Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R, 120R, 60D MMM, BB5048L, BC-4215
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I stumbled across the Red Line Rock Bucket while looking for a tooth bar for my 1025R. As someone who has used one, would anyone be willing to share their experiences, pros and cons, if any? I am considering one for clearing brush and removing rocks of varying sizes from a large mound of undisturbed dirt. I am thinking about the 2" spacing version because I plan to mow the area once cleared. I didn't even know they existed, let alone used one, so I am still in the research phase.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I don't own one but I've kept my eye on the Redline rock bucket for a little over a year now. They look really nice so I just need to find the perfect project to use as an excuse to buy one.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I love mine, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I've used it for clearing brush, and it breaks ground very well, it's the 2" spacing version. Only con is if your ground is not very dry, the dirt won't filter out very well, and you're going to have to shake the bucket a lot to get it to sift when the ground is dry.

I kind of consider it a tooth bar on steroids, I've dug into solid, undisturbed, packed soil and it cuts in like butter, almost no resistance. Other than some paint missing, which can't be helped when you're using it, my bucket is still in like-new condition, it holds up very well, and we have rocky soil here, it's glacial till.

In clearing the brush, I tip the bucket down about 20 degrees and scrape it along the dirt, then lift up to pull everything that gets caught between the teeth. Depending on how long the vegetation is (mine was Himalayan blackberries, some vines over 20') you may have to drive with your bucket elevated so the vegetation doesn't fall off, as there's no lid like on a grapple. I would usually take 3-5' cuts into the vegetation, that seemed to be about what it could do and still scrape the ground before the teeth filled up. Much faster than my other option though, which was hand clearing.

After the clearing, it does a very nice job of smoothing too. I use the same 20 degree down angle, put the loader in float, and back drag the area, comes out very nice.

I also use it to groom my horse arena in the same manner, so if that's something you have, it works well for that.

One other thing, I'm not sure where you're located, but if you get snow, it will also break apart frozen piles of snow if you find it you need to move them. My regular bucket stops dead trying to penetrate those frozen lumps, the rock bucket cuts right in.

We bought the rock bucket because we bought a property that needed the small pastures completely renovated. We picked the first half acre of rocks by hand, then bought the bucket for the rest. I actually cut a couple pieces of expanded steel to fit in the bucket and sifted down below the 2 inch spacing, it worked very well, but required a lot more shaking of the bucket.

Plant Plant community Green Motor vehicle Vehicle

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Natural environment

Plant Plant community Natural environment Vegetation Flower

Plant Plant community Tent Natural environment Tree

Grille Plant Green Mesh Line

Plant Tree Grass Groundcover Agriculture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the quick reply. I've discovered the mound of dirt I want to move is full of rocks and pieces of small roots and picking them out by hand is proving to be a waste of time. My biggest concern is how durable the tines are. Are they easy to bend?

The before and after pictures you posted looks a lot like the brush I would like to remove. Thanks for the tips on how to clear brush. I didn’t even think about snow. I have to plow a lot wider than my driveway so that I have somewhere to push the snow because I can’t move the frozen piles. That’s awesome that it will work for that as well.

I thought of a couple more questions.

1. Aside from using the bucket when the soil is not dry enough, have you had any issues with rocks or debris getting stuck between the tines or bending them?

2. Has the necessary shaking of the bucket resulted in any noticeable concerns like excessive wear or damage to parts or hydraulics?

I'm surprised how little information I have been able to find about the rock bucket. I can't find any videos of it being used or people talking about it. I did find an old discussion where someone claimed they had one and basically said it didn't work and was hard on the tractor but, so far, that has been the only negative comment I've heard. It seems people love them, I just can't find any details, pics, or videos. I guess people think that because the function of the attachment is so simple, they don't see a need to go into much detail?

·
Premium Member
13,033 Posts
Hello,
I stumbled across the Red Line Rock Bucket while looking for a tooth bar for my 1025R. As someone who has used one, would anyone be willing to share their experiences, pros and cons, if any? I am considering one for clearing brush and removing rocks of varying sizes from a large mound of undisturbed dirt. I am thinking about the 2" spacing version because I plan to mow the area once cleared. I didn't even know they existed, let alone used one, so I am still in the research phase.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I can't think of a better way to screen rocks and debris from piles of soil without hands on or using fencing, etc at home as the screen. In fact, our local landscape supply yard uses one to screen their larger rocks and get the gravel and smaller rocks out of their material as they couldn't run the larger rocks through their normal "screening machine" and the rock bucket allowed them to sell 80 yards of 3" to 5" rocks for finished landscape work which no one would purchase before because of all of the gravel and dirt which was in it. For screening, it should be ideal as long as the spacing meets your needs.

For clearing brush, it should work fairly well catching the debris which forks would normally drop. You might end up with brush tangled in the bucket from time to time, but there are a number of ways to clean or clear those out.

Which tooth bars were you looking at? I have the Piranah tooth bar and its use for digging out rocks, etc. is not its primary purpose. Its better at severing vines and small brush with its sharp edge, but its not really helpful for carrying debris in the bucket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which tooth bars were you looking at? I have the Piranah tooth bar and its use for digging out rocks, etc. is not its primary purpose. Its better at severing vines and small brush with its sharp edge, but its not really helpful for carrying debris in the bucket.
I looked at both the Heavy Hitch and Piranha tooth bar. What you said about the PTB is the consensus I got, so I was leaning towards the HH version because you don’t have to cut any holes in the bucket and I want to able to remove as much of the roots as possible, rather than just cut them.

Based off what The Satch posted, I’m thinking the Rock Bucket should work better for my needs than either tooth bar would.

In my head, I’m thinking I could use the RB to clear and either make a pile of brush to burn or switch to the grapple to move the brush to a burn pile. Then, once the area has been cleared, I can use the RB to sift the rocks from the soil to make it usable to fill in low areas and to make what’s left easier on my mower.

I’ve had pretty good luck clearing with a standard bucket. However, removing the rocks and debris by hand is quickly becoming an excercise in futility, so the idea of being able to do it faster and without leaving the seat is hard to beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wife and I were picking up walnuts around some dirt I had moved and I mentioned that if I had a rock bucket before moving the dirt, I wouldn’t be picking up rocks now. She said, “So get one.”

I called and asked some questions, found out there was a shipping terminal near by we could have it sent to. Was all set to order until she asked me which one I was going to get. I told her the 2” version because less rocks will make it easier to mow. She thinks the 3” version so it will be easier to sift the dirt.

When I called, I was told the 2” version works works better in sandy soil and the 3” works better for northern states because they tend to have clay and/or wetter and stickier soil. I haven’t found any clay yet and when I’ve filled small holes or depressions, I’ve been able to sprinkle the dirt as I slowly uncurl the bucket while I back up. I haven’t had any issues with clumping or sticky soil.

So now I’m sitting here ready to order, but don’t know which one. I guess I could always get the 3” and modify it latter like The Satch did with some expanded steel. Would be nice if I could rent one so I would have a benchmark to know which would work best for my yard. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a Red Line rock bucket mid summer to use on my JD 3520. I purchased the 72" wide model with 2" spacing. In my area, I need to remove as many small rocks as possible with each pass. I have probably used it as much for digging up brush/roots as rock removal. I have been totally pleased with it's performance, the fit and finish of the bucket itself, and the service once my order was placed.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Get the 2" version for the bucket you choose.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
72 Posts
hrm. didn't know anyone made one of these. I bought a skid-steer mount bucket, ground the mounts off and just haven't put the JDQA mounts on yet. Think I'm probably $350 into the bucket and $50 into the pre-made mount lugs... Probably will end up cheaper on my end, but it's also a wider bucket... Something to be said about just ordering and it shows up. (y)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have one. It works great for clearing the land and sifting the debris from loose soil. It's gets the bigger rocks up just fine but you are not going to get 100% of the rocks just be aware. I will go to this bucket if I need to clear an overgrown area or something of that nature. I have not bent any tines yet and I am not easy on my equipment. I bent a tine on a my grapple so....the rock rake from REDLINE is a solid well built piece.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one. It works great for clearing the land and sifting the debris from loose soil. It's gets the bigger rocks up just fine but you are not going to get 100% of the rocks just be aware. I will go to this bucket if I need to clear an overgrown area or something of that nature. I have not bent any tines yet and I am not easy on my equipment. I bent a tine on a my grapple so....the rock rake from REDLINE is a solid well built piece.
Good to hear about the tines, that was one of my concerns. As far as sifting, I already know I’ll probably have to do like The Satch did and use some expanded steel to sift out some of the smaller stuff.

I’m still trying to decide which version. Does the spacing really matter if I plan to use an insert like expanded steel to sift our smaller rocks? Will one version work better for clearing brush than another?

I’m still leaning towards the 2” version, just trying to make sure I order the right one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had one for about a year now with the 2" spacing live in the middle of Mn.I use it a lot in fact used it today for about 2-3 hours clearing brush leaves and crap from wooded area no regrets in getting it. I think the spacing could matter depending on the type of soil you will be working in most of the time. When I got mine I went to factory and picked it up and talked right to the owner and for me and in the sand said the 2" would work and it does once in awhile have to shake it a bit to clean the tines out. Other wise saves alot of manual labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts