Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, we relocated a Bradford Pear tree in our backyard.

We planted the tree a little over 3 years ago. Now, we have decided to build a garage/storage building in this area (to provide a home for the 1025R).

So, we could have cut the tree down (the logical approach), spent $25 on a new small tree to plant in a new location and moved on to another project.
However, this would not have been any fun. We wouldn't have been able to use the 1025R for anything significant. So, this plan was quickly thrown out, and replaced with the more complicated plan of moving the tree to a new home on the other side of the yard.

My daughter (Katriel) was the videographer for this project, so if you choose to watch, you will get some "quality" (or at least entertaining) narration.
Unfortunately, neighbor Bob (age 87) is out of town for the weekend, so he didn't get to participate in this project. I'm sure he will be disappointed when he sees the fun he has missed.

The first link is to a youtube playlist which contains all 4 segments of the video. This is the best place to start. Easiest to navigate.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuUZ6lo0MDxB6gWQXFkpwY4nTG-HZkI9O

Here are the links to the individual parts of the video. Get the popcorn and enjoy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice job

Timmarks: very well put together complete job. Great video that will help all new green owners see just what these great machines will do in the hands of an experienced owner. All can see it's more then a pretty face. Thank you for sharing . Your post gave my wife some great ideas of what is possible.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I only watched part of the videos, but your daughter's narration was cracking me up - "I think the ultimate goal of having a tractor is to try and look manly!" :lolol: She must have heard that from Mom! :laugh:

Isn't it funny how we come up with projects to justify our toys? :good2: NICE job on the move!

I've said this in other posts to you, but I'll bet you're the envy of a lot of your neighbors in Carmel! I used to live in an area very similar to Carmel and my neighbors called me "Tool Man" just because of my Gravely and it's attachments. Now I live on 5 acres in the country so my 3520 is just considered an "average" piece of equipment.

Have your neighbors started hitting you up to do things for them with your tractor? There's an old saying that says "If you have a truck, you will always have friends." I think the same thing probably holds true for owning a tractor.

HAVE FUN!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only watched part of the videos, but your daughter's narration was cracking me up - "I think the ultimate goal of having a tractor is to try and look manly!" :lolol: She must have heard that from Mom! :laugh:

Isn't it funny how we come up with projects to justify our toys? :good2: NICE job on the move!

I've said this in other posts to you, but I'll bet you're the envy of a lot of your neighbors in Carmel! I used to live in an area very similar to Carmel and my neighbors called me "Tool Man" just because of my Gravely and it's attachments. Now I live on 5 acres in the country so my 3520 is just considered an "average" piece of equipment.

Have your neighbors started hitting you up to do things for them with your tractor? There's an old saying that says "If you have a truck, you will always have friends." I think the same thing probably holds true for owning a tractor.

HAVE FUN!!
Mark,

Thanks for the nice comments.

I've had a few 'neighbor' projects. However, for the most part, it seems the Carmel-ites don't realize what could be done with this little tractor. I offer my services to everyone I know (for free). I'm surprised I don't get more takers.
They just call some professional and pay $500 or more to get the job done.

I think folks just can't imagine the types of projects we could tackle.

This is the main reason I do the videos. I just want people to see what can be done, and how easy it is to do.

My daughter has been having fun with the narration. I'm not sure where she comes up with all of it. But it is fun.
...I don't remember talking to her about Mexican Drug Cartels!?!

I would have edited the videos to make them shorter, but some of the best narration is in the most boring parts of the video, so I posted the raw footage unedited.

I figure some folks might want to watch the whole thing. Others can enjoy the portions which interest them.

Tim

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timmarks: very well put together complete job. Great video that will help all new green owners see just what these great machines will do in the hands of an experienced owner. All can see it's more then a pretty face. Thank you for sharing . Your post gave my wife some great ideas of what is possible.:thumbup1gif:
Jep,

So, what are some of those ideas your wife is signing you up for?

