our own hay. We would have about 160 acres of sorghum sudan grass and maybe some grass once in a while. I know this is a JD group but it can be any make. It will also be pulled by a 4020 for the foreseeable future. TIA

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Disc work slick on Sorghum and grass. I’d recommend a conditioner for that though or it will never dry down.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Disc work slick on Sorghum and grass. I’d recommend a conditioner for that though or it will never dry down.
I agree BUT I've observed where Sudan type crop cut by disc cutter will suffer from some stalks being shattered at cut area causing some of the plants to no grow back especially worse during drought conditions which makes next cutting stalks end up larger diameter. Maybe when I observed this stalk shattering of my neighbors field the disc blades were dull & needed replacing but I've witnessed this on more than 1 field cut by different operators. I agree Sudan type hay requires a conditioner to aid in drying of crop. Even with conditioner being utilized I've seen many rd bales of Sudan that's tobacco brown color from being baled at too high of moisture %.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree BUT I've observed where Sudan type crop cut by disc cutter will suffer from some stalks being shattered at cut area causing some of the plants to no grow back especially worse during drought conditions which makes next cutting stalks end up larger diameter. Maybe when I observed this stalk shattering of my neighbors field the disc blades were dull & needed replacing but I've witnessed this on more than 1 field cut by different operators. I agree Sudan type hay requires a conditioner to aid in drying of crop. Even with conditioner being utilized I've seen many rd bales of Sudan that's tobacco brown color from being baled at too high of moisture %.
Guess we never worried about that. It was always a one and done for us, either hay or silage. Season too short for regrowth except for maybe a bit of grazing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts