Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a thread on a John Deere 423 front blade that I purchased and refurbished for my John Deere (JD) 850 tractor. My JD 850 is the standard 2WD and did not come with the hydraulic selector control valve (SCV) body, hydraulic plumbing/fittings or quick couplers. It was built in 1982 and I’ve done a lot of upgrades to it including new hydraulic fluid and screen replacement before this addition. The JD 423 is an accessory built in the later 1979 to mid 1980’s for use on the 850, 950, and 1050 tractors. I wanted a front mounted blade exclusively for snow removal and really didn’t want a FEL. I’m located in Washington State and located one of the JD 423 blade and frame sitting in a field in Pennsylvania. With corporation of a very nice guy who does salvage sales he sold it to me and we were able to freight it to me on the West coast. I saw photos of the blade and assembly frame so I was aware of the blades condition. It was rusty but still pretty much intact. The previous owner(s) along the way had done some modifications to it. Including relocating one trip spring (I guess to allow it to have more articulation), welding of several plates and other connections, and the removal of the bracket which would allow the optional angling kit (allowing hydraulic articulation). I also had to fabricate a missing bottom frame support that was missing (probably left on the tractor it was removed from) and fix/fabricate pieces prior owner had put on the blade and parts that were removed to make it more like the original design. Most of the blade parts are no longer available but several work arounds exist. I was able to get new trip springs of similar size and diameter and source hydraulic cylinder of same size, rod diameter, and operational specifications. The original cylinder (for blade lifting) that came with it could have been rebuild but the rod chrome needed to be reworked so I opted for a new cylinder plus I needed another one for the angling function. I replaced all the fasteners too with Grade 8 bolts and hardware. I also found an OEM SCV off eBay that was made for this tractor. Most of the parts are still available from JD were available to rebuild the SCV, which I was able to do (OEM rebuilt kits and complete new OEM valves are impossible to locate; aftermarkets exist and that could be an option for people). I was also able to source the fittings and plumbing. Selection of the SCV and plumbing can be complicated because not one size fits all for these tractors. There are so many variations for these tractors and different SCVs and plumbing. However, anyone attempting this will need the tractor serial number, the owner’s manual, the shop manual helps (the owner’s manual tells you actual how to connect the plumbing), a lot of patience, and caution with respect to high pressure produced by the hydraulics pump. You'll need to know if your tractor model has a built-in hydraulic pressure by-pass (earlier models did not) to determine if you need a SCV with a pressure relief. JD made a lot of variations thought the years they produced the '50' series tractors so your install will be specific to the one you have. The serial number is what you'll need and a lot of research (I did a lot of research for both rebuilding the blade and the hydraulic function-there is a lot of parts; it took me several months to connect all the dots). I had some trouble with the hydraulic couplers interfering with an aftermarket ROPS they added to the tractor but overcame that issue with some street fittings and other special rated hydraulic fittings. The hoses and end fitting I got from Discount Hydraulics Hose and their service and quality is top notch! Anyway, it all is completed and functional works smooth with no issues and no leaking. I’ll test it all this winter in the snow. Let it snow!!! See attached photos (some of them were taken from the the shipper's end and on my receipt of the incoming unit and during the rebuild; they are not in any particular chronological order).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Looks great. You do some nice work.(y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,369 Posts
Nice job cpchri1 (y)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Very nice recovery. Good luck with the snow removal, and be sure to post pictures.

Reactions: cpchri1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice recovery. Good luck with the snow removal, and be sure to post pictures.
Thanks all for the compliments. I will post some photos of snow removal. We often don’t get much snow in my area until late December. Attached is a photo of this tractor doing some light snow work last year before I got this front blade. Chains on all 4 wheels helps too.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts