Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I was hoping somebody can help me with a wiring diagram to wire up a linear actuater. I know deere has solenoids in the older electric lift but i would like to use small relays(limited space). I know how to wire up a dpdt switch but i thought a couple relays would be more reliable any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Rick

·
Registered
474 Posts
Relays are a fairly straight forward piece of equipment. Think of them as remote switches that are operated by another switch located somewhere else....unless you are trying to use them to reverse polarity in which there are ways of wiring SPST (single pole single throw) to act like SPDP (single throw double pole) or DPDT (double pole double throw) then it gets a little bit harder! :mocking:

What is it you are trying to accomplish, I might be able to give you some help...good or otherwise! :lol:

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Reactions: Kennyd and Tomfive

·
Registered
991 Posts
Rick, Unless the amp load on the linear actuator is more than a switch will handle, $ & ¢ wise...and space too... you'll be better off with a 3 position dpdt rocker switch or momentary toggle switch. You'll need a switch anyhow, so why add relays? In case you go with a single toggle or rocker switch, here's a quick schematic. VERIFY terminal connections before wiring, some switches are connected internally. Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If your heart is set on relays, the link drifterbike provided has a nice drawing. That being said, it is really not necessary if you're utilizing a quality switch...and you'll want a quality switch not just for the current handling capabilities, but dust and water sealing. I utilized a Carlington switch and a 10 amp self resetting circuit breaker for mine. Here is a link to the thread I authored on cab wiring. Within that, I included links to where I sourced the switch and other components:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/138178-cozy-factory-cab-equipped-install-1025r.html

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys. I am open to just running a good quality switch. What i was planning to do is hook up a linear actuater for an late 80 s early 90s year old man that doesnt have the strenght to lift his snowblower on his lawn tractor any more. I had the thought that if I used relays to wire up the actuator it might be more reliable for him, but I am all about making it simple just as well. I just wasn't sure where I could find a switch that I thought would be robust enough to be reliable for him. It's on a 2000 series cub cadet which is truly an MTD product. He asked about some type of hydraulics so I went searching on you tube and seen something very close to what he has, They are using an actuator.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. I am open to just running a good quality switch. What i was planning to do is hook up a linear actuater for an late 80 s early 90s year old man that doesnt have the strenght to lift his snowblower on his lawn tractor any more. I had the thought that if I used relays to wire up the actuator it might be more reliable for him, but I am all about making it simple just as well. I just wasn't sure where I could find a switch that I thought would be robust enough to be reliable for him. It's on a 2000 series cub cadet which is truly an MTD product. He asked about some type of hydraulics so I went searching on you tube and seen something very close to what he has, They are using an actuator.
There are lots of switches out there to chose from. If you want a rocker just change the word "toggle" to "rocker" in the search box.
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS778US778&ei=PcKcXMjIJOKZ_QaVwIewAQ&q=momentary+double+pole+double+throw+toggle+switch&oq=momentary+double+pole+double+throw+toggle+switch&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i30.51129.54375..54709...0.0..0.92.1570.20......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i304i39j0i7i30j0i8i7i30j0i8i13i30j0i8i30j0i13j0.tUrpU7QF-cc

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
For best reliability select a switch based on current capacity and pick one with more than enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts