Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I purchased a couple JD oil filters from GFP (AM125424). These filters are used on the Kawasaki engines in the lawn and garden tractors. I've been buying these filters for many years but this time I noticed that they appear to be a new design. I'm not sure if it was deliberate or a result of a change in manufacturers. In any case, I'm not sure if I like the new filters as compared with the old.

The new filters weigh less than the old filter. The older filter weighs 7.25 oz. and the new filter weights 6.50 oz. I suspect this is due to the plastic that now seems present in the new filter and also the thinner end material used on the new filter. As you can see in the photos below, the old filter had an end plate that was made from very thick steel. The new filter seems to have a sheet metal baffle over top of a second end plate. Also, as you can see the box for the new filter is slightly taller even though the two filters are the same height. The new filter appears to be slightly smaller in diameter. I didn't have my calipers handy but my oil filter wrench barely fits the flutes on the old filter whereas it slips on the new filter much easier and actually has a bit of play. This could also be due to the flutes being a slightly different shape on the new filter. I'm not sure if the play is enough to allow the oil filter wrench to slip, but it is definitely a looser fit.

It would be interesting to cut the old and new filters apart to see just what they changed inside.

Anyone else notice these redesigned oil filters?

Attachments

Reactions: OxPath and Gizmo2

·
Registered
906 Posts
That same filter also fits B&S. Must be used on a whole boat load of models.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
This spring when I change the oil in the Z915E, my "old" filter wrench (socket type) didn't fit the "new" filter. :banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,450 Posts

·
Administrator
18,808 Posts
Reactions: rtgt

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,450 Posts
Thats why I switched to this style, they are not picky. I bought two different sizes that cover just about anything.
I use a similar one. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,450 Posts
Too bad I now have a drawer full of "the other kind"....:banghead: :lol:
I also had a drawer full..........................................I don't any more. :munch: :lol:

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats why I switched to this style, they are not picky. I bought two different sizes that cover just about anything.

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive
I have one of those too... but... they can only loosen a filter. I like the cup-style because I can also use it to tighten the filter a half-turn without marring the filter. This is handy for tightening when you have a filter in a recessed area where it is difficult to get your hands around it.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 9 of 9 Posts