Tim

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Good job Tim. I liked the videos and was sorry to see them end. :munch:

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
tree moving

tinmarks; hey I have to say ur family and u make some great entertaniment , I laughed the whole way thru, especialy all the math lessons!! I also noticed how much the garden has grown, since the last video posted, I would be very proud of that garden, it looks good. thanks again, big jim

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Thanks for posting. I really didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing, but I WILL BE BACK to watch when I have more time. Your daughter is a riot with her narration and it seemed like it was a fun family affair.

The only thing I noticed that I wanted to caution you is not having people near your forks or backhoe when you're working the controls. I know you try to be careful, but one wrong move and injury can occur. There's a lot of power behind the hydraulics, and I know that I've slammed my backhoe against the stops more than once. I can't really tell if your wife and daughter were really that close to your tractor, just hope you all stay safe.

But I really enjoyed your video. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tinmarks; hey I have to say ur family and u make some great entertaniment , I laughed the whole way thru, especialy all the math lessons!! I also noticed how much the garden has grown, since the last video posted, I would be very proud of that garden, it looks good. thanks again, big jim

Ugh. The sweet corn is all almost flat this morning. Big wind and another inch of rain last night. ...almost 3 inches in 3 days, after 4+ inches last week.
Sad to see it laying out flat on the ground. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry about the garden, Tim, but chances are it will recover. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself about ours.
The videos were so entertaining, thanks to your talented daughter! My wife and I enjoyed the whole process but must admit the commentary was what kept us watching. Not to say you aren't a very good operator, that's easy to see. All this rain will help the tree survive, but I wish we could share some with our friends more to the West.

I'd say your daughter is a natural for "field news reporter" on TV if she should choose to do so later on. Heck, she could replace any of those that I watch right now!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the garden, Tim, but chances are it will recover. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself about ours.
The videos were so entertaining, thanks to your talented daughter! My wife and I enjoyed the whole process but must admit the commentary was what kept us watching. Not to say you aren't a very good operator, that's easy to see. All this rain will help the tree survive, but I wish we could share some with our friends more to the West.

I'd say your daughter is a natural for "field news reporter" on TV if she should choose to do so later on. Heck, she could replace any of those that I watch right now!

tommyhawk
Tommy,

Thanks for the kind words.

My daughter (Katriel) is interested in Agri-Genetics/Bio Engineering. She plans to attend either Purdue, or the University of Illinois next year (2016). She wants to "feed the world's hungry via better Genetically modified seeds".

As for my "operator skills", well, I'm still attempting to get comfortable with the backhoe. For instance, in part 1, I get a large scoop of dirt ready to put on the trailer, then promptly dump it out on the ground! Unfortunately, the hoe does what I TELL it to do rather than what I WANT it to do!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Ugh. The sweet corn is all almost flat this morning. Big wind and another inch of rain last night. ...almost 3 inches in 3 days, after 4+ inches last week.
Sad to see it laying out flat on the ground. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture!
Don't mess with the corn, it will stand back up on it's own.

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Love it Tim! She is a fantastic :yahoo:

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
Don't mess with the corn, it will stand back up on it's own.
Tinmarks; yes I agree with levi, IT WILL STAND BACK UP ON IT'S OWN POWER, a little sun will do mircales.:bigthumb:big jim corn is amazing in having the abilty to do this.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The corn is a bit better this morning. The second planting is in the worst condition. I planted it too thick. ...was greedy!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436963916.895984.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436963947.102693.jpg

We're already enjoying the first crop!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436963979.747790.jpg

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437176593.492862.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437176607.194089.jpg

Any chance of it living? It certainly doesn't look good to me. Hoping a tree expert on GTT will have a more positive outlook!

We've had almost 3 inches of rain in the week since transplanting it, and we've watered it as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
View attachment 48751

Any chance of it living? It certainly doesn't look good to me. Hoping a tree expert on GTT will have a more positive outlook!

We've had almost 3 inches of rain in the week since transplanting it, and we've watered it as well.
Rut-Row! Doesn't look promising.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts

No expert here but it's waaaay too early to tell.
Note: Fertilizer spikes are your friend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts