Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions on getting rid of red ants. We have a tremendous amount of red ant mounds in our fields and woods. Some of the nests are 2-3 feet in diameter and a foot or so high. We have tried various ant killers with only limited success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Greg

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am looking for suggestions on getting rid of red ants. We have a tremendous amount of red ant mounds in our fields and woods. Some of the nests are 2-3 feet in diameter and a foot or so high. We have tried various ant killers with only limited success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Greg
Horny Toads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Amdro is the only thing that's ever really worked for me. Don't broadcast it, just treat each mound with a teaspoon or so. It's the ONLY thing that will keep the fire ants under control here in AR.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Red ants? The little boogers?
We got a bunch a couple years ago, during that nasty drought.

Plain old Sevin XLR or Macho 2.0 clears them out.

Macho was 4oz to the acre rate IIRC, but check the label.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I love it!

I'll bet that pisses off the little buggers! :good2:

Hmmm...if aluminum weren't so expensive, I wonder what Prairie Dog burrows would look like.
That guy actually sold that one on eBay, I think it brought $1,600-1,700.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for the information.

I should get into the art. With the number of nests I would be wealthy :mocking: Greg

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
Rear wheel of the tractor.
I've had reasonable luck running the rear wheel of the tractor over the nests, done about 1/2 hour to an hour before
dark.
Do it again the next day for the nests that are attempting to rebuild.
Seems to knock out 80% or so of the nests.
I than come back with Amdro for the few persistent ones left.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I really have no issue with a few red ant beds. Wait until you have to deal with Fire Ants......If they keep migrating northward, you may one day get to, although maybe not to the level some of us do, due to your cold, extended winters.

Red ants are relatively easy to control, with just about anything, including products containing Spinosad, diatomaceous earth or any ant killer granules. But they are a great food source for lizards, and other critters. If you poison and kill the red ants, you will lose other fauna too.

Reactions: BigJim55 and mjncad

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If they are anything like fire ants, the only advice I could give is to move:laugh: We can put amdro on a bed and kill it today and a new one shows up the next day a few feet from it

Reactions: mtrmn and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I've had good success with Orthene. Walmart has it for around $9. I push a stick into the center of the hive about 4 inches deep, pour about an half ounce of the powder in there and the mound will dry up. I mix it with water in a hand sprayer and spray around my beehives to control the ant population there.

I've gotten very good results, ymmv. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I do not know red ants preferred diet, but, for any sweet loving ant;
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon "20 Mule Team Borax" (Walmart sells it in the laundry detergent aisle)

k2-_51d3df44-6fe2-456f-89d3-39b35d9a5af0.v1.jpg

put it in a shallow dish, the worker ants feed it to the "queen", the ant hill stops.

The borax destroys their digestive tract!! :bigthumb:

CHEAP, too!!:yahoo:

After the ants are gone, you can add the left over Borax to the laundry to get the JD grease stains out of your jeans
Win, Win!! :mocking:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts