Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering we refill or top off our tank after using our tractor so we don't get Condensation in the tank. So now we used let's say 3 gallons from our portable tanks so they don't get Condensation sitting in the barn or where ever we have them? Just a question. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
303 Posts
If your storage tank is vented, you might get some condensation, but if you can seal the tank between uses, you shouldn't get any.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Your tractor's fuel tank may be more likely to get condensation because the circulating fuel from the injectors gets warmed by the engine and circulated back to the tank. So over time while the tractor is in use the temperature of the fuel in the tank will rise and then cool once it is parked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your storage tank is vented, you might get some condensation, but if you can seal the tank between uses, you shouldn't get any.
Put a desiccant breather on the vent.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Your tractor's fuel tank may be more likely to get condensation because the circulating fuel from the injectors gets warmed by the engine and circulated back to the tank. So over time while the tractor is in use the temperature of the fuel in the tank will rise and then cool once it is parked.
Thanks, I did not know that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just want to say thanks for the replies. I did work for Bay City Light and Power but the fuel tanks for us and the rest of the City are buried where there's not much change in the temperature of the tanks thanks again

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did work for Bay City Light and Power but the fuel tanks for us and the rest of the City are buried where there's not much change in the temperature of the tanks . . . .
But still, when fuel is pumped out, air, along with whatever is in the air, goes in. If I had a storage tank, especially an outdoor above ground tank in a high humidity area, I'd seriously consider a breather. These guys sell them, but there is still good information on their page. Desiccant Fuel Tank Breathers Hope someone finds this useful.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
But still, when fuel is pumped out, air, along with whatever is in the air, goes in. If I had a storage tank, especially an outdoor above ground tank in a high humidity area, I'd seriously consider a breather. These guys sell them, but there is still good information on their page. Desiccant Fuel Tank Breathers Hope someone finds this useful.
I never knew such a thing existed!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I never knew such a thing existed!
I never knew they existed for fuel tanks before yesterday. I became familiar with their use on transformers back when I used to work on electrical "stuff." When I saw the post about sealing the vent, I thought I'd do a quick search.

·
Registered
515 Posts
A friend of mine made a big deal out of getting a large tank even though he doesn't use that much diesel. Since he is an engineer and I'm just a local yocal there was no need to get into a peeing contest with any advise. But anyway I've found the best way to service fuel in my two tractors....1025r and 4400 is to use ventless containers. I can't recall the manufacturer but I do know they are explosion proof used in the mines. They have a spring loaded sealed top. 5 gallon size which is management for filling, however I use a radiator can and put 2-3 gallons in at a time and with the spout I never have any accidents. Works like a charm Having a large tank on premises attracks two things...water and thieves...I know you can get around the moisture but with the limited amount of fuel these tractors use the extra is not worth the effort on my part. I think the cans are made my Eagle and are about $50 new. I pick mine up at flee markets used for a few dollars. I suppose this issue can be any angle...but this is my take...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Machineryman I remember my wife telling me about her grandfather, they my father in law and his father in law lives on a 2 lane highway back in the day. Her GP had a big farm in those days and had a fuel tank in the air, he kept a 1 gallon can filled with water right below the tank. As people run out of gas they take the can, in the morning the car and can is sitting somewhere in the area. She told me GP had a lot of laughs :lolol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts