Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm purchasing a JD 4200 from my father. The tractor is in Michigan and I'm driving from NC to get it. I'm trying to figure out what size equipment trailer I should buy. My dad is not around to give me measurements. I've found the specs for the 4200, but this one has a 420 bucket loader and I think a 5' brush hog. Can anyone give me an idea how long the tractor is with this configuration? Also curious how much weight the bucket/loader and brush hog adds. I'm thinking a 5000 lbs payload trailer should be more than adequate.

Thank you.
Karson

·
Registered
532 Posts
Karson,

Based on other similar threads here, the consensus is that a 16’ or better yet, an 18’ tandem axle equipment trailer with a 7,000# weight rating and ramps, not a tailgate is what you should be looking at. Anything less than 16’ makes it difficult to balance the weight of the tractor and tongue weight.

Dave

·
Administrator
22,935 Posts
With a 5" hog you will need every bit of a 20' trailer, 7k minimum...10k would be better IMHO.

What are you towing with?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My opinion a 20foot for sure. My 2305 with loader and box blade has zero room to adjust for proper balance on a 16foot car hauler. I have to have the box blade basically touching end of trailer to get it right.

·
Premium Member
14,233 Posts
Wait a sec ! This is similar to another trailer thread running right now, and we made that OP buy a bigger truck to replace his F150 and get a commercial driver's license.

I'm thinking we need to upgrade this one to a KC130.

Reactions: 99f250
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.