Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've built a dozen of these over the years for friends and family. When they get hit with Oregon rains they weather a bit. I decided to take one of the ones I have and see if I could 'brighten it up'.

It looked like this one (4') when I started.

IMG_6106.JPG

While this one is not quite done it's looking pretty good (3') . . . Missey is very pleased, I'm a hero once again. :laugh:

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

After this bench dries a few days I'll take a piece of sandpaper to it and distress the paint job a little.

Whatcha think . . .

Oh here's one I built for a friend Missey worked with for years at the Gaston High School. Rita kept her on her covered porch out of the weather. It's still one of my favorites. (Sorry about the rotation.)

IMG_0026.JPG

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've built a dozen of these over the years for friends and family. When they get hit with Oregon rains they weather a bit. I decided to take one of the ones I have and see if I could 'brighten it up'.

It looked like this one (4') when I started.

View attachment 603649

While this one is not quite done it's looking pretty good (3') . . . Missey is very pleased, I'm a hero once again. :laugh:

After this bench dries a few days I'll take a piece of sandpaper to it and distress the paint job a little.

Whatcha think . . .

Oh here's one I built for a friend Missey worked with for years at the Gaston High School. Rita kept her on her covered porch out of the weather. It's still one of my favorites. (Sorry about the rotation.)

I like it, however I am really partial to the natural look. I am sure you have more than one day your are a hero to her.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it, however I am really partial to the natural look. I am sure you have more than one day your are a hero to her.
Yep, me too. But it must stay out of the weather or have a good 'marine grade' varnish applied.

Missey's said a few times this morning already . . . "It's darn cute". :laugh:

I should finish sanding it this afternoon. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished with a little sanding to distress and dull the finish so it doesn't look new.

Finished-1.jpg

Finished-2.jpg

I decided that I'll paint this bench as a John Deere bench . . . green and yellow with a few decals.

IMG_6106.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:bigthumb: Nice work, Marlin.

I've been wanting to build a couple of those, but haven't taken the time. Maybe this year.
:dunno:
flyweight ~ They are very easy to build, the ends first, and the the bench seat, top side boards and connecting rail under the seat. I glue, nail with brads, and screw it together and I've not heard of one coming apart yet.

I like the three footer best as it's easy to place just about anywhere. The four foot bench . . . not as easy.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John Deere Farm Bench

Well I finished with the recycle of the second farm bench. It looked pretty bad when I started, something you'd throw on the burn pile I'm afraid.

I'm getting a lot of use out of the mobile bench in the picture here. I move it out the overhead door when the weather cooperates and around the inside as needed when it doesn't.

Start 4' Bench.jpg

Now . . . not so bad maybe. :thumbup1gif:

Deere Bench.jpg

DSC_2908.jpg

DSC_2909.jpg

DSC_2910.jpg

DSC_2911.jpg

DSC_2912.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Looks darn nice Marlin. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
:bigthumb: i likee Marlin--looks great.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Great job Marlin!
They all look good. I would tend to agree with you on the 3ft sized one being easier to move around and use in different places. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